NEurope
Noku

Ghostbusters Wii

Yeah I agree with you FLink, the HD version does seem to lack charm, it's like it's trying to hard and comes across to gritty and hardcore.

The visual style of the Wii version gives it instant character and a sense of humour. Definately more interested in this version now.

From what I've heard, the Wii version is identical in terms of story telling and such, the only major differences are the graphic style, the gameplay and the level design.

Good. I see no reason why dialogue should be dropped from the Wii version. Sound files are probably smaller on Wii, yet it uses the same media as the 360.

Sony to publish Ghostbusters

Platform holder picks up title from Atari in shock move; Release date on track for June 19th; 360 version coming ‘later in year'

Sony has negotiated a shock 11th-hour deal to publish the official Ghostbusters game in June.

184_8373_184_6814_GHOSTBUSTERS.jpg?i=1241600687

The platform holder is the third publisher the game has had in the last 12 months. The title was previously owned by Vivendi before its merger with Activision, and then by Atari.

A Sony spokesperson told MCV this morning: “We will be releasing the title on June 19th, for PS3 and PS2, to co-incide with the release of the Blu Ray movie from Sony Pictures.”

MCV has learnt that the title will still arrive on Xbox 360 and other formats, published by Atari – but this will now come 'later in the year' according to our source.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34186/Sony-to-publish-Ghostbusters

So the Wii version is being delayed? Great. Nice one Atari/Sony.

Great move, Sony. Release PS3 version in Summer, while the competition get theirs during the busier autumn/winter season.

So the Wii version is being delayed? Great. Nice one Atari/Sony.

Bear in mind without Sony no one may even have seen the game. At least the game is now stable for release. If it doesnt do great dont expect it to release on any other system.

It sounds like Sony Pictures asked for the game to get released to coincide with the BluRay and made the SCE arrangement with Phil at Atari. Atari have it delayed for the record.

Bear in mind without Sony no one may even have seen the game. At least the game is now stable for release. If it doesnt do great dont expect it to release on any other system.

It sounds like Sony Pictures asked for the game to get released to coincide with the BluRay and made the SCE arrangement with Phil at Atari. Atari have it delayed for the record.

True, but I was looking forward to playing it next month. I understand why they did it but I'm still annoyed, though it depends on when "later in the year" means.

UPDATE: “Atari is committed to maximizing the launch of the Ghostbusters videogame across Europe,” said Jim Wilson, VP worldwide marketing at Atari.

In partnership with both Sony Pictures Consumer Products, Inc and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, we have a unique opportunity to add new game products and expand marketing opportunities to reach Ghostbusters fans in Europe.

It might just be Europe. It's a good promotion for Blu-Ray, really.

This will mean more development time on the Wii version.

Good promotion of Blu-ray would be a regular release of titles, actually. I've seen little of interest- i'd happily buy blu-ray (desperately want to, actually), but there's nothing but commercial clap trap on the format. Sony have an outstanding library of films- but i'm not seeing them on the shelves.

Back on subject, i'm not sure this is anything but a publicity move for Sony- Ghostbusters isn't really a brand that'll sell PS3 units. However, its strange that Sony haven't previous raided their extensive film library for exclusive games for their console.

Back on subject, i'm not sure this is anything but a publicity move for Sony- Ghostbusters isn't really a brand that'll sell PS3 units. However, its strange that Sony haven't previous raided their extensive film library for exclusive games for their console.

Yeah, it's bizarre but between this and Arkham Asylum getting exclusive content it looks like it could be changing.

I posted this in the other Ghostbusters thread, here's my take on it;

Atari are in the shit and so any kind of deal they'd jump at. Makes sense for them.

Makes loads of sense for Sony because the PS3 version will pick up the majority of the next gen sales and the PS2 version, which is visually the same as the Wii version will probably syphon off sales from that version.

When the game does get released on the other platforms, it'll also come out on the PSP.

It's pretty much a one-two-three combo. (Or in Soul Calibur terms; Triangle, Triangle, Triangle.)

In the end Sony get money from every version, on every platform, because Columbia Pictures own the rights to Ghostbusters and Sony own Columbia Pictures. When this finally hits multiplatform, Sony will be laughing. Assuming the sales are good, which they probably will be because it is Ghostbusters.

I've just been looking at a press release, which almost implies it's not coming out on Wii/360/DS at all.

LONDON, UK – 6th May 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) , Sony Pictures Consumer Products, and Atari Europe today announced that Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®2 is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in June, meaning that owners of PS3 and PlayStation 2 will get their hands on the game that reunites the cast of the hit movies. To mark the 25th anniversary of the well-loved franchise, the game will launch in coordination with the Blu-ray™ release of the original hit movie and licensing programs from Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. Ghostbusters: The Video Game will launch in Europe and PAL regions on June 19th 2009 exclusively for PS3 and PlayStation 2.

“We’re committed to bringing the PlayStation family the biggest and best gaming experiences first,” says Mark Hardy, European Product Marketing Director at SCEE, “and it doesn’t get any bigger and better than this blockbuster title. This summer, PlayStation owners will be the first to grab their proton packs and fight the spirit world. We’d like to wish them the best of luck in their ghostbusting endeavours and, of course, to remind them not to cross the streams!”

“With our colleagues at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe publishing Ghostbusters: The Video Game, we are thrilled by the dynamic new Ghostbusters game. We think it will have tremendous appeal to gamers and we can’t think of a better way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of this beloved franchise.” said Mark Caplan, Vice President of Licensing-Interactive for Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. “With this superb game launching alongside the Blu-ray release, we will reach existing fans and the next generation, bringing them all into the irresistible Ghostbusters universe.”

“Atari is committed to maximizing the launch of the Ghostbusters videogame across Europe,” Said Jim Wilson, VP Worldwide Marketing, Atari. “In partnership with both Sony Pictures Consumer Products, Inc and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, we have a unique opportunity to add new game products and expand marketing opportunities to reach Ghostbusters fans in Europe.”

In Ghostbusters: The Video Game, players can grab a proton pack and turn their ghostbusting fantasies into reality as the new recruit to the Ghostbusters team in a story set two years after the Ghostbusters 2 movie. Once again, the city of Manhattan has been overrun with ghouls, ghosts and all things foul – and it’s down to the Ghostbusters team to capture them all and regain control.

The game has been written by original Ghostbusters writers Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd and reunites members of the original cast for the first time in 20 years. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson lend their voices and in-game likenesses to the game, which also features performances from favourites including William Atherton (Walter Peck), Annie Potts (Janine) and Brian Doyle-Murray (Mayor Jock Mulligan).

Developed by Terminal Reality and Red Fly Studios Ghostbusters: The Video Game will arrive on PS3 and PS2 this June. PSP version of the game is scheduled for launch in autumn 2009. To find out more, visit eu.playstation.com.

For more information please contact your local PR manager.

About the Game

When Manhattan is once again overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, players will take on the role of a new recruit joining the famous Ghostbusters team. Developed by acclaimed studio Terminal Reality, Ghostbusters: The Video Game will make its debut on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. The PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system version and the Wii version are being developed by Red Fly Studios, and the Nintendo DS™ version, in which the player takes the role of one of the Ghostbusters themselves, is developed by Zen Studios. The PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC versions of the game are developed using Terminal Reality’s phenomenal proprietary Infernal Engine technology.

Only the bottom bit suggests it's not as "exclusive" as previously mentioned.

Sony are hardly likely to promote the other platforms in their own press release. Oh, wait...

From the info currently available, it seems this only applies to Europe, Atari US will still publish all versions of the game (if they are also delaying the other versions there, it's not known).

If that's the case, I'll pick up the US PC and DS versions, and then wait for the Wii version when it gets released in Europe (and Atari already confirmed it's still coming out, just at a later date).

It's a shame this has happened, I was really looking forward to the game. As much as I want to play the game, there's no way I'm picking up either the PS3 or PS2 versions: the PS3 version is identical (gameplay-wise) to the Xbox 360 and PC versions, but I prefer to play it on the the PC (better graphics, mouse + keyboard vs controller), and the PS2 version is identical to the Wii version, but with inferior graphics and without motion controlling, so there's no way I'm picking that up either.

From the info currently available, it seems this only applies to Europe, Atari US will still publish all versions of the game (if they are also delaying the other versions there, it's not known).

If that's the case, I'll pick up the US PC and DS versions, and then wait for the Wii version when it gets released in Europe (and Atari already confirmed it's still coming out, just at a later date).

It's a shame this has happened, I was really looking forward to the game. As much as I want to play the game, there's no way I'm picking up either the PS3 or PS2 versions: the PS3 version is identical (gameplay-wise) to the Xbox 360 and PC versions, but I prefer to play it on the the PC (better graphics, mouse + keyboard vs controller), and the PS2 version is identical to the Wii version, but with inferior graphics and without motion controlling, so there's no way I'm picking that up either.

Sucks but you can import.

Sucks but you can import.

I can't import the Wii version, that's why I said it's a shame. :sad:

GAME has updated my order with a release of "October" for the Wii version. The DS version is still listed for June so far.

Terminal Reality Frustrated By Ghostbusters "Merry-Go-Round"

Ghostbusters: The Video Game developer Terminal Reality has expressed frustration at publishing deals that have seen the game passed around to three different companies in the past year.

The developer admitted that it has had no say in publishing or distribution decisions, as the game has been pushed from Activision to Atari, and now Sony in Europe.

"It is not the ideal situation for a developer like Terminal Reality as we really enjoy a collaborative relationship when we work with publishers, so that has had to be rebooted every time the game changes hands," offered Brendon Goss, executive producer at Terminal Reality, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"As an independent developer that has been in business for 15 years, Terminal Reality has learned the importance of making good partnership decisions when we take a look at what projects we will do. If you would have told me the roller coaster ride we were in for on this project three years ago I would have said that you are crazy and yet here we are," he added.

Although North American consumers can choose from multiple formats on release in June, European fans will only be offered a PlayStation 3 or PS2 SKU, leaving the release of the game on Xbox 360, Wii, DS and PC up in the air.

The game is finished, said Goss, and the Terminal Reality team hopes that the last-minute exclusivity deal with Sony won't spoil consumers reaction to the game when the multiformat titles are released further down the line.

"All I can say from the Terminal Reality perspective is that the game is done on all platforms. We are really pleased with the final result and happy that it is ready for the fans on every platform whenever the decision is made to release it."

He added: "We do not want the consumer to be confused as that can hurt sales. Our hope is that this is a transparent change to the gamer and that the desire to play the next authentic chapter of Ghostbusters is a draw that overcomes any complications."

He also said that the complicated publishing partnerships were a sign of the strain the current economic environment is placing on companies.

"I think it speaks to the impact of the current economic climate that publishers need to be fluid and able to help each other out with business arrangements that allow product to get into the hands of the fans."

As Terminal Reality hasn't been consulted on publishing deals, the team has focused all its efforts on refining the quality of the finished product, said Goss.

"As a developer these distribution decisions are handled far above our level and is not been something that we would have a say in.

"We have just focused on keeping the teams attention on making the best game we possibly can. We are confident that everything is being done to make sure the game gets the support it needs and will be available to Ghostbusters fans around the world."

Am I the only one not bothered about this? Gives them more time to polish it. And also, there's so many games coming out in the summer anyway...

Am I the only one not bothered about this? Gives them more time to polish it. And also, there's so many games coming out in the summer anyway...

They've had plenty of time to polish it off.

I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, I love games, and a Ghostbusters game such as the one on the Wii and the ones on the PS3/360 should be exciting me...but they're not. The Wii one is exciting me more, but even then it's a half-hearted kind of excitement.

I think I'd rather just stick the doovde on and watch it on there.