N-Europe

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

Falcon_BlizZACK

I think it has grown on me already. While i definitely like the idea of point where i wanna shoot/pass and have teammates move where i want them to move, having those arrows on-screen looked a bit weird to me.

I think I'll get used to it. It sounds very promising. We'll have to see how it plays and if it wont get too confusing, since you can controls so many things.

I doubt this game will sell very well in comparison to PS2 (is there gonna be one?), PS3 and 360 version. The hardcore fans will not accept the changes, they'll moan how bad the controls are and standard controls are better.

It'll only sell to the PES-hungry Wii fans out there. I dont want this to be another Winning Eleven 6 for GC, ie only one game. If it bombs, it'll be the last we'll ever see. That'd be a shame.

As for now, Im liking the idea. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks brilliant, especially when u can choose off the ball movements!!!!!!!!!!! That's what i wanna see in sport game, the ability to tell off the ball players where to go and manually passing the ball to them.

the power is cpu assisted but at least you can pass to whoever you want. that what i want in footy games. the shooting looks like it will be assisted but with the Wii controls i not really sure you could have it on manual.

the ability to control every player in the box on corners is a great feature. that should help stop the scripted corners you get on PES on the other consoles.

Looks like game is coming along very nicely.

IMJ yeah Wii owners will have to buy this. Japanese GC owners totally shunned WE6:FE.

Well... the gameplay mecaninc seems indeed interesting, but i'm kind of ceptic about it. I mean... will it work? I want a awesome gameplay. It's football game, i need that assurance. Unfortunately we don't have... Doesn't seem a great deal.... i think 3rd partys still don't know how to use the motion sensing...

Anyway, i won't talk more about it. I will wait and see.... at least seems better than FIFA 2008.

Have to be honest here, this looks like it's going to be the best footall game ever. I thought Fifa had overtaken PES, and it has on the 360, PS3 and PS2, but this looks like it's going to demolish them all.

Looking at the graphics again though, they are exactly the same as they are in the PS2 version, except in wide screen. The PS2 versions graphics have been the same since PES 4, which came out in 2004, there's no excuse for that really.

Actually, PES3 was the last time the series had a graphical overhaul. And yes, this does look pretty much the same engine. I'm sure Konami will polish it up though, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I still don't see it replacing FIFA in my Wii though. It's more sort of a companion title for me.

*Has orgasm*

Wow, wow, wow.

*Has orgasm again *

Those looks, that gameplay, man. Pick me up.

Pick me up too!!!! This is now officially THE best wiik ever.

And the graphics already look enhanced from the PS2 models. A lot less blurry.

Hmm not sure really what to make of it..they have taken a very different direction to FIFA's more gesture based approach...

I'm really not sure about all the arrows onscreen all the time are they really needed wouldn't a single cursor on screen be adequate?

I've passed on FIFA purely cos theres so much other stuff to play...so will likely pick this up...

This game looks great but theres a few things im concerned about - I hate the fact it determines whether it does a low or high pass depending on distance, this is shit, what if a player is close but there s aplayer in the way and you want a tiny chip over the oppositions legs (somethin g fifa 08 does very well)? What if you wanted to zip a ball along the floor to a player far away?

Also, with the pointing passing, isnt it limited about who you can see on screen? What if I wanted to do a 50 yard wonder pass the likes of Tom Huddlestone does?

There are a few thinsg which seem a little computer controlled and surely it should be giving us more control?

This is very interesting, some AMAZING ideas, but I just can't see it working yet. Very excited by it though! Fifas great and if Pro Evo can nail it first time too then weve got some awesome games here!

I just wished football game fans saw the genius of it all rather than sticking with the Sony and Xbox brands!

I don't like football and I don't buy football games but I really don't see how people who like the sport can possibly NOT like this game. This type of control adds so much strategy to the game that you basically are not impersonating the players anymore, you are actually impersonating the coach! I would reckon this game is the wet dream of football fanatics.

I don't like football and I don't buy football games but I really don't see how people who like the sport can possibly NOT like this game. This type of control adds so much strategy to the game that you basically are not impersonating the players anymore, you are actually impersonating the coach! I would reckon this game is the wet dream of football fanatics.

That depends on whether you want to be the coach or the player :)

Surely if you want to be the coach then play Football Manager, maybe this can do both!

But CM is not real time, is it? You decide tactics and then the game plays out out of your control, no? I never played CM, but I watched people play it. PES Wii makes you the coach in real time, making strategy a bigger part of the game than it ever was before.

PES 4 was an overhaul from PES 3.

Heh, was it? You'd never know it between them! :D

I'm really glad that Konami are taking this approach, but I worry it might get confusing in 2 player with all those lines on screen. Plus, you'll always know where your opponent is going to run to, won't you?

silly question maybe

but all those lines and arrows wnt b in the game will they?

also does pes have a manger mode sort of thing as this is the thing most people seemed 2 miss from fifa on the wii

No it has a shitty ML. trust me it is really weak! basically you can select a team and play in the respective leagues. (English, French, Italian) Konami do not bother including lower league teams though so if I choose Marseille and play Ligue 1 ML for example my Ligue 2 has to be a division with french, english teams etc mixed together.

There is a domestic cup in the ML but again konami have two cups for league 1 and league 2. why not just have one cup with all teams together??

You do get some kind of champions league but again it is not right as Konami doesnt include enough teams in the games. I think the top six qualify for CL and sometimes you end up playing two teams from your league in the same CL group.

You cannot change clubs while in ML mode. so after a few season when you have won everything you gotta start again if you want to play with a different team.

If you are new to Master League you probably will be okay with it bit if like me you have been playing this mode for four years now it gets boring quick.

No it has a shitty ML. trust me it is really weak! basically you can select a team and play in the respective leagues. (English, French, Italian) Konami do not bother including lower league teams though so if I choose Marseille and play Ligue 1 ML for example my Ligue 2 has to be a division with french, english teams etc mixed together.

What!! No Leicester City!!!???

Perhaps the arrows are to help beginners and then, once you get used to it, maybe they can be switched off and you can play without them?
That would make the most sense, and perhaps you'll be able to adjust how they're displayed, transparency levels ect...

I imagine it would be a bit too confusing in multiplayer otherwise. :heh:

Anyway, I think this looks absolutely fantastic. The video shows just how much scope there is for strategic play, and being able to accurately move the ball to any space you want is going to have such a huge impact on games.

If they nail this control setup I think it could well be the best configuration for a football game, ever.

Only gripe at the moment is with shaking the Nunchuck to shoot, purely because there could be issues with responsiveness that way. :hmm: I'm sure the controls will be customizable anyway, I think I'd prefer to have shooting mapped to a button.

It doesn't, different acelerometer brands actually.

I'm sure when the Wii came out...people took apart nunchuk and wiimote to find the same...

Anyway other points about the game, I don't like the game deciding what kind of pass it does...if a player is far away but there is clear space between them a drive across the floor may be better, not a looping ball in the air giving the other team time to get in an intercept. I also don't like how if you pass into space then players will auto run for the ball...its all abit Virtua Striker which was very much automated....

But hopefully some of the pointer options will alleviate these problems. The IGN video makes all look so easy and whether in the hit of a match the pacing of the game (which seems kinda arcadey kinda sim) will allow for these cleverly drawn out moves remains to be seen. If so it could be the most free form and expressive football games ever.

Also please Konami allow for the arrows to be turned off. It of course can benefit the player but also in multiplayer would lead to confusion. I remember the first time FIFA started to properly introduce through balls, it had a line that came up to show the way the wall was going through to help you place it through the defense, thankfully these could be turned off. Lets hope they do the same here. Do that and chuck in a decent online system (I expect the PS2 system bare minimum) and I'll be a very happy man...

I've given FIFA a miss this year as theres far too much else to get playing this time of year, so Pro Evo will be a must buy for me. Let's hope they get it sorted and give us a killer.

Looks pretty classy.

I'd say that the arrows and stuff will be able to be turned off, they look like they're only in the video for the purpose of demo-ing the game and showing what its all about. In the final game the arrows will probably be there just to help you at the beginning when you're learning the ropes. Sure at one point there's a line showing where the last defender is for offside, that surely won't be a permanent inclusion in the game, so neither should the arrows be.

Other than that, the game looks like its gonna be a tiring one to play - and not cos of all the pointing, I mean from a pure concentration point of view. To see places to get people to dummy run and get someone else to ghost in as well as all the other possibilities is going to take alot of concentration and focus, imo. And Pro Evo was already a game of concentration anyway!

Full Interview whit producer Akiyoshi 'Greyhound' Chosogabe:

Quote:

Pro Evolution Soccer has long been a lunchtime favourite and with the series finally competing on all formats, this is going to be one to watch as it takes on EA's FIFA franchise.

While the PS3 version of PES has been grabbing all the attention (it's set to debut this month) it's the intriguing Wii version which has PES purists scratching their beards, wondering just what the series has in store.

While we had a first glimpse of Pro Evo 2008 on Wii at last week's Pro Evo finals in Seville, we also managed to have a word with Akiyoshi 'Greyhound' Chosogabe, producer of the Wii version. Trivia fans might like to know that he first cut his teeth on the Pro Evo Management title.

Before you go, don't forget to check out our exclusive news about the Classic Controller, where you'll also discover a splendid movie detailing PES Wii's intriguing new control method.

What's been the most challenging part about developing a version of PES for Wii?

Greyhound: It was challenging to create a brand new control system and the most difficult thing for me was having a brand new way of thinking. Of course all of the development team are core PES fans, but even some of the team didn't initially like the idea of a brand new control system. But I wanted to create a brand new PES.

We've only seen the game in the training mode, don't you think controlling several players at the same time in a real game could prove difficult?

Greyhound: I showed you an actual match in the trailer on the screen yesterday and I'm just using the training mode because time is very limited.

But it's not so difficult to use this control scheme in an actual match. I think players will easily get used to this control method, but I wanted to show the simple method and training is the easiest way to show this.

Would you say the Wii version is one for hardcore players? Wii is geared more towards casual players in Europe, is this the same in Japan?

Greyhound: In the beginning I wondered if we would have to create a casual game, because the Wii is a more of a casual player's machine. But I thought it would be boring if we create it as a more casual game. Therefore in the beginning I abandoned any plans to make this a more casual version and started to look for a brand new direction.

With Mario Strikers Charged Nintendo created the first online game for Wii in Europe. Did you ever consider including an online mode in Wii PES?

Greyhound: I'm still in research and development to have Wi-Fi functionality, but currently there are some issues to be solved before we have an online version of the game.

Did you ever consider controlling the game with your feet? Using the Wii-mote in that way? Using your foot to shoot for example?

Greyhound: In the beginning we had the idea of putting the Nunchuck controller on your boot and actually one of the team put it on his foot.

But it wasn't quite as interesting as we expected [laughs]. The guy who put the controller on his foot looked very awkward and it did not look like playing football at all. It looked like he had something wrong with his foot, so it was not a very successful experiment.

As well as the new control scheme, will you support the Classic Controller with this Wii version?

Greyhound: The base of this Wii version is the PS2 version, so technically it's possible to have classic control. But I'm focussing on creating a brand new game system so I don't have any plans to use the Classic Controller.

While the unique control method will satisfy Wii players, do you think there's a danger traditional PES fans might not want to re-learn their tried and trusted control method?

Greyhound: Everything we are doing, especially with test players shows some of the development staff can read their opponent's mind by seeing the arrows on the screen. So I would like you to practice the game very hard. If you practice hard I think you will be able to find a good method.

Could your control method form a basis for the DS version of the game?

Greyhound: I'm not involved in development of the DS version but we're exploring some opportunities there.

Moving away from PES Wii for a moment, you produced the Pro Evo Management game, any chance we'll see a return for that series?

Greyhound: I'm very happy to have that question. Personally I would like to continue that management series but the company has this new direction [on Wii].

I would love to do the next version of PES management, I would be very happy to include some PES management features in the next Wii version of the game.

source:cvg

new video: http://gonintendo.com/?p=27376