N-Europe

Do you believe in fate?

daftada

A rather funny/odd thing happened today.

A guy looks in his fridge and sees it pretty empty so decides to go to a nearby supermarket to get some supplies. As he gets to his garden gate he remembers, for no particular reason, to pick up an amazon rental disc to post off on the the way and as he gets to door again decides to take a large rucksack with him to help with the load (this is something he has never done before).

10 minutes into his journey he starts thinking about how good it is to be outside on such a nice day when quite out of the blue he gets knocked down from behind by a rogue car wheel that had just fallen off a vans trailer. It just took his legs away from him and sent him flying through the air; his elbow took the force of the blow.

Had he not had the rucksack on, his head may have hit the floor first. If he hadn't gone back for it in the first place he may very well have been missed completely by the wheel and been totally oblivious to the whole event.

Was he just lucky to have had decided to bring the rucksack or had strange cosmic forces coerced his sub-conscious mind to leave seconds later than planned thus pitching him in the direct path of the wheel.

I only ask because, as I sit typing this post with a sling round my elbow and my leg covered in frozen peas, i'm left wondering just what the odds were of being in that particular spot at that time are. Considering the stop/start at the beginning and several decisions along the way (do I cross the road now; shall I take the shortcut down the road or go the scenic route) they must be akin to successfully navigating an asteroid field (3720:1 allegedly).

I'm also wondering what would have happened if i'd gone back for something else, or decided not to go back for anything, would the wheel would have rolled on a little further, hit a divot and hit me head first.

It's times like these I start to wonder about the whole pre-destiny thing; are our lives set before us in stone or can things divert us from them in some strange way.

The worst thing about this is I'd bought Guitar Hero 3 yesterday and hadn't got around to playing it yet. As I left the house I saw the Game bag by my front door and couldn't wait to get back to play it, instead I spent the afternoon in casualty and the police station. It's all put paid to my Guitar fun, and just about any gaming activity (although I did manage a slow play through of phoenix wright in the waiting room).

Maybe God was trying to tell me not to waste time playing games and get out in the real world a bit more...

Was he just lucky to have had decided to bring the rucksack or had strange cosmic forces coerced his sub-conscious mind to leave seconds later than planned thus pitching him in the direct path of the wheel.

Apply Occam's Razor to this, and tell me what you get out of it. :indeed:

All the same, glad to hear you're all right. :smile:

lol similar(ish) thing happened to me after I got the first guitar hero; screwed up my hand and couldn't play it for weeks.

Anyway. Glad to hear you're alright.

And no I don't think I believe in fate. I contemplated it a while back when I kept bumping into someone, thinking it was a sign. But after they introduced me to someone else as Chris I figured it was meerly coincidence.

I contemplated it a while back when I kept bumping into someone, thinking it was a sign. But after they introduced me to someone else as Chris I figured it was meerly coincidence.

LMAO!!

That must of been awkward...what did you do?

I said my name is Ashley but they didn't hear as they were still talking so I just went with it.

Same kind of thing happened to a friend of mine. We told the teacher his name was Yan when he was away one week, it was actually Chris, and ever since he is called Yan.

This should be renamed the "When have people got your name wrong?" thread... :indeed:

My original post was relevant to the topic.

And your reply is as irrelevant as the ones you are criticising for being irrelevant.

All in all, lets move on eh?

Fate. Yes. No?

I created a similar topic a while back actually. As I said earlier, I can never quite decide.

I find it odd how some people can believe in fate but not religion. Both require some supernatural being/force to have 'knowledge' of what is going to happen - like a written or stored record of the events as they shall happen.

What I wonder is how big this backup tape/hard drive with the save file for 'planet earth' must be and where the hell is it being stored?

wahey, was wondering when we'd see a return of this thread, what with having the regular smoking, theological and wanking threads returning recently.

Disregarding the randomness of the universe under a microscope and merely adhering to the whole action/reaction idea, sometimes it's easy to think that your brain makes a specific decision in a moment in time, based upon everything that's led up to that moment, and no matter how many times you rewound time (thus rewinding and losing the memory of the actions you did choose), your brain will make the same choice again. Surely we would only alter anything we do if we had true knowledge of what the reaction would really be.

But I like to think i'm Romantic in thinking that there is some importance in my life. Even if this is just some psychological aid I adhere to in order to carry on living, I like to think that there is such a thing as control and choice.

Last time there was a thread like this, or maybe the time before, I posted a quote from Angel, where Gunn says that we never know when fate is put into our hands or when it's out of our control, but we simply must live each choice as if it is one of those rare moments where your choice affects your destiny.

After all, if you entirely succumb to the idea of fate, you live a very pessimistic and nihilistic life, where you just do nothing all the time, safe in the knowledge that fate already has its plans for you and there's nothing you can do to change this. Fate is often idealised as some sort of vessel for hope; the hero is fated to save the world, so he gets his arse up and goes out and learns how to use a sword - because he knows that he will be able to master it.

Not knowing your fate means when faced with the option of going out and training, or staying in and watching videos on youtube, it's a lot easier to take the short-term path - which ironically in some ways leads you to having to face the notion of fate a lot quicker than if you invested hope in the importance of your life.

I'm quite interested (but not interested enough to research, just enough to speculate and philosophise about) how each and every sensual and mental process you experience shapes and builds upon your mind, and as a consequence the irreversable nature of it all.

The unavoidable decay and deterioration of our physical bodies combined with an increase in knowledge of paranoid stressors is, to me at least, quite a fear-breeding thought. But this fear itself actually comes from the whole question, the possibility that I might actually be fated to live a hellish life.

So to sum it up, as I fear I'm rambling hugely; "life is a test and I got no marks". I get depressed by the idea of fate when my current life is sucking, and scared of the notion of free will and an undetermined future when it's going well. So I believe in the physics of one system and really hope to the spheres that the other one doesn't apply to my brain.

Jayseven, that was the best post I've read on here....probably ever!

I wonder if it is even worth thinking about. If fate is real then nothing we does matters since the future is set and if we truly do have free will then I guess you just have to make life count.

This sums up my feeling really, from T2 - "The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

intellectualloafing.com have a good page on randomness and free will... you guys might find that interesting~ :smile:

daftada > very interesting topic and a nicely written post.. i enjoyed reading it! ~ i'm glad you're ok.

I dont believe in fate, but i enjoy life's little coincidences.