It's snowing

James_banned

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from wiki;

Four Seasons

The date at which each of the four temperate season begins varies from culture to culture. In general there are three reckonings, "Astronomical", "Meteorological", and "Traditional".[4]

Meteorological seasons are reckoned by temperature, with summer being the hottest quarter of the year, and winter the coldest quarter of the year.

Using this reckoning, the Ancient Roman calendar began the year and the spring season on the first of March, with each season occupying three months. This reckoning is also used in Denmark, the former USSR, and Australia. In modern United Kingdom and Ireland there are no hard and fast rules about seasons, and informally many people use this reckoning.

So, in meteorology for the Northern hemisphere:

* spring begins on March 1,

* summer on June 1,

* autumn on September 1, and

* winter on December 1.

Conversely, for the Southern hemisphere:

* summer begins on December 1,

* autumn on March 1,

* winter on June 1, and

* spring on September 1.

In astronomical reckoning, the seasons begin at the solstices and equinoxes. The cross-quarter days are considered seasonal midpoints. The length of these seasons is not uniform because of the elliptical orbit of the earth and its different speeds along that orbit (see Kepler's laws).

In the conventional United States calendar:

* Winter (89 days) begins on 21-22 Dec, the winter solstice

* Spring (92 days) on 20-21 Mar, the vernal equinox

* Summer (93 days) on 20-21 June, the summer solstice

* Autumn (90 days) on 22-23 Sept, the autumnal equinox

Because of the differences in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres (see Meteorological below), it is no longer considered appropriate to use the old northern-seasonal designations for the astronomical quarter days. The modern convention for them is:

* The March Equinox

* The June Solstice

* The September Equinox

* The December Solstice

Traditional seasons are reckoned by insolation, with summer being the quarter of the year with the greatest insolation, and winter the quarter with the least. These seasons begin about 4 weeks earlier than the Meteorological seasons, and 7 weeks earlier than the Astronomical seasons.

In Traditional reckoning, the seasons begin at the cross-quarter days. The solstices and equinoxes are the midpoints of these seasons. For example, the days of greatest and least insolation are considered the "midsummer" and "midwinter" respectively.

This reckoning is used by various traditional cultures in the Northern Hemisphere, including East Asian and Irish cultures.

So, according to Traditional reckoning,

* Winter begins on 5-10 Nov, Samhain, 立冬 (lìdōng),

* Spring on 2-7 Feb, Imbolc, 立春 (lìchūn),

* Summer on 4-10 May, Beltane, 立夏 (lìxià), and

* Autumn on 3-10 Aug, Lughnasadh, 立秋 (lìqiū).

And, the middle of each season is considered,

* Mid-winter: 20-23 Dec, winter solstice, 冬至 (dōngzhì)

* Mid-spring: 19-22 Mar, vernal equinox, 春分 (chūnfēn)

* Mid-summer: 19-23 June, summer solstice, 夏至 (xiàzhì)

* Mid-autumn: 21-24 Sept, autumnal equinox, 秋分 (qiūfēn)

But how can people say August is Autumn when the start of August is usually the hottest time of the year, also it's called the Summer holidays, not Autumn holidays!

I've always followed the Astronomical way of thinking with the solstices and equinoxes, although I can understand the meteorlogical way of thinking as well.

I always follwed this way of thinking:

Spring

February

March

April

Summer

May

June

July

Autumn

August

September

October

Winter

November

December

January

Now it's fair to say that temperature wise the seasons have shifted but I still think of the seasons like that, even if in reality we might only have 2 seasons - Summer and Winter.

Well it's only decently-ish snowed 1 day a year here for the past few years; always in Feb too; so it's hardly surprising. :)

Your very close to me*, i don't know how you feel about that! :D

*Where we live, obviously! :indeed::)

The actual month/season system is

Winter: January, February, March

Spring: April, May, June

Summer: July, August, September

Autumn: October, November, December

Anyway, I got lots of snow after I last posted, however it didn't stay.

pft! December is definitely winder. The way I always work it out is those March bunnies... the daffodils... It's spring! March is spring. Always.

I remember september. It wasn't hot like august. It was cold. Leaves were falling! Autumn.

Here it's always been the astronomical dates; at least that's what they taught me in elementary school (though the dates were always the 21st of that month).

Anyway, no snow here yet (or it must've been at night, but I doubt it). I sincerely hope it doesn't snow till my winter break. Hate going out to school when it's been snowing.

Here it's always been the astronomical dates; at least that's what they taught me in elementary school (though the dates were always the 21st of that month).

Anyway, no snow here yet (or it must've been at night, but I doubt it). I sincerely hope it doesn't snow till my winter break. Hate going out to school when it's been snowing.

I'm sure I must've been taught that as well because that's what I've always believed it to be. Although I have a vague memory of a Blue Peter episode from at least 10 years ago where they mentioned it was the first day of Spring on the 21st March. I could just be making that up though!

from wiki;

Four Seasons

The date at which each of the four temperate season begins varies from culture to culture. In general there are three reckonings, "Astronomical", "Meteorological", and "Traditional".[4]

Meteorological seasons are reckoned by temperature, with summer being the hottest quarter of the year, and winter the coldest quarter of the year.

Using this reckoning, the Ancient Roman calendar began the year and the spring season on the first of March, with each season occupying three months. This reckoning is also used in Denmark, the former USSR, and Australia. In modern United Kingdom and Ireland there are no hard and fast rules about seasons, and informally many people use this reckoning.

So, in meteorology for the Northern hemisphere:

* spring begins on March 1,

* summer on June 1,

* autumn on September 1, and

* winter on December 1.

Conversely, for the Southern hemisphere:

* summer begins on December 1,

* autumn on March 1,

* winter on June 1, and

* spring on September 1.

In astronomical reckoning, the seasons begin at the solstices and equinoxes. The cross-quarter days are considered seasonal midpoints. The length of these seasons is not uniform because of the elliptical orbit of the earth and its different speeds along that orbit (see Kepler's laws).

In the conventional United States calendar:

* Winter (89 days) begins on 21-22 Dec, the winter solstice

* Spring (92 days) on 20-21 Mar, the vernal equinox

* Summer (93 days) on 20-21 June, the summer solstice

* Autumn (90 days) on 22-23 Sept, the autumnal equinox

Because of the differences in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres (see Meteorological below), it is no longer considered appropriate to use the old northern-seasonal designations for the astronomical quarter days. The modern convention for them is:

* The March Equinox

* The June Solstice

* The September Equinox

* The December Solstice

Traditional seasons are reckoned by insolation, with summer being the quarter of the year with the greatest insolation, and winter the quarter with the least. These seasons begin about 4 weeks earlier than the Meteorological seasons, and 7 weeks earlier than the Astronomical seasons.

In Traditional reckoning, the seasons begin at the cross-quarter days. The solstices and equinoxes are the midpoints of these seasons. For example, the days of greatest and least insolation are considered the "midsummer" and "midwinter" respectively.

This reckoning is used by various traditional cultures in the Northern Hemisphere, including East Asian and Irish cultures.

So, according to Traditional reckoning,

* Winter begins on 5-10 Nov, Samhain, 立冬 (lìdōng),

* Spring on 2-7 Feb, Imbolc, 立春 (lìchūn),

* Summer on 4-10 May, Beltane, 立夏 (lìxià), and

* Autumn on 3-10 Aug, Lughnasadh, 立秋 (lìqiū).

And, the middle of each season is considered,

* Mid-winter: 20-23 Dec, winter solstice, 冬至 (dōngzhì)

* Mid-spring: 19-22 Mar, vernal equinox, 春分 (chūnfēn)

* Mid-summer: 19-23 June, summer solstice, 夏至 (xiàzhì)

* Mid-autumn: 21-24 Sept, autumnal equinox, 秋分 (qiūfēn)

Why are seasons infomation label as spoilers? :p

It's quite clearly:

Winter = December, January, February

Spring = March, April, May

Summer = June, July, August (how anyone can think August is autumn I do not know)

Autumn = September, October, November

December is the month where it really starts to get cold (ie sub 5 degrees C in England) and the coldness continues till about February (when you can still get snow). March is where it all starts to warm up, not by much though. It then showers through April and a bit of May until it gets nice and hot at the end of May/June. It doesn't stop being hot until mid September, and that's when the leaves start falling so that would make it Autumn.

pft! December is definitely winder. The way I always work it out is those March bunnies... the daffodils... It's spring! March is spring. Always.

I remember september. It wasn't hot like august. It was cold. Leaves were falling! Autumn.

Winter doesn't start until the end of december.

Winter doesn't start until the end of december.

Erm I always thought winter began on 11th of novemeber, at least thats what we got told in my school.

*checks wiki* - - Aha, it says in european countries the 11th of november is considered the start of winter (the 1st in Ireland)

Guest Stefkov

I guess I always thought winter being when all the leaves had fallen off trees.

Spring is when they start to grow, summer when they're all there in their glory and autumn when they start to fall off.

• 3 weeks later...