Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

Dreamworks takes Trolling to a whole new level

trolls.jpg

The Good Luck Trolls, with their frizzy, pastel-colored hair, are coming to the big screen via DreamWorks Animation.

The Glendale-based animation house, which has already turned an ogre into the successful "Shrek" franchise, announced Tuesday that it has pacted with Denmark's Dam Things, which controls the toy line, to develop an animated feature.

The brother-sister writing team of Adam Wilson and Melanie Wilson LaBracio will pen the screenplay, and Dannie Festa of Festa Entertainment, who brought the package to DreamWorks, will executive produce.

The troll doll was created in 1959 by Danish fisherman and woodcutter Thomas Dam, when he carved a doll based on Scandinavian trolls for his daughter Lajla. The toy line gained popularity in Europe and the U.S. during the early '60s, becoming a fad embraced by kids and the counter-culture.

Because Dam Things, the Scandinavian company that produced the toys, lost control of its copyright after failing to comply with U.S. laws, imitators flooded the market in the '70s and '80s. However, as a result of a 1994 Congressional law that restored copyright protection to a number of foreign works, the Dam family regained authority.

In 2005, DIC Entertainment produced the animated series "Trollz," with an accompanying doll line aimed at girls, but the modernized version didn't have the same success as the classic versions.

In striking the deal with DWA, Niels Dam, the dollmaker's son who now owns the family business, said, "My father would have been very happy to know that his Troll has found its dream partner in DreamWorks Animation."

Calle Ostergaard, CEO of Dam Things, added, "We have been planning to bring the Good Luck Troll toy line back into homes around the world, and we are excited to see how the talented storytellers and artists at DreamWorks Animation will bring them to life."

DWA head of development Alex Schwartz said, "We look forward to working alongside Dam Things to build on the mythology of the Good Luck Trolls while delivering the sense of adventure, heart and comedy that DreamWorks Animation is known for."

Wilson and Wilson LaBracio, who have written the features "Evergone" and "The Impossible Adventures of Phineas Roone," are repped by Festa, Preferred Artists and attorney Eric Suddleson. Dam Things is repped by Festa and attorney Jay Handlin.

They're creepy as fuck. Do not want.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the latest toy movie adaptation -- the Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots. Or is it actually the latest indication that cinema is truly a dead art form?

Pajiba has the scoop on the film, which is the result of a teaming between toymaker Mattel and Mandeville Films, with one-time respected director Wolfgang Petersen (Das Boot, Troy) attached to direct.

rock_1277402344.jpg

The project is being described as Gladiator meets Iron Man, with the "human story of one robot that becomes part human, part robot." Kurt Wimmer (Salt, Law Abiding Citizens) is "possibly" scripting, according to the site's source.

Meanwhile, the boxing-robots concept is already being done with the Hugh Jackman film Real Steel. And anyway, that's just a new take on the Richard Matheson story "Steel," which was also turned into a Twilight Zone episode.

Source - IGN.com

wow... truley wow... so Trolls from above and this as movies.

Mean Girls 2

So not fetch.

Mean Girls 2 will take on the same idea as the original, but it will be sporting a new cast as well as different character names, and, of course, a new plot. The plot for this film will revolve around a girl named Jo. She will befriend the outcast, Abby, because Abby's father offers to pay for Jo's very expensive education.

Stars Meaghan Martin (Camp Rock) and Maiara Walsh (Cory in the House, Desperate Housewives) so far, more to be cast.

Just no. Especially as Fey obviously won't be writing this.

Sony is close to finding new Spider-Man. Many of the reportedly eight finalists considered for the role have screen tested.

Deadline is reporting that Sony's Columbia Pictures is close to casting Peter Parker. Friday, studio decision-makers viewed the screen tests of most of the young actors that are supposedly in contention to play your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. The Marc Webb directed reboot is scheduled to hit the big screen in July of 2012

shortlist.jpg

Of the eight actors, six screen tested and they are:

Jamie Bell (King Kong, Jumper)

Anton Yelchin (Star Trek)

Aaron Johnson (Kick-Ass)

Andrew Garfield (The Social Network),

Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief)

Alden Ehrenreich (Tetro)

It is not known if Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince) and Michael Angerano (Lords of Dogtown) have screen tested. Supposedly Dillane is going to London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and chose not to test.

The studio wants to get their choice nailed down soon so supporting actors can begin to be cast as well. Production will begin before the year ends. The script by Jamie Vanderbilt is still being worked on, and (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb is gearing up for a 3D shoot.

Other actors, namely Josh Hutcherson, have been on other lists. Deadline did not comment on his status whatsoever.

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

The first one (Jamie Bell I presume) looks like Chris Lowell, shame he's too old eh? And the one from last (Lerman?) looks like some scary anime villain. Do not like!

i know he's alot older than he looks, but i think Justin Long is a spot on for who they need.

he can play a very awkward geeky character as seen in Die Hard 4.0 and Accepted, and he does have a more serious side as seen in Drag me to hell.

i know he's not everyone's favourite actor, but given the way they want Peter Parker to be in this re-boot i think he'd work pretty well.

Robin Williams has been discussing his desire to appear in a Batman movie, stating that he'd play anything from The Riddler to an Arkham Asylum inmate in Batman 3.

Speaking to Empire Magazine about his work with director Christopher Nolan on Insomnia, Williams says "I would work with Chris again in a second, playing anyone in anything. I'd play The Riddler in the next Batman, although it would be hard to top Heath [Ledger] as the villain, and I'm a little hairy for tights."

batman-3-20100628070945995.jpg

Robin Williams in Christopher Nolan's Insomnia.

Williams even applies additional pressure by stating "I'm using this article as an ad. Chris, call me, I'll do anything. I could be a great character - or some weird little man in the background in Arkham Asylum."

The actor also spilled the beans regarding his chequered past with the franchise. "The Batman films have screwed me twice before" he explains. "Years ago they offered me The Joker and then gave it to Jack Nicholson, then they offered me The Riddler and gave it to Jim Carrey. I'd be like 'OK, is this a real offer? If it is, then the answer's yes. Don't pump me again, motherf**kers'."

It's been a while since Williams has done scary on screen, but if he reigns it in and delivers the same kind of creepy that won him so many plaudits in Nolan's Insomnia, he could be just the man for the Riddler role.

source - ign.com

it's been nearly a quarter of a century since Top Gun made aviator shades and homoerotic volleyball cool, but that isn't stopping Jerry Bruckheimer talking up plans for a sequel.

Speaking to MTV while publicizing latest blockbuster The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the uber-producer explained that Top Gun 2 has been attempted before.

"We tried to develop [a sequel] and we couldn't do it - I was with my partner Don Simpson" he explained. "And then Tom [Cruise] took it over and he tried to develop something and it never quite happened.

"We were recently approached again to start talking about it but, you know, nothing yet" he continued. "We kicked around some ideas because the aviation community has completely changed since we made the movie a long time ago. So we have to find a way in and how to incorporate the Maverick character into it."

Source - IGN.com

all i can say about this is... please no :(

Vin Diesel and Paul Walker won't be the only series stars returning for Fast Five, the fifth installment in Universal's The Fast & the Furious franchise.

"I'm back!! Roman is back!!," Tyrese Gibson declared this afternoon via Twitter. Gibson co-starred in the 2003 sequel 2 Fast 2 Furious when Diesel declined to return, but then didn't reprise his role as Roman Pearce in the subsequent sequels The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious.

Roman was an ex-con and childhood friend of Walker's protagonist ,Brian O'Conner.

Dwayne Johnson has been rumored to be playing the lawman chasing Diesel and Walker this time around. Justin Lin, who helmed the last two Fast films, will once again direct.

Source - IGN.com

Now thats better news, I never understood why in 2fast2furios Brian didnt just recruit Dom in the first place, and get his law record wiped clean,

it'll be good to see Dom & Roman meeting, imagine it'll be awkward.

Shame Han died in Tokyo Drift :(

Yes i love the fast n furios movies! :p

Andrew Garfield Cast as New Spider-Man

After a comprehensive worldwide casting search, Andrew Garfield has been chosen to portray Peter Parker when Spider-Man swings back onto the screen in 3D on July 3, 2012. The new film will begin production in early December directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by James Vanderbilt. Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad will produce the film from Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Today’s confirmation culminates what has been one of the most eagerly anticipated casting announcements in recent memory. Bloggers, pop culture speculators, and everyday fans have pored over and analyzed every conceivable online rumor in an attempt to discover the identity of the next actor to play Peter Parker. Garfield will immediately begin preparing for the coveted role.

The Spider-Man franchise is one of the most successful in film history and the three previous motion pictures have collectively grossed more than $2.5 billion in worldwide box office.

On selecting Garfield, director Marc Webb said, “Though his name may be new to many, those who know this young actor’s work understand his extraordinary talents. He has a rare combination of intelligence, wit, and humanity. Mark my words, you will love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker.”

Commenting on the announcement, Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, President of Columbia Pictures said, “Spider-Man is a classic superhero -- a young man who balances his responsibility to serve humanity and crush evil with the shyness and normalcy of someone struggling to find himself. The role demands an extraordinary actor. You need someone who can magically transform himself from Peter Parker into Spider-Man. An actor who will depict the vulnerability of youth and the strength and confidence of a legendary figure at the same moment. We have found that actor in Andrew Garfield. From the first time we saw him in the upcoming film The Social Network, to his glorious screen test, which floored all of us, we knew that we had found our new Peter Parker.”

Producer Avi Arad added, “I’m incredibly excited about Andrew Garfield. In the Spider-Man tradition, we were looking for a smart, sensitive, and cool new Peter Parker who can inspire us and make us laugh, cry, and cheer. We believe we have found the perfect choice to take on this role and lead us into the future.”

Producer Laura Ziskin said, “We are thrilled to have Andrew Garfield for this new incarnation of Spider-Man under Marc Webb’s direction. We were fortunate enough to meet with a group of fantastically talented young men. In the end, we all agreed that in addition to being an extraordinary actor, Andrew had the right mix of humor, youth, and pathos, along with an underlying sense of strength and power necessary to bring Peter Parker and Spider-Man to life on screen.”

The selection of Garfield was revealed at a press event in Cancun, Mexico for international journalists attending a media tour promoting upcoming films from Sony Pictures Entertainment. B-roll footage of the announcement will be available via satellite later this evening -- see uplink times coordinate information below.

Garfield is fast becoming one of the most respected and sought-after young actors working in the industry today. In a short career, spanning only five years, he has already been directed by, and starred alongside, some of the greatest names and received a BAFTA for a role that won him international praise.

Garfield most recently worked with director David Fincher on the upcoming film The Social Network. He previously starred for Spike Jonze on his robot love story I’m Here, which premiered at Sundance this year. He plays the lead male opposite Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan in Mark Romanek’s Never Let Me Go, due for release later this year.

Other notable screen credits include Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus playing opposite Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, Jude Law and the late Heath Ledger, Robert Redford’s Lions For Lambs, where he starred alongside Redford, Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep; Revolution Films’ “Red Riding Trilogy – 1974” directed by Julian Jarrold, where he lead a stellar cast including Rebecca Hall and David Morrissey, and his unforgettable portrayal of a young ex-con in John Crowley’s “Boy A,” for which he earned the best actor BAFTA in 2008.

Garfield’s career began in theatre and in 2006 his performances in “Beautiful Thing” (Sound Space/Kit Productions), “The Overwhelming,” and “Burn / Chatroom / Citizenship” (Royal National Theatre) won him the Milton Shulman Award for Outstanding Newcomer at the Evening Standard awards and the Jack Tinker Award for Most Promising Newcomer at the Critics Circle Theatre Awards. Other notable theatre credits include “Romeo and Juliet” (Manchester Royal Exchange) and “Kes” (Manchester Royal Exchange), for which he received the Most Promising Newcomer Award at the Manchester Evening News Awards 2004.

spideyannounce4.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26972

Did anyone else laugh at lines such as "Garfield is fast becoming one of the most respected and sought-after young actors working in the industry today" and "Garfield most recently worked with director David Fincher on the upcoming film The Social Network."

garfield.gif

Did anyone else laugh at lines such as "Garfield is fast becoming one of the most respected and sought-after young actors working in the industry today" and "Garfield most recently worked with director David Fincher on the upcoming film The Social Network."

garfield.gif

I did!

Hmmm I'm not familiar with him, but he seems like a good choice visually.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!