Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Free Radical Talk Wii

Retro_Link

Free Radicals David Doak [of Goldeneye fame!] recently spoke about possible work on Wii,

scientist.jpg

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8634/1/Free_Radical_Talk_Possible_Wii_Projects

Free Radical's legendary David Doak recently spoke on potential projects for Wii, including a possibility for TimeSplitters to make a return, Second Sight and more.

GI: You’ve always been pretty high up on the latest and greatest hardware, you’re rolling onto the PS3 with Haze, but some of your biggest fan base was on Nintendo’s consoles, because there weren’t a whole lot of shooters on the GameCube. Are you thinking about putting TimeSplitters on the Wii, as well? What do you think about making a first-person shooter for the Wii?

Doak: I think it’s a good thing to do, and I think we want to put it on the Wii. And I’m sure it’s possible to do a control scheme that works. Also, if you want to start a petition for remaking Second Sight on the Wii, I’d like to see that as well, because I think that game worked really well, [laughs] because of the manipulation stuff.

GI: It probably would. It’s been tried though, and some first-person shooters have turned out better than others on the Wii. How can someone make a good one? I don’t know if you’ve played Metroid yet, but it works.

Doak: I’m waiting. Metroid is on my list. Although they obviously make the circle-strafe lock-on compromise. It’s really funny. When I played Prime and Echoes, I would start playing it, and for the first 15 minutes I would say, “I hate this! I ___ hate this lock-on bit!” but then it goes away. You play, you enjoy it and you forget about it. And then maybe you leave it alone for a couple of days and it’s back.

Be sure to read the complete interview over at Game Informer, discussing the upcoming PS3 title Haze, TimeSplitters and more. Thanks to GoNintendo.

Someone get that petition started!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doak: I think it’s a good thing to do, and I think we want to put it on the Wii. And I’m sure it’s possible to do a control scheme that works. Also, if you want to start a petition for remaking Second Sight on the Wii, I’d like to see that as well, because I think that game worked really well, [laughs] because of the manipulation stuff.

READ: Oh shit, we started developing games for the PS3 as we thought it was gonna sell like hot cakes and be the generation leader by the end of the year. As it's selling like crap and Wii's are flying off the shelf we've taken notice, plus we can wheel out a much cheaper game which coupled with the larger user base will mean we make £tonnes!

Ahhhh... How I would love to shoot this bloke in the head in goldeneye... Memories...

Anyway, if they do a Timesplitters... nay, WHEN they do a Timesplitters for the Wii, they'd better beef up the story a wee bit. Incoherent nonsense from T2 kept me away from really loving it.

Just imagine... User created maps being spread through connect24... Pure Bliss... Perfect Dark's Goldeneye remakes' remakes on the Wii... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

dot dot dot

Anyway, if they do a Timesplitters... nay, WHEN they do a Timesplitters for the Wii, they'd better beef up the story a wee bit. Incoherent nonsense from T2 kept me away from really loving it.
No, the retarded stupidity of TS is what makes it so great!

His hinting towards TSWii is great news. This could be a Wii killer app if they tried, which hopefully they will.

Have you not played TimeSplitters Future Perfect?

So Free Radical are going to follow suit by testing the waters with another port or remake.

They'll never hit out with an instant killer app, it'll be Timesplitters 3 Wii or Second Sight Wii and if it doesn't sell(which is quite likely for Second Sight which didnt sell well before) then they'll dump the Wii and stick with the Xbox360 or multiHD platform games.

Have you not played TimeSplitters Future Perfect?

No! Wasn't even aware that such a game existed! Always thought that FR did Second Sight immediately after TS2 (and did nothing else in the mean time)... Was it any good?

No, the retarded stupidity of TS is what makes it so great!

Sure, but the episodic way in which the "story" was backed was nonsens, and that's what I meant. FR's sense of humor brought back sweet memories of Perfect Dark, but the storyline suggested that the writing staff stayed Rareware :p

No! Wasn't even aware that such a game existed! Always thought that FR did Second Sight immediately after TS2 (and did nothing else in the mean time)... Was it any good?

It's better in every way, just not significantly so, which is why it wasn't as critically acclaimed as TS2.

Better story (you play as the funny-but-dim Cortez through the whole game), improved variety in missions, more checkpoints and the multiplayer is far superior to TS2 IMO, with much bigger and better levels, even more characters, and detailed end-of-match statistics. We always play this over TS2 during gaming events.

The Challenges are back too, and getting platinums for all of them is almost as tough as for TS2.

Another TS game would be good, but given Free Radical's obvious talents for FPS games, I would like to see a new FPS altogether.

Everyone talks about TS2, it seems like people have just totally missed Future Perfect - which I thought was better than TS2. The missions were far better, the story was funny, and it just all round seemed like a more polished product.

I replayed a lot more of the FP missions, on TS2 all I seemd to do was replay the dam.

I never enjoyed TS2. I couldn't get past the GC C-Stick, which I hated for FPS games. Stopped me enjoying Metroid Prime, too. My friends raved over the PS2 version, so I'd be interested in a Wii version, for sure :)

At least the C-Stick is better than the PS2 sticks.

READ: Oh shit, we started developing games for the PS3 as we thought it was gonna sell like hot cakes and be the generation leader by the end of the year. As it's selling like crap and Wii's are flying off the shelf we've taken notice, plus we can wheel out a much cheaper game which coupled with the larger user base will mean we make £tonnes!

Ain't that the damn truth!?

I never enjoyed TS2. I couldn't get past the GC C-Stick, which I hated for FPS games. Stopped me enjoying Metroid Prime, too. My friends raved over the PS2 version, so I'd be interested in a Wii version, for sure :)

I never had a problem with the C-Stick, lthough I've always found it better if you play moving and straffing with the C-Stick and looking and turning with the main stick. However, it's very hard to switch to that if you're used to the other way around.

I never enjoyed TS2. I couldn't get past the GC C-Stick, which I hated for FPS games. Stopped me enjoying Metroid Prime, too.

What does the C-stick have to do with Metroid's "FPS" controls? It's used to switch guns!

At least the C-Stick is better than the PS2 sticks.

Got that right! Playstation has the worst sticks ever made. And on top of the sticks sucking, the left one is very badly placed. The Playstation controller is the only "modern" controller that has the D-pad where the stick should be. That was fine back in 1998 when it appeared but nowadays it's just pathetic.

As for Second Sight, I have it on the GC, it's a fun average game but I would not buy it again for Wii. Second Sight 2 possibly, if it were improved. As for TS, never had it. Player the opening level on a PS2 once and I couldn't stop thinking about GoldenEye.

We need them on wii. Timsplitters>Any other fps

Yeah, if you've not played 99% of other FPS.

Timesplitters never stood out for me, it wasn't particularly exciting, engaging or 'new' imo.

Timesplitters never stood out for me, it wasn't particularly exciting, engaging or 'new' imo.

I found Timesplitters to be utterly superb and would defo class it as one of the best FPS games, I found it's multiplayer to be awesome and very well balanced.

As far as console FPS games go it's second to only Goldeneye and PD in terms of control.

Although, saying that the best FPS of all time on Gamerankings is Metroid Prime!

I've only really played the multiplayer and I found it frustrating and floaty. It seemed like a perfect reason to NEVER play a FPS on a console ever again. Esepcially when you had games like MOHAA that were made years earlier.

am no just no. I have played a lot of fps games and this certinaly trashes the halo multiplayer.

perhaps you didn't play it with friends?

I've only really played the multiplayer and I found it frustrating and floaty. It seemed like a perfect reason to NEVER play a FPS on a console ever again. Esepcially when you had games like MOHAA that were made years earlier.

It's the best Fps multiplayer experience on any console.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!