NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

"Is It Secret?...Is It Safe?"

Only parts of the movie i liked was the epic fight´s parts the rest was just a long walk to me....

And the books found them pretty meh when i read them. The effect his books had on the fantasy genre is hard to deny but i prefer to read other fantasy based books.

I enjoyed reading the main storyline of the Dragonlance books 10 times more

Amazing films. I'm not afraid to admit I shed a tear in some of the ending scenes in the Return of the King.

Lord of the Rings are my favourite films. :D

I think they are wonderful, i love the book and the films faithfully adapt it into stunning cinema. The length doesn't bother me and not once did i get bored while watching them. I saw each film twice at the cinema because after seeing it i just wanted to go and experience it all again! :grin:

I have yet to see the extended edition on DVD but hopefully this will further my viewing pleasure. The only problems i had with the films is some of the stuff they omitted from the books like Tom Bombadil but that is a minor niggle and doesn't bother me while watching the first film.

Return of the King is my favorite, followed by the Two Towers and then Fellowship of the Ring. The battle sequences are awesome and each character is perfectly cast. :awesome:

I do like my fantasy and this comes at the top! :yay:

Amazing films. I'm not afraid to admit I shed a tear in some of the ending scenes in the Return of the King.

Yawning that much?

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo; the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end... because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was, when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going... because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

Fantastic quote.

The great irony of that quote is the fact that the Lord of The Rings actually achieves none of this...it's just a fairytale, except it's 1500 pages and way too laborious.

That was a movie quote, not from the book. :heh:

Either way, it's still Lord of The Rings. Just substitute 1500 pages for 11 hours, and the soporific effect remains intact.

Besides, that quote might have been in the book too :heh:

Have you read LotR Bard? (Serious question, I'm just wondering.)

Yeah, I don't pass judgement on things I have no experience of, and I stand by everything I said earlier.

Yeah, I don't pass judgement on things I have no experience of, and I stand by everything I said earlier.

Fair nuff.

Best Trilogy I've ever seen.

Actually scratch that 2nd best.

INDIANA JONES PWNED!

Yeah, I don't pass judgement on things I have no experience of

God, I wish more people were like you... :indeed:

God, I wish more people were like you... :indeed:

Do I detect sarcasm? :p. Anyway, I have nothing but time to kill, so I think I might go watch Fellowship tomorrow, see if it's better than I remember.

I loved the films, don't rate the books though. I found them a chore to read, can't stand it when books are like that. Had the same problem with A Song Of Fire and Ice too, given up on it now!

Personally i much prefer Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (shame he died in September :() and Raymond E. Feist's Conclave of Shadows. Much easier reads (although Wheel of Time does begin to drag on a bit by book 8, of 13!)

All we need now is for Peter Jackson and New Line to settle their differences and start working on The Hobbit.

Don't we have a movies thread?

a news thread and a ratings thread. Not a general discussion thread. And some movies deserve their own thread.

Also, the quote in the title is hardly a famous quote.

My wife and I say it to each other all the time, so nuuur! It's at least made an impression on me, her and Flinky. An awesome triangle of secret keeping sayings sayers.

All we need now is for Peter Jackson and New Line to settle their differences and start working on The Hobbit.

I had hoped for lots of similar fantasy films to start appearing and none did. The Hobbit, Magician etc...

Isn't he looking at making Tintin with Steven Spielberg now?

In fact, it's very immemorable compared to other quotes in the films, namely:

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

"My precious!"

and that one about taking a step to start a journey.

Well seeing as though "My precious" has been used time and time again in jokes. That would've been an awful title name.

And "You shall not pass" just sucks*

The titles name is fine, and very recognisable due to the dramatisation behind it.

*"Fly, you fools" is 1000 times cooler

I can't really see the Hobbit as a film; and Peter Jackson should keep well away; especially after making a Kong film that's worse than the original.

In fact, it's very immemorable compared to other quotes in the films, namely:

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

"My precious!"

and that one about taking a step to start a journey.

As Odders has said, all those are all very overused. If anyone says "You shall not pass!" to me again, I'll eat their lambas bread for elevenses.

Try it out, and act devious or suspicious when you say it. It really is hilarious. :)

If you were fixated, how come you were on the forums?! You crazy man Flink.

Yeah, well, if you're a Red Name, how come you're so smelly?

Ok, you win this time!

Awesome movies, even better on a HD-TV and Surround Sound. Books are great, but the movies are better and are true to the books.

Awesome movies, even better on a HD-TV and Surround Sound. Books are great, but the movies are better and are true to the books.

Pah.

Try it on a HD Projector with surround sound.