N-Europe

Xbox Live More Important than Wii...Says Molyneux

Falcon_BlizZACK

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xbox live doesn't do anything particularly new, plus you have to pay for it. I've used live a fair bit at my friend's, and to be honest I much prefer PC online gaming.

You have to pay for the Wii Remote's too, remember?

Well. For hardcore gamers that care about online.

I don't get what's so special about XBL...Isn't it just Xfire for consoles?

Not at all. A friends list is part of it ofcourse, but there's a whole lot more than that. There's the Xbox Live Arcade where there are loads of great games which you would never see otherwise. Where do you think Nintendo got the idea for WiiWare from? There is a place where you can download demo's for hundreds of titles (for free). Not a demo available? Well the chances are there will be a video available for free, in High Definition. You can now download films and TV shows from it, in HD, and then watch it on your TV.

The thing you pay for is to actually play online using a great service, you really can't compare it to Nintendo's service at all. It's worth every penny. Everything I mentioned above (apart from the tv shows) is free to any Xbox user.

The thing I'm actually enjoying most about XBL are the demos. I'm really glad that these are out there and I think that Nintendo are missing a major step by NOT putting these out there. But then again, making it happen would require their publishing department to actually do their job properly so...

At the risk of being shot:

I think what he says has a bit of truth behind it. While the Wiimote is definately more "revolutionary" than XBL - it changes games completely - the quote is:

" will ultimately be far more impactful on video games in the long term than something like the Wii controller."

Do you really see the Xbox3, PS4 and Wii2 all having these Wiimote controllers? I don't. Do you see them all having XBL levels of online? I do.

I think what he says has a bit of truth behind it. While the Wiimote is definately more "revolutionary" than XBL - it changes games completely - the quote is:

Do you really see the Xbox3, PS4 and Wii2 all having these Wiimote controllers? I don't. Do you see them all having XBL levels of online? I do.

Wii is the best selling console ever purely because the controller. If you honestly think Sony and Microsoft won't want a peice of that pie next gen you're insane.

I see them having both. Not in the shape of a remote, that was just chosen to appeal to those scared by controllers, but I don't doubt every controller in the future will have gyros, two parts and pointing/spatial positioning abilites. Also, online systems will become more and more robust.

Umm, well obviously. I'm just saying that given one is a virtual service, not exactly a physical product, it doesn't necessary have to incur a cost (given DS and PS3 online don't).

And yeh, regarding revolutionary, XBL really isn't. I've been through the features of Live and PSN a lot- PSN actually isn't all that far behind Live (contrary to what people say). Demos, exclusive games, additional game content, downloadable trailers and smooth running online games. Buddy lists too. It just needs to properly incorporate buddy lists globally to catch up a little with Live.

If you think about the PC, you can download demos, trailers, additional game content (mods) message friends, speak over mic all anyway, while playing a game, without paying £40 a year to a company to do so.

Just my 2 cents anywho. :p

Not at all. A friends list is part of it ofcourse, but there's a whole lot more than that. There's the Xbox Live Arcade where there are loads of great games which you would never see otherwise. Where do you think Nintendo got the idea for WiiWare from? There is a place where you can download demo's for hundreds of titles (for free). Not a demo available? Well the chances are there will be a video available for free, in High Definition. You can now download films and TV shows from it, in HD, and then watch it on your TV.

The thing you pay for is to actually play online using a great service, you really can't compare it to Nintendo's service at all. It's worth every penny. Everything I mentioned above (apart from the tv shows) is free to any Xbox user.

Well said.

The thing I'm actually enjoying most about XBL are the demos. I'm really glad that these are out there and I think that Nintendo are missing a major step by NOT putting these out there. But then again, making it happen would require their publishing department to actually do their job properly so...

The thing is with Nintendo they have always been very secretive about their own games so giving us demos would be a total change of character for them. Then again they could do what XBL does at E3, give us videos of the games there and demos that the others are playing at the actual event.

If you think about the PC, you can download demos, trailers, additional game content (mods) message friends, speak over mic all anyway, while playing a game, without paying £40 a year to a company to do so.

Just my 2 cents anywho. :p

When did the internet become free?

Last time i checked you have to pay for it to be able to use it

These days it comes free with some TV packages (and the TV packages are no more expensive than they used to be without the internet).

Yea, but isn't this all about the video game part, not the other bits? The only thing XBLA did new (video game related) for consoles was bring downloadable demos to it, so you don't need to buy magazines for demos.

True but having demos, videos and XBLA games at your disposal, aswell as a fantastic online gaming service, for £30-40 a year is a great service. Microsoft have set the bench mark for online gaming and it still has yet to be bettered, even Sony are trying their best to mimic it.

Both the Live and Wiimote technology are great for gaming and if the 2 came together then you would pretty much be set.

There was nothing amazing about the idea, anyone could say "I'm gonna make a game where you can do anything and go anywhere!". What would be amazing is pulling it off.

:bowdown: Quoted for truth, an amazing idea is one that no one else has ever had.

From the SNES.

Again, quoted for truth, people forget the first online gaming witha console was back with the SNES. Downloadable Zelda levels with a online scoreboard to show who had clocked them first? Now that was revolutionary back then.

Yes, but you don;t have to pay a monthly subscription, you buy one and it's yours. With XBOX Live once you've paid for your console the costs just keep mounting if you want to join in with the online stuff.

My thoughts on XBOX Live are that it is highly polished, very well done, but ultimately it's merely evolutionary. It's just an extension and polishing of what we've seen with PCs and even what was available back on the SNES.

The Wii is REVOLUTIONARY - it changes the way we play games and the way that developers think adding a more immersive experience than previously possible.

Of course it isn't. Wii is outselling Xbox 360 and is expanding the market. Therefore it's having a bigger impact on the games industry.

As much as I love Xbox 360 (and Xbox Live) I'd actually argue that Microsoft is a fairly stupid company, what with the decision to sell a console without a hard drive, the hardware problems they've had, and of course still charging £40 a year for Live when the PSN does it for free and I believe on dedicated servers.

Then you may as well exclude that from this little debate, since you'll be paying for the internet for both XBL and PC use.

Either way I was sort of right, you can do all the things I listed for free, meaning no additional cost on top of the (obvious) monthly charge for using the internet.

Again, quoted for truth, people forget the first online gaming witha console was back with the SNES. Downloadable Zelda levels with a online scoreboard to show who had clocked them first? Now that was revolutionary back then.

Not just remakes of NES games released in either full or episodic content form (with stuff like streaming voice acting), but whole new games.

Oh, and the Sega Genesis had a service similar, too. It included free demos and the ability to purchase retail games and download them.

Yea, but isn't this all about the video game part, not the other bits? The only thing XBLA did new (video game related) for consoles was bring downloadable demos to it, so you don't need to buy magazines for demos.

It also pretty much brought continuous arcade gaming to the home console.

Then you may as well exclude that from this little debate, since you'll be paying for the internet for both XBL and PC use.

Either way I was sort of right, you can do all the things I listed for free, meaning no additional cost on top of the (obvious) monthly charge for using the internet.

The only thing you pay for with Xbox Live is to be able to play against other players with Live.

Everything else is free

The Wii is REVOLUTIONARY - it changes the way we play games and the way that developers think adding a more immersive experience than previously possible.

I can't be bothered to break down most of this thread, but I'd just like to quickly point out that this is not what Molyneux is saying. He already previously stated that he loves the Wiimote, it's revolutionary, it changes the way we play. But he also said that to him, XBL will have a more important effect in future. You're arguing against nothing, here.

As a good friend once said (in a voice slowed for dramatic effect): R-E-A-D-I-N-G C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N

I agree. Motion-sensing and the like isn't always necessary in all games. The Wii-Remote; while it certainly adds to some gaming experiences, it also detracts from a few - hence the creation of the classic controller and the continued use of Gamecube controllers.