Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

We have a trailers thread and a rate the film thread, but not a thread for general movie industry news.

Instead of creating a new thread for each and every film or possible film [that may or may not get made], once some news comes out about it, I thought maybe we could have a general thread?!

It also saves bringing back old threads that don't really relate, such as the Spiderman 3 thread for news on a possible fourth film,

or creating a Spiderman 4 thread, when there really isn't much news to go on, and seeing it disappear.

People can discuss there thoughts on possible sequels/prequels, what direction they'd like a future installment to take, potential actors/acresses for a role, directors, producers etc...

Anyways, some topics to get the thread going...

Todays news...

Spiderman 4

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/828/828082p1.html

Spidey Gets Fresh

Studio plans a new approach for Spider-Man 4.

US, October 17, 2007 - Sam Raimi, director of the first three Spider-Man films, has revealed that behind-the-scenes meetings about the next movie in the blockbuster comic-based series are going on right now. Raimi, while talking to members of the press about his newly produced vampire horror flick 30 Days of Night, says that fans can expect a fresh take on Spidey in the next film.

Raimi, who may or may not direct Spider-Man 4 (he is not yet under contract), says he isn't aware of any plans for a total franchise reboot, but that Sony Pictures has been meeting with different writers "to try and bring a fresh new story and approach" to the series.

"I've been in meetings with Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, our producers, and [studio boss] Amy Pascal," Raimi reveals. "Different writers have been coming in and spinning different tales of where Spider-Man could go from here."

With a new approach to the Web-slinger being mulled, would Raimi still consider directing?

"It would depend on a lot of things," he says. "But it would be great because I love Spider-Man! If we can find the right story... Whatever it is I'm sure it'll be a great story, because a lot of people are working really hard right now to make it really great story."

The Hobbit

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/827/827990p1.html

Raimi Talks Hobbit

Would the Spidey helmer direct Tolkien's tale?

US, October 17, 2007 - With the icy relationship between Lord of the Rings filmmaker Peter Jackson and New Line seemingly starting to thaw, reports of other directors being linked to The Hobbit seem to have subsided. However, there's still the possibility that Jackson and New Line will not kiss and make up, and even if they do it could be that Jackson will choose to simply produce the film. If either of those scenarios play out, who might take the reins?

The other director most talked about for The Hobbit has been Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi. Raimi, who produced the new vampire horror flick 30 Days of Night through his Ghost House Pictures production company, says he'd still love to be considered for the project if Jackson is not in the director's chair.

"I think there's no better choice to direct The Hobbit than Peter Jackson," Raimi told members of the media at the 30 Days of Night press day. "I'm a giant fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Peter Jackson is a brilliant filmmaker. He would be the guy that I think everybody would like to see direct it. Hopefully, he will direct it and give us his great version of it. If he doesn't direct it and decides just to produce it, I'd love to be considered as the director."

Jackson has been involved in a tense legal battle with New Line over profits from The Fellowship of the Ring, as well as public war of words with New Line honcho Bob Shaye. However, the legal issues may soon be resolved, and both Shay and Jackson have recently made conciliatory overtures.

The Bourne... [how it all began'um]?

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/828/828580p1.html

Bourne Backpedaling

Damon now open to fourth installment.

US, October 19, 2007 - While promoting the release of The Bourne Ultimatum in Tokyo, series star Matt Damon reversed his earlier position that this entry would be his last time playing the amnesiac assassin and left open the possibility of reprising his role for a fourth installment.

According to Yahoo! News, via AFP, Damon said, "Personally, the character means a lot to me because the character has done so much for my career. You know, it put me in the position where I have a lot more choices of kind of movies I want to make."

Damon's return appears contingent on the involvement of his Bourne Ultimatum and Bourne Supremacy director. "If Paul Greengrass, maybe years down the road, was interested in doing another one, then I would do it, too," the Oscar winner said. "I don't think either of us completely put the character to bed yet."

The Bourne Ultimatum proved a critical and commercial success stateside.

My thought...

- Spiderman 3 was a real let down for me, I was talking about this with Eddage the other day...

After seeing it, I kind of convinced myself that the film was a lot bettre than it actually was! I think it was because I loved the first two films so much I didn't really want to accept that they'd made a bad one! especially given the potential it had and the characters in it.

But after the rest of the summer Blockbusters... Transformers, Pirates 3, The Bourne Ultimatum etc... I came to the realsiation that it truely was a real let down, IMO!

This in mind, and with a massive question mark as to whether Maguire and Dunst will return for a fourth film [and therefore the strong possibility new actors will be taking over the rolls], I think a reinvention sounds like a good idea! How they'd do this though I don't know! a darker, more grown up, mature Spiderman?

Actors? Actresses?

- The Hobbit, just make this film!

Ian McKellen has already expressed his desire to reprise his role as Gandalf and I really want to see this great story come to the silver screen!

- The Bourne Ultimatum. Whilst they're yet to make a bad installment [with all three being fantastic], I don't think I'd want them to make any more. Ultimatum finished the story off perfectly and I'd just worry that with storyline fully resolved, they might struggle to fit Bourne into a brand new story for just one film, with no amnesia issues etc...

The only thing I can see working would be a prequel that covers Bournes recruitment, training, early missions and ultimately ends with him being ditched in the sea [start of the first film]! But then, is there really any need?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Jackson needs to direct the hobbit, it just has to be done. If they do make it it shouuld be with him, no no one else.

wasn't he asking for too much or something.. The hobbit isn't that brilliant as a book so as a film it will be worse than the lord of the rings in my opinion.

hmhmhmh this really cuts down on thread i'm not sure I like this idea. Anyway spiderman 3 was balls but I still have faith in it.
It's just a thought for very general news?!

Once a film is confirmed and there is constant news about it then it could have it's own thread!

Kinda like how the Gereral 360/PS3 boards work?!

wasn't he asking for too much or something.. The hobbit isn't that brilliant as a book so as a film it will be worse than the lord of the rings in my opinion.
I think a tough decision would be whether the film is split across one or two films [ which was once rumoured].

One film = maybe crammed, some story elements brushed passed, but very action packed.

Two films = story may not strech across two films and the films may drag on at times, but the story would be fully realised!

This in mind, and with a massive question mark as to whether Maguire and Dunst will return for a fourth film [and therefore the strong possibility new actors will be taking over the rolls], I think a reinvention sounds like a good idea! How they'd do this though I don't know! a darker, more grown up, mature Spiderman?

Actors? Actresses?

I think a more mature and darker version would have worked for Spider-Man 3 but for a reinvention I dont think that would be the right way to go. Spider-Man isnt the same type of character as Batman, he doesnt need to go darker.

I think they would need less relationship problems and boring Aunt May stories. The comics manage to make you like the Aunt May and MJ scenes but the movies really havent managed to do that for me.

Spider-Man would need to be a hell of a lot more witty aswell. Also they needed to give you more reasons to like Peter. I was thinking about this while watching Spider-Man 3 and it occured to me that you dont believe this version of Peter would go through hell to get Aunt May her pills or anything else. Yes he'll go try save them when they get into danger once again but theres no urgency. I mean in Spidey 3 he took the time to open the case slowly then just stare at his suit.

Just to get people up to speed with current events within the industry.

2008 Hollywood strike

The Hollywood strike of 2008 is an anticipated strike by three labor unions representing employees of the American entertainment industry. The unions involved include the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), the Writers Guild of America (WGA), and the Directors Guild of America (DGA). The anticipated strike would be against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), a trade organization that represents the interests of American film and television producers.

Reasons for the strike

The strike would stem from the current handling of royalties from the sale of films distributed through new media methods. This includes royalties earned from Internet distribution services such as iTunes, as well as DVD sales. These are currently handled by a decades-old contract clause which the unions feel is in need of a revamp.[1]

Strike logistics

The current contract between the WGA and the AMPTP will expire on October 31st, 2007,[2] and the two parties are currently in talks on the terms of a possible renewal. If a deal can't be reached by the time the contract expires, the WGA has decided to encourage its members to continue working, without a collective agreement, until June of 2008, which is when the SAG and DGA contracts with the AMPTP also expire. Waiting until all three unions are not bound by contracts would enable the three unions to support each other in a collective negotiation with the threat of a collective strike that would effectively cripple the Hollywood film industry. If necessary, such a strike would begin in July of 2008, just after the SAG and DGA contracts with the AMPTP expire.

Effect on the film industry

Because the unions involved represent the near sum-total of working actors, directors, and writers (for film) in America, film industry leaders agree that if the strike does occur, film production (including scripted television programming) would be at a veritable standstill during the strike period. Production companies are therefore bracing for the strike by accelerating production of films and television episodes in the time prior to the strike, in an effort to stockpile enough material to continue regular film releases and TV schedules during the strike period.

A list of 300 high-priority film projects is reportedly circulating around talent agencies in accordance with this effort

From Wikipedia.

This is having a huge effect that's putting many films on the fast track to production (possibly jepordising their quality).

Resident Evil 4

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/828/828442p1.html

Resident Evil 4 Update

Producer addresses the franchise's future.

US, October 18, 2007 - IGN caught up today with producer Jeremy Bolt, and the filmmaker graciously took a moment to discuss the future of the Resident Evil film franchise.

When pressed about whether they had plans to make Resident Evil IV with Claire Redfield as the series' new lead character, Bolt replied, "It's not our intention. But we've been very pleased that the third part of the franchise has done so well. Ali Larter is a terrific Claire Redfield."

IGN reminded Bolt that he seemed bullish on RE4 when we asked him about it last year on the set of Resident Evil: Extinction. So why have he and Anderson seemingly cooled their heels on continuing the franchise?

"We haven't changed our minds. We just want to be respectful and I think the thing is we're in the middle of Death Race," Bolt explained. "We haven't really focused on it. We would certainly like to look at it, but I wouldn't want to say we were or weren't doing anything at this point. Too early."

Quite enjoyed the first, second was pretty rubbish and haven't seen the third yet...

Obviously it's not the best of movie franchises, but if they are going to continue making them, a fourth film with Ali Larter as Claire taking the lead would be a good move and I think it would be time for Claire to meet up with Leon!

Ali Larter is a terrific Claire Redfield.

BULLSHIT she is. There wasn't a single part of Claire Redfield in Larter's performance. End this franchise already!

In other news it looks like the new Rambo film's title has gone through a few more changes. It went from John Rambo to Rambo: Hell and Back, and now it looks like it's just going to be called Rambo. :blank:

23103.jpg

Also I came upon a trailer for the new Scary/Date/Epic Movie 'franchise' entry.. get this.. Meet the Spartans... :indeed:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21296

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=1666

While many of producer David Kirschner's recent movies with his partner Corey Siniega, such as the biopic Miss Potter and the upcoming Martian Child, might not necessarily be "Shock-worthy", Kirschner's second film, Child's Play roughly twenty years ago kicked off a popular horror franchise that has inspired many imitations and four sequels.

ShockTillYouDrop.com had a chance to interview Kirschner for his upcoming movie where he surprised us by announcing that they were working on another "Chucky" movie, which would be a remake of the original Child's Play. (But surely, we all knew this was coming, right?)

"We're discussing it with Don Mancini, who has written all of them with us from the beginning," Kirschner told us. "The next one we're going to do is we're going back and remaking the first one and even pushing it further and making a very terrifying version of the first one, which is pretty scary as it is."

"We haven't come up with anybody yet," he replied when asked whether they were looking at any of today's cutting-edge horror directors. "We haven't really discussed that. We've just been working on stories, so I think that'll be a fun process when we get there."

Of course, the age-old question of "Why?" immediately came up. "Look at 'Halloween'," he quickly responded. "It's kind of commerce to keep the franchise going, and another reason to go see it. For me, it's exciting, because the first one was really scary and then from there, we kind of… my favorites are 1 and 4. I love 4, it really makes me laugh and I think Jennifer Tilly is so great, but just the idea of going back to where we were the first time around and I think for me, it's almost 30 years later for me as a filmmaker from where I started to now, and the idea of taking some skill that maybe I didn't possess then and putting it towards the next film, I think could be exciting."

Would they possibly use the same script? "I think it would be pretty close to it, that's for sure, but there's some other things that we're exploring also, and some twists that we don't want the audience to expect, as far as a couple deaths, where you think you're going in one way and you're going to go in another way as a result of knowing it and it being such a popular franchise." These new developments may include learning more about Charles Lee Ray, although they're discussing whether series regular Brad Dourif will be back in that role and once again voicing Chucky.

But don't just assume that because we're well into the 21st Century that Chucky will be any sort of CG motion-captured creation. "It'll be an animatronic doll, like we do all of them, but animatronics have grown from when we did the first one 20 years ago. We just did the commentary on the 20th Anniversary of it, and all the stars, the little kid Andy Barkley, all of that, so that's coming out in January/February."

Stay tuned to ShockTillYouDrop.com for more news as things develop.

Good? Bad? Not sure yet, with he way the newest ones are i'm not putting my hopes up, but you never know.

Why don't they just call it Rambo 4, or even better First Blood 4? Calling it Rambo makes it sound like the second film, Rambo: First Blood Part 2 or the first in the series (seeing as they changed the series name from First Blood to Rambo). God, they really fucked up the naming of these films.

HAAA! I couldn't help but laugh at the britney thing, "Look, now we match!"

I'm so immature :(

I laughed because I new he was going to kick her into the hole - I wish he'd have shouted something while doing it though. Other than that the trailer sucked.

The bit where he kicked her was hilarious IMO....the rest of the trailer.....not so much. But still has potential IMO.

I was one of the couple of people in the world who liked Epic Movie. Lozzles.

Epic movie was only good for the first time I heard "Jack Swallows", the rest was kind of crappy.

Why was the fake britney breathing all over the baby (with that sort of "I'm about to eat you face"?)

Why don't they just call it Rambo 4, or even better First Blood 4? Calling it Rambo makes it sound like the second film, Rambo: First Blood Part 2 or the first in the series (seeing as they changed the series name from First Blood to Rambo). God, they really fucked up the naming of these films.

Well it's been 19 years since the last one so calling it just 'Rambo' is better i reckon.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!