NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I'll give it a miss then, I've got a crappy laptop that would probably struggle to run the original Lemmings.

I have Transcended. Made a Portable ID to show it off :) Thanks to dwarf for the advice.

Congrats on the Plat for wipeout. When I first bought the game, I realised that plat would never be mine.

Wasn't expecting that. I switched my pre-order from the 360 to the PS3 version way back when.

So much for Microsoft's deal.

I can't believe MS did a money hat mostly for an announcement... This just proves even more that there is no such thing as a third party exclusive and that the first/second party games are what make a console.

Microsoft have gotten what they wanted from it. They were just looking to 'lay claim' to GTA and break the intrinsic mental link the series had to the PlayStation brand, which I'd say they pulled off. Microsoft have made a point of gunning for all of the big third-party series that defined the PS2 — DMC, FF, MGS, etcetera — a strategy which I personally find a little backwards, albeit understandably so.

Anyway it isn't a sure thing yet, but I'd be surprised if it isn't true. Terminally exclusive DLC simply doesn't make sense.

PS3 Slim next to the Wii:

SDC13314-620x.jpg

Sony's PS3 Slim Carries Updated Cell Chip

"Sony has made some enhancements under the hood to boost its processing speed and power efficiency. The gaming console will carry an upgraded version of the Cell microprocessor, which is being jointly developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba."

"IBM spokesman said. Based on IBM's Power architecture, the chip delivers many performance improvements while drawing less power than earlier chips, IBM has said. The earlier console carried a Cell processor manufactured using the 65-nm process. IBM declined to provide the clock speed of the new Cell processor."

Hmmm, don't know what the better chip will actually mean in terms of performance. Quicker loading?

Hmmm, don't know what the better chip will actually mean in terms of performance. Quicker loading?

Yes, quicker loading times.

Processor is the same CELL type just smaller. For faster loading upgrade your harddrive.

Congrats on the Plat for wipeout. When I first bought the game, I realised that plat would never be mine.

I thought that when I got it, but I got there, it's just one long slog of a trophy to get.

I thought that when I got it, but I got there, it's just one long slog of a trophy to get.

Funny thing is that you may only have 1 plat trophy likr myself, but that one holds so much weight. Competitive side that I keep hidden is stirring.

I think my Wolverine Plat is the one I'm happiest about. I just had so much fun playing it. And partly because my other plats are Burnout (I completed that almost 3 times), Buzz (Only one or two of them is really that hard, the rest just take y'ages) and Terminator (which I still maintain is quite fun and easily better than the film).

My PS3 has just become even shitter. No longer connects to PSN despite working fine for the past ages, comes up with DNS/IP issues. It seems if I fix one the other doesn't work so I can never complete the connection tests.

And advice would be appreciated. A Nelson laugh would not be appreciated, but I guess I'm kind of asking for it.

joker_killing-joke_480_1201830092.jpg

It's karma; it's because you touch yourself at night.

Seriously though, that's lame. You decided what you're going to do with it? Fix/Refurb/Slim?

Don't have a fecking clue. I'm wondering if my system is actually worth that much anymore, certainly not the £240 I spent on it a year ago.

I'm not ringing Sony yet, because I have very little money and my Dad is refusing to pay anything atm. I'm waiting to see what Sony offer to my friend who is in a similar predicament, plus I don't want to call without having my data backed up onto an external HDD, so I can either borrow one this friend has or get a cover (I think that's what Cooky said) for my 250gb so I can just put everything on that straight away.

It's not looking good for me basically. If there's a £50 solution I'll take it, but the chances are Slim. Wahey...

Couldn't you claim it on house insurance? That's what i did with my laptop. Got £540, the cost of repairs. (Although I actually just bought a £260 netbook instead and kept the rest. MacBook? ArseBook more like.)

As far as I'm aware, you call them up and tell them something is broken. Basically I got my mum to do it since she pays for the house insurance. It wasn't just my laptop that was broken, there were a couple other things.

Basically they asked for a quote for how much it would cost to fix so I took it to the apple store. They gave me a quote and insurance gave coughed up the money.

It should be the same with the PS3 if your home insurance covers it (I think it should). Not sure if there is an excess though.

Meh I'll see, anyway I've had enough with a shit PS3 tonight so going to get a pizza with a couple of people and actually use a working unit. I'm thinking some BF1943camaraderie is in order.

Depends on the type of cover and the level of contents insurance they have, and obviously what excess they have to pay. Anywho, no harm in asking.

If anyone is looking for a cheap Phat PS3 BuyItHere are doing 80GB for £180.

Edited by Ashley

I have decided to change my PSN box in my sig to the playfire ones recommend on the previous page. I approve! :)

Thanks for the ppl that recommended it!!

I have decided to change my PSN box in my sig to the playfire ones recommend on the previous page. I approve! :)

Thanks for the ppl that recommended it!!

No problemo. You are very welcome. Looks very nice i should add!