N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really hope Watchmen is good. I still have nightmares about the slow mo fights in V for Vendetta.

it's being made by the 300 crew though, and if nothing else that was a seriously faithful bit of adaptation. I hope they have the same approach to Watchmen.

in less cool news: the current writers did Transformers- hardly the guys I'd trust with a conspiracy theory about psychologically disturbed vigilante's and trans human atomic demi gods...

still...

watchmen-20070801032052869.jpg

yaaaay!

I really, really hope Watchmen is good. I still have nightmares about the slow mo fights in V for Vendetta.

it's being made by the 300 crew though, and if nothing else that was a seriously faithful bit of adaptation. I hope they have the same approach to Watchmen.

in less cool news: the current writers did Transformers- hardly the guys I'd trust with a conspiracy theory about psychologically disturbed vigilante's and trans human atomic demi gods...

still...

watchmen-20070801032052869.jpg

yaaaay!

you know how...

in the graphic novel you see Rorshcarcharhchch without his mask in a few frames, buying papers and stuff... Will that be more obvious this time with the actor's name up in lights at the start?

Prince of Persia Director and 007 news...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/833/833676p1.html

From Potter to Persia?

Bruckheimer offers game adaptation to Newell.

UK, November 8, 2007 - Jerry Bruckheimer has offered Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire helmer Mike Newell the chance to direct a live-action adaptation of the Prince of Persia videogame.

Newell, whose previous credits include gangster drama Donnie Brasco and British comedy Four Weddings and a Funeral, has already met with Disney execs and is set to begin negotiations, according to a report in Variety.

For those not in the know, Prince of Persia is the hugely successful videogame franchise that revolves around a Persian street urchin who falls in love with a beautiful princess, only to see her captured by the evil Vizier Jaffar. Naturally, he sets off on a perilous journey to rescue her.

The Prince does his stuff in the brillaint Sands of Time game.

The original Prince of Persia game was released 15 years ago and Ubisoft's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the 3-D sequel, was a multi-platform smash hit.

The script, which was penned by Jeffrey Nachmanoff (The Day After Tomorrow) and game creator Jordan Mechner, combines the story from this latest instalment with new and original elements.

Earlier this year Mechner told Variety that he sees the Bruckheimer-produced Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl as a template for the adaptation. "Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame, we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story -- much as Pirates did with the theme park ride," he said.

As we reported back in April,Transformers director and Bruckheimer favourite Michael Bay was previously linked the project.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/833/833434p1.html

Has 007 Found His Next Conquest?

Bond 22's Brazilian babe buzz builds.

US, November 7, 2007 - Brazilian soap star Cleo Pires is reportedly the frontrunner to win the highly coveted "Bond Girl" role in the next James Bond movie. Pires, 25, won the best actress award in the Festival do Rio 2003 for her role in Benjamim.

cleo-pires1_1194466848.jpg

MI6.co.uk, citing Brazilian reports, claims "Pires was amongst the final group of actresses competing for the part. If reports hold true, the other finalists from Brazil are Guilhermina Guinle, Rita Guedes and the much-tipped Juliana Paes. It is understood that another round of tests is to take place in the coming days. Israeli model and actress Moran Atias is reportedly the only non-South American actress left in the running."

Prince of Persia

Written by the guy who wrote the script for the day after tomorrow, directed by the guy who did Harry Potter and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

This could very well be the worst movie ever made.

The Day after Tomorrow ans PotC were great films..

it was still an embodiment of the very concept of hate.

you really dislike good films don't you?

i'll forward to this watchan anyway

The Day after Tomorrow ans PotC were great films..

oh hell no. too much whining in that film. was almost as bad and war of the worlds ok sorry that was taking things too far.

oh hell no. too much whining in that film. was almost as bad and war of the worlds ok sorry that was taking things too far.

I enjoyed the day after tomorrow, enjoyed POTC and enjoyed War of the Worlds too. Or am I the only one?

Actually, it's more that I hate crappy, brain sapping adaptations of artistic masterpieces that undermine the ideas, emotions, characters and basic fucking principles of the original while crediting their audience with the collective intelligence of an autistic gerbil.

but, you know, feel free to carry on this ridiculous defence without having any idea what you're on about. Don't let me stop you kiddo.

The Day After Tomorrow was an awful awful film mainly because of the script. Full of rediculous cliches and stupid plot turns, they took what could have been a fairly cool disaster movie (though I grant you disaster movies are normally shit) and turned it into a two hour cringe fest.

The Goblet of fire was like all Harry Potter movies an insult to the books, and the reason was mostly the directing (though as in all of the movies the acting had a big part as well. It lacked fluidity and excitement, often tripping over itself. Though the French chick was hot.

And Bruckheimer. God I hate this guy. He wouldn't know subtlty if it sodomised him. Car chase, boat chase, plane chase... always a f**king chase or crash. Seriously show me a good movie this guy was involved in. And don't bother saying Pirates of the Carribean, I hated that too.

And then ofcourse its a game adaptation, which always suck.

If it turns out anything less than awful then i'll...well i'll be wrong. I don't care enough to eat my hat.

Actually, it's more that I hate crappy, brain sapping adaptations of artistic masterpieces that undermine the ideas, emotions, characters and basic fucking principles of the original while crediting their audience with the collective intelligence of an autistic gerbil.

but, you know, feel free to carry on this ridiculous defence without having any idea what you're on about. Don't let me stop you kiddo.

that was a typo.Your first paragraph made me want to stab both my eyes out. I won't respond it to because you read FAR too much into this film when you can sit there and tell me snakes on a plane is a brilliant movie(ok i will now officaly eat my keyboard like i promised i would if i mentioned that again here)

I just can't get over that.

I enjoyed the day after tomorrow, enjoyed POTC and enjoyed War of the Worlds too. Or am I the only one?

wat of the worlds to be fair i didnt like because It mad eme remember a date i didnt want to remember but anyway I think it was a shit film:)

day after 2moro ist too bad......no sorry it's terrible I'm trying my best:)

People are intitled to their opinions, but holy tell The Day After Tomorrow was so bad. The script was shit, the 'science' it was based on was totally bull shit not to mention there was no substance behind the cgi.

Lies.

The Day After Tomorrow is wicked.

Dont give a shit about science so = win. Jake Gylenhal = Instant win buy it now, buy it by the brick wtfbbq.

The guy from that Nickelodeon show, so again = win. Frozen NY city = win, tidal waves, storms, someone getting hit by massive flying debris = win win win.

(And awesome opening credits)

that was a typo.Your first paragraph made me want to stab both my eyes out. I won't respond it to because you read FAR too much into this film when you can sit there and tell me snakes on a plane is a brilliant movie(ok i will now officaly eat my keyboard like i promised i would if i mentioned that again here)

I just can't get over that.

My point was, as you so brilliantly failed to see, was that the film is substanceless- the script is a third trimester of an abortion compared to the graphic novel, which is utterly brilliant.

but then, you haven't read it so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this when you clearly haven't the means or the ability to understand my point.

My point was, as you so brilliantly failed to see, was that the film is substanceless- the script is a third trimester of an abortion compared to the graphic novel, which is utterly brilliant.

but then, you haven't read it so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this when you clearly haven't the means or the ability to understand my point.

Funny, you're about the first person I know whos read the graphic novel but doesnt like the film. *Shrugs*

How the strikes may affect certain movies...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/834/834519p1.html

Strike Watch: Possible Delays

Transformers 2, X-Files, Wolverine, G.I. Joe, JLA and more.

US, November 12, 2007 - With Hollywood's screenwriters on strike, and talks between the scribes and studios seemingly at a standstill, a number of highly-anticipated movie projects are in danger of being indefinitely delayed. Even after a "finished" screenplay is turned in, changes are frequently made to film scripts during filming. With the strike going on, that can't happen. This scenario is forcing studios to only move ahead with projects that they have serious confidence in.

Which of the flicks you're looking forward to might not make it into production? Variety has an in-depth look at the situation and updates on over a dozen different films that could go either way.

Writer Paul Haggis tells the trade that Bond 22's script is not locked, so Sony may end up extending the planned December start date for Daniel Craig's sophomore outing as 007.

Variety scoops that the casting situation with Justice League -- no cast members are locked -- has Warner Bros. execs wringing their hands. The studio also faces trouble with The Incredible Mr. Limpet if the strike extends beyond February. And they'll also have to delay Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins if it goes into April. Warners does reportedly have a locked script for the live-action Jetsons movie, however.

Could G.I. Joe be a no-go? Not likely. Paramount recently hired four big-time scripters (Stuart Beattie, John Lee Hancock, Brian Koppleman and David Levien) to make sure the film will have no problems when it comes time to shoot in February. Variety adds that Joe has the additional plus of not relying on megastars that require huge paydays. Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura explains that their casting search is more about finding actors that are perfectly suited to their roles, regardless of their billing clout.

Transformers 2, which Michael Bay is set to start filming in June, could run into problems if the strike lasts for more than a few months. As could Disney's game-to-film adaptation of Prince of Persia which is slated to go before cameras around the same time next summer.

Wolverine is still ramping up, but will likely have to rely on visual effects gurus to craft the action sequences during post-production, Variety says.

The newly greenlighted X-Files movie sequel will probably be fine, as the studio has invested too much money in the production already. It starts filming in December with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprising their roles from Chris Carter's hit FOX show.

The big-budget remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, starring Keanu Reeves, is also expected to move forward at 20th Century Fox.

Finally, Universal is reportedly mulling their options on Land of the Lost, the forthcoming Will Ferrell comedy redo of the campy TV classic. Also on the bubble at Uni are Benicio del Toro's Wolfman, and Ridley Scott's Nottingham.

Hey, maybe it'll prevent it from getting ruined, wich I feel it will. It's hard to keep up with the 1st.
Yeah I REALLY hope they don't rush it! I'd rather wait until 2010 and it be totally awesome!!

Unless the story etc... for the possible sequels was already previously planned out in which case it could be ok, but otherwise starting filming in summer 08 sounds very early!

but then, [I]you haven't read it [/i] so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this when you clearly haven't the means or the ability to understand my point.

forgive me for judging a film by actually watching the film rather than reading the graphic novel

I never read the book but what I saw was a brilliantly entertaining film.