NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Well, Sony offered me a refurbished 60GB for around £120, which I declined for obvious reasons; I know that a couple of months ago they were repairing them for free which is a pain.

I've decided that I'm going to get rid of my current machine, so now it's just a question of finding the best place to fix it for a reasonable price before selling it on — I'm not risking an out of warranty relapse. That or trying to trade it in at my local Blockbuster because it's staffed by middle-aged women that probably wouldn't know how to test it... depends how much of a bastard I feel on the day, I suppose.

I think it's because Mat tolerates any FPS. I'm in the middle camp where I don't mind there being a lot of FPS but I really dislike the one's that have a rubbishy feel to them, ala Huarez. Shooting people in the demo just felt so poor.

Yeah, that pretty much covers my feelings. Like I said I'll probably shove it back in the post, I've got Arkham to explore anyway.

I really don't know how the loading could not annoy you. It literally happens every couple minutes. In KillZone 2 it was like a stutter but in this its a good 5/6 seconds.

It must be my copy of Killzone 2, because it takes about 5 seconds to load the next bit, I sometimes think it has crashed. But I can look past that, like I said it did not really bother me. As long as the actual gameplay played smoothly, then its good. I had some fun with it anyway. Better than Wolfenstein IMO.

re the load times for the slim: Before people start thinking the stuff on the internet are fact. They need to be tested properly with the same hdd on the systems.

There is video of the slim aginst the MGS4 80GB and the Slim trounces it in load speeds on Killzone 2 but i assume the 120GB HDD is likely faster overall or in most conditions anyway.

When i upgraded to my 320GB loading speeds increased all round too.

P.S the rpm, speed on its own is not that important for speed. The larger size makes a bigger difference due to hard disk platter sizes. Its when both dirves are equal that the rpm comes in.

Well, Sony offered me a refurbished 60GB for around £120, which I declined for obvious reasons; I know that a couple of months ago they were repairing them for free which is a pain.

I've decided that I'm going to get rid of my current machine, so now it's just a question of finding the best place to fix it for a reasonable price before selling it on — I'm not risking an out of warranty relapse. That or trying to trade it in at my local Blockbuster because it's staffed by middle-aged women that probably wouldn't know how to test it... depends how much of a bastard I feel on the day, I suppose.

60GB for £120 is pretty good! Its still the early adopter badge model and the ones that have the card readers, PS2 and 4 usb ports. :p

What do I do with content that is locked to my machine? (SingStar DLC)

You have to tell Sony. Thats the only way i am aware of.

No easier way around it. Unless i am miossing something.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

re the load times for the slim: Before people start thinking the stuff on the internet are fact. They need to be tested properly with the same hdd on the systems.

There is video of the slim aginst the MGS4 80GB and the Slim trounces it in load speeds on Killzone 2 but i assume the 120GB HDD is likely faster overall or in most conditions anyway.

When i upgraded to my 320GB loading speeds increased all round too.

P.S the rpm, speed on its own is not that important for speed. The larger size makes a bigger difference due to hard disk platter sizes. Its when both dirves are equal that the rpm comes in.

It seems the Phat is slightly quicker in most case's when using the same HDD.

http://kotaku.com/5348819/is-ps3-slim-slower-than-ps3-phat

To be fair the 'article' shows that the latest model has a small advantage when it comes to loading games, the circumstance where load times are actually important. In either case it's hardly a scientific test.

To be fair the 'article' shows that the latest model has a small advantage when it comes to loading games, the circumstance where load times are actually important. In either case it's hardly a scientific test.

Yeah kotaku who gives a damn. Most games site messed up with the 7,200 rpm drive tests too.

The slim is quite abit slower than the original for movies. For games its abit quicker. HDD or not.

Played the Fear 2 demo, wasn't a fan of the first demo but this second one was quite good, I liked the satisfaction factor from taking down some of the enemies. Movement/controls kinda clunky but something that I got used to throughout. Quite an actiony sort of thing and is worth a rent, moreso than WET anyway.

Played the plane-piloting thing and it was kind of like Red Baron, yet somehow with worse controls. Was terrible, you may as well get Google Maps on your PC monitor and glide a paper plane over it. That would be more fun and would look more believable than this game.

And completely trivial so let's move along now.

It might be trivial to you, but some people might like to discuss the Technical details of a new Console. And these same people might find your opinions on a game demo Trivial. Different strokes for different folks.

I did not intend to make that sound rude, just pointing out that the load speeds of a console is a valid discussion.

Well I'd say it is trivial, because the differences are so marginal that in the end you won't buy one over the other because of loading speed.

Talking about a demo is quite a normal thing to do and has more worth than getting worked up over some hardware differences that are hard to test accurately at this point.

Well I'd say it is trivial, because the differences are so marginal that in the end you won't buy one over the other because of loading speed.

It does not really bother me, but some people might be persuaded one way or the other by the amount of time it takes to load their game. However small amount of time that may be.

Talking about a demo is quite a normal thing to do and has more worth than getting worked up over some hardware differences that are hard to test accurately at this point.

Nobody is getting worked up over anything, I was merely pointing out that your obnoxious comment was not needed. There were three people discussing the load times, and just because the subject matter did not interest you, you felt the need to dismiss it as unimportant. Its got nothing to do with 'Worth'

I agree talking about a demo is quite normal. However, it does not interest me, and I do not feel the need to post a comment calling it 'Trivial'.

Anyway, whatever, this will be the last I will be saying on the matter. Its all just Trivial anyway.

Well I don't point out everything in this thread that I don't want to talk about. In this case it seemed like Choze was going to get into an argument and everything was going to balloon.

And don't be silly, you won't buy a certain model of PS3 because of the loading times, that's not going to factor in a decision when, as I said, it's so marginal. Maybe you're just fastidious, or you worry for those that are.

Well I don't point out everything in this thread that I don't want to talk about. In this case it seemed like Choze was going to get into an argument and everything was going to balloon.

And don't be silly, you won't buy a certain model of PS3 because of the loading times, that's not going to factor in a decision when, as I said, it's so marginal. Maybe you're just fastidious, or you worry for those that are.

Not so marginal in some tests.

I still prefer my launch model :p

Interesting to know that the Bravia Link feature also work with Panasonic Viera/Qlink too!

Edited by Choze

I know that my PS3 didn't take that long to load the KZ2 campaign. As you said yourself there's no facts yet, just varying tests.

Oh and can anyone tell me the reason that occasionally friends on the PS3 friend list flash (as in the font glows)?

Edited by dwarf

I know that my PS3 didn't take that long to load the KZ2 campaign. As you said yourself there's no facts yet, just varying tests.

Oh and can anyone tell me the reason that occasionally friends on the PS3 friend list flash (as in the font glows)?

lets time the KZ2 first level load?

I think it flashes for updated info.

Not so marginal in some tests.

I still prefer my launch model :p

Interesting to know that the Bravia Link feature also work with Panasonic Viera/Qlink too!

That is quite a substantial difference, although nothing thats going to make me upgrade from my Phat.

Maybe the bigger HDD is helping.

Some time after midnight. Not sure when. And have you never seen the friends names flash? It's not that noticeable, and it stops when you flick on and off their name. Strange, not sure exactly what it shows.

Happens to both online and offline people too I think.

Some time after midnight. Not sure when. And have you never seen the friends names flash? It's not that noticeable, and it stops when you flick on and off their name. Strange, not sure exactly what it shows.

Happens to both online and offline people too I think.

Just watching a film now will have a look when I'm done before I boot Batman Arkham Asylum back up.

Not here...although have contemplated it, I bought a DSi and a Megadrive before I went away though can't warrant a third hardware purchase so close together.

Well Flameboy there aren't always flashing names, every now and then a few appear to glow.

One thing how come Fat Princess didn't take off? Am I right in thinking it came out whilst I was away? Expected tons of people to be playing it but not once seen it being played by anyone on my friends list. It was meant to be huge, because of this I havn't invested yet.