Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Christians vs New Line Cinema

Slaggis

The Philip Pullman film, the first of a trilogy called His Dark Materials, has been compared to Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series. Well, it's not. The Golden Compass is the exact opposite of the Christian-based classics.

Last I checked doesn't the Lord of the Rings have wizards and magic? Aren't these christian fundamentalists against such things? Afterall didn't they want the Harry Potter books/films banned for getting kids interested in witch-craft... yet now their calling LoR a christian based classic? Surely Gandolfs character could also make people interested in witchcraft if Potter could :heh:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm religious. I love His Dark Materials. Not all Christians are like those quoted above.

Much of the good in this world also comes about because of religion and I think that if there wasn't religion the idiots that spew bile and hate in the name of God would just do the same in the name of something else.

But I believe in free speech too so let them protest all they want.

Oh yeah! :indeed:

Silly me! How on earth did I forget that!

Maybe they thought the two male bears wrestling was sexual. Judging by how messed up in the head these people are, I would be fairly unsurprised if they found, or they thought that gay people would find, it arousing.

You're probably right. Two males bears wresting? Sexual. :heh:

I have to go see this movie now, just to spite these people. It's strange, they want to stop people from seeing it, which seems to work in America, but here, we just laugh and want to go see it more. I love England sometimes.

--

Wow Sanchez, that site is mental. Literally scary.

I'm religious. I love His Dark Materials. Not all Christians are like those quoted above.

Much of the good in this world also comes about because of religion and I think that if there wasn't religion the idiots that spew bile and hate in the name of God would just do the same in the name of something else.

But I believe in free speech too so let them protest all they want.

Thats why I mentioned a "group" of christians, please don't think I'm saying all Christians are like this, because they are not. The Majority are perfectly fine. It's Idiot groups like this in religion that ruin it for everyone else, and that have made me loath religion so much.

I highly recommend their review of Jackass for an entertaining read.

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/jackathemovie.htm

This is no more than an opinion piece. No calcualtions were made of the eight minutes of this trash I saw. There is no data, no listing of findings or any other comparative information other than the opinion piece below.

I believe the Motion Picture Association of America is out to lunch and 100% morally dead, blaming their classification scheme on what the people want as revealed by survey. I now do not believe them. Though I have no statistical data to prove it (I won't analyze NC-17/X) but Jacka: The Movie should have been rated X. Better yet, it should not have been amde at all.

And guess what, it's from MTV.

By the way if you want to see more nutcase christian movie reviews you should check out this site: http://www.capalert.com/capreports/index.htm

Where they rate them by how blasphemous they are.

That site has some of the funniest shit ever, check this out from their Day After Tomorrow review

it lost points for the following

# homosexual song in background (Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me - Boy George)

# adult in underwear, twice

# teen in underwear, once

# making out, male on female

# male starting to unbutton woman's sweater for sex

# inappropriate touching

# (to warn freezing hands/arms)

# gaping face kissing

Lol at point number 1, these guys are having a laugh, "oh noes theres a song by a gay singer kids should not watch this" :heh:

love how they refer to "fuck" also

# the use of the most foul of the foul word

It was not possible to compute an accurate score in Impunity/Hate (I) because of the frequency of foul language.(1) The actual score in Impunity/Hate is far below zero! Unacceptable language occured about every 1.3 minutes in this 142-minute movie.

The starting 100 points in the Offense to God (O) Investigation Area were evaporated due to a pathetically thick density of the use of God's name in vain both with and without the three/four letter word vocabulary.(2)

Shawshank Redemption, the colour of the review page hurts my eyes.

Guess the film (not that hard really)

Example programming included stripping to underwear before a child, portrayal of demons/devils, shoving a pineapple into Hitler's anus while dressed as a ballerina, female breasts forming atop a bald man's head, bodies falling through flames, "I've always wanted to kill somebody - let me!" [Deut. 5:17], expressions of sexual perversion [Jude 7] and homosexual mannerisms [Rom. 1:27], a huge male bird raping a man, replacing a rabbit's ear [mockery of Luke 22:50-51], calling evil good and good evil [is. 5:20], Satan's wife as a angel, false portrayal of Hell [Rom. 16:17-18], wanton revelry [2 Pet. 2:13], vulgar expressions [Eph. 5:4], ....... This movie took three pages of line items to annotate all the ignominies. I am sure there were more than I was able to capture. And there are far oo many to even summarize here. I will let the listing in the Findings/Scoring section tell the complete story as best I could keep up with it. Little Nicky is essentially equivalent to South Park: BLU using Hitler instead of Hussein, live actors instead of cartoon characters, and a war between father and sons instead of mothers and Canada ... and rated PG-13 instead of R. Definitely an R-13.

I really do despair sometimes. These people really think this is the way to promote religeon and attract others to a faith. It's just petty, stupid, a waste of everybody's time and just ridiculous. Also why is it absolutely fine to have outright Christian childrens books and childrens with Christian undertones, but an absolute outrage to have a childrens book with atheistic undertones. It's double standards and completely intolerent. I really hope if God does exist and judgement day does come he tells these people that they are completely mislead and just plain daft.

I really do despair sometimes. These people really think this is the way to promote religeon and attract others to a faith. It's just petty, stupid, a waste of everybody's time and just ridiculous. Also why is it absolutely fine to have outright Christian childrens books and childrens with Christian undertones, but an absolute outrage to have a childrens book with atheistic undertones. It's double standards and completely intolerent. I really hope if God does exist and judgement day does come he tells these people that they are completely mislead and just plain daft.

The problem with that is, it would probably create another religion. Same idiots, different religion.

witchcraft, evolution, divination, homosexuality, and immorality

Hold on a second. If witchcraft is a problem why are they ok with Harry Potter

If evolution is a problem why not ban all those science documentaries

There's divination in Harry potter and that wasn't a problem plus it was part of many religions from the past.

I don't want to even get into the subject of homosexuality

and isn't the church supposed to be telling us that we will have eternal life after death.

Most of these things are featured in almost every fantasy rpg ever made.

I'm christian and I'm not at all offended by this. If people don't want to be involved in a religion fine, who cares.

This is why I am not going to see the film.

HDM are possibly my favourite books ever, and I always wanted for them to make a movie version that is true to the books. But I just know that this is going to be so different to the book. Especially if they make Subtle Knife / Amber Spyglass movies which will be butchered even more.

This is funny and sad at the same time... The people complaining seem terrified of the consequences of anyone having access to something that may cause them to question their beliefs. Isn't the ability to overcome temptation a desirable quality?

Also, can anyone point out where evolution is promoted in HDM? :heh:

Hold on a second. If witchcraft is a problem why are they ok with Harry Potter

and isn't the church supposed to be telling us that we will have eternal life after death.

You're confusing "immorality" with "immortality".

They did try and ban Harry Potter, actually.

Also, can anyone point out where evolution is promoted in HDM? :heh:

It does to some extent in the 3rd book with the Mufela (sp?), but as for the first one, especially in the film, I'm lost as you are.

Bloody Hell I have to read this book.

Also you have to check out that website of Christian movie reviews, best thing i've read in a long time. Check out their damnation of Lord of the Rings, good stuff.

What the fuck. What happened to the american love for free speech?

Never existed

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!