NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

• Multi-Audio - Audio can now be output to multiple connectors simultaneously. You can set this option under [settings] > [sound Settings] > [Audio Multi Output].

Video Content Playback - During Video content playback, you can now use the right stick to play content in slow playback, fast reverse, and fast forward.

Settings Descriptions - Now below each setting option under the Settings tab on the XMB, there is now a brief description in small font.

New Start Up Logo - Upon starting up your PS3, you will be greeted with the new ‘PS3′ Logo.

Copy/Paste Function - There is now a copy/paste function for the web browser, and messages.

Internet Connection Speed Test - Check your internet connection upload/download speed. Go to [Network Settings] > [internet Connection Test]

Internet Browser Screen Capture Feature - Press Triangle on Internet Browser, then under File > Save Screenshot.

Custom Remote Play Settings - Manually set a device (such as a PSP system) to be used for remote play.

New Avatar Support - Support for future additions of PSN avatars has been added. No new avatars have been added along with the firmware. However the support is there.

“What’s New†– The “Information Board†will be replaced with a “What’s New†section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New†displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.

Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.

PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.

Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.

Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

That's some of the new features.

I hate the new massive font size and and the start up logo and they still haven't sorted out the music folder organisation.

One good thing, they removed the Platinum trophy from the percentage complete. I always thought that was dumb. Also, trophy syncing seems to be a lot faster.

Mine should arrive today aswell.

I see lots of peeps on neogaf are hating the new 3.0 update, something to do with big, grey boxes around the friendslist names or something. I guess I will find out what they are on about later.

Yeah the do look a bit odd and stand out a bit..They do look more like the profile cards that come up when you click on somebodies profile.

3.0 is live.

Edit: Lame, you can't stream iPlayer in HD. That's what I was hoping for.

I'm sure it will come in HD in good times...just glad we have got a proper version of it. Didn't expect it to be browser based still though but at least you don't have to muck about zooming in etc...sat watching mock of the week now! :)

Does it give the links to iPlayer anywhere? Im sure I remembered hearing that but couldnt see it on my quick look around of 3.0

EDIT: Ignore that, apparently I just completed missed the new TV bit

Oddly after updating and the system rebooting and everything else running the tv section wasn't there, had to reboot it again and it appeared.

That's some of the new features.

I hate the new massive font size and and the start up logo and they still haven't sorted out the music folder organisation.

One good thing, they removed the Platinum trophy from the percentage complete. I always thought that was dumb. Also, trophy syncing seems to be a lot faster.

Agreed. Sure some of the things they are touting as new features aren't new as well...

Oddly after updating and the system rebooting and everything else running the tv section wasn't there, had to reboot it again and it appeared.

Maybe thats what happened to me then and im not as stupid as I thought

Yeah, BBC iPlayer takes a bit of time to appear for some reason.

@flameboy, yeah you're right it'll probably come in time. I can't see it being hard to implement, that's why I was kind of annoyed. Although the quality is better than I thought it would be.

I'm also surprised it's still browser based. Can't Sony make a dedicated client?

4oD next PLEASE!! :smile:

Yeah, BBC iPlayer takes a bit of time to appear for some reason.

@flameboy, yeah you're right it'll probably come in time. I can't see it being hard to implement, that's why I was kind of annoyed. Although the quality is better than I thought it would be.

I'm also surprised it's still browser based. Can't Sony make a dedicated client?

4oD next PLEASE!! :smile:

Yeah I expected a client rather than a custom bit of flash running on the browser...Guess this is the easiest way of doing it and like I said its so much better than dicking around with it in the browser normally.

Yeah I really want 4oD next hope they actively expand the service rather than just leaving it.

Wonder why they have made the font size so much bigger!?

I like the new 'original' theme, has sparkles in the background with the colour you choose.

Iplayer looks like a little nice new addition as well, and as others have said, i hope that gets expanded on.

EDIT: Oh and i dont like the new logo at the start, at all. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Edited by Mike1988uk
Added Text

Should there be any information in the big grey box around the Friend name? It looks like it should display your Trophy Level or something. As it is, its exactly the same except with a great big grey box. Weird.

SLIM GET! Let the trophy addiction begin!

Welcome to the family! My PSN is zerolaff if you want to start building a NE friends list.

I've still got HoT from his first PS3. :heh:

Is that the account you're going to use?

Weird problem, I was on the iPlayer and the bottom and tops of the screen are cut off in fullscreen. It's happened when I'm on internet browser, the default page being playstation.com you can't see the logo on the top of the screen. Anyone else get this?

Annoying how the US got the LBP dynamic theme today but we didn't coupled with the whats new etc...I think these really could help to bring to life the xmb.

Hope they make the actual XMB smaller as it looks like it's zoomed in now and doesn't feel right.

On another note the PS3 Slim is definatly the sexiest console I've ever seen, looks amazing in real life.

I've still got HoT from his first PS3. :heh:

Is that the account you're going to use?

Yeah im using that account.

My 1st day with my new PS3 and already im having problems. Im trying to play Uncharted but the game keeps freezing I thought it may be the disc so I borrowed my mates copy and it keeps freezing in the same places. I tried Ratchet and that worked fine so im not sure whats going on?

hmmm dunno, reinstall the game data?

One wierd thing about the new firmware update, why does the whats new section for recently played only show home and my battlefield 1943 rather than batman arkham asylum which I have played a ton of.

I've seen some screenshots with the BBCi player on the XMB, what's that all about and when is it coming out?

PS3 get! Trying to hold back from playing for now, I've got work to catch up on. Had a brief go though. Slim is much sexier in real life thna it looked in pictures!

Where is the audio out on the back of the PS3? I couldn't find it. Or should I just use the audio connectors of the composite cable?

I've seen some screenshots with the BBCi player on the XMB, what's that all about and when is it coming out?

Its out now. Proper dedicated version of it with the crappy zooming needed before

hmmm dunno, reinstall the game data?

Just checked gamefaqs and others are having the same problem after the new update. Looks like 3.0 killed Uncharted!

I really want some other animated themes besides the default sparkles one. I really like being able to easily jump into iPlayer, lame it's not HD. I also like how you don't need to highlight a friend to see what they're playing now. Just wish we could use that cool new squares theme from the PSN store quick menus to access games stored in folders. That would be sweet and a bit like the stacks feature in OS X <3

Bought Infamous today as well :)

Does anyone know if i back up my PS3 to an external HDD if it's a full useable back up? And if I do this back up will I be able to access my SingStore stuff when i swap it in for the old HDD?

It's lame how quickly a 40GB HDD fills up. I can't play GTA IV or Fallout 3 because they require a huge chunk of HDD i dont have available :(

SLIM GET! Let the trophy addiction begin!

YAAAAY! This makes me happy :)

Its out now. Proper dedicated version of it with the crappy zooming needed before

It didn't come up for me earlier, but it works now.

Nevermind.

I really want some other animated themes besides the default sparkles one. I really like being able to easily jump into iPlayer, lame it's not HD. I also like how you don't need to highlight a friend to see what they're playing now. Just wish we could use that cool new squares theme from the PSN store quick menus to access games stored in folders. That would be sweet and a bit like the stacks feature in OS X <3

Bought Infamous today as well :)

Does anyone know if i back up my PS3 to an external HDD if it's a full useable back up? And if I do this back up will I be able to access my SingStore stuff when i swap it in for the old HDD?

It's lame how quickly a 40GB HDD fills up. I can't play GTA IV or Fallout 3 because they require a huge chunk of HDD i dont have available :(

YAAAAY! This makes me happy :)

Yeah you can! I did it, even remembers where u are played up to on your DVDs

For some reason, my PSN won't log in. I have an account from my PSP, but it seems to be unable to connect. I tested the connection earlier and it seemed to all be set up fine. Is there a PSN problem or is it on my end?