NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

Funnily enough, the first one that springs to mind is EA's FIFA08. That was certainly purposefully stripped of content to fit in with their "casual" gaming departments' business plan for the Wii. There's no technical reason whatsoever to explain the lack of any kind of focussed single player content. They did it because they had their ideas of who the average Wii gamer was, and obviously they came up with the further idea that he didn't want involved gaming.

Idiots.

or perhaps Fifa was rushed so it wasn't coming out towards the end of the season like PES.

Personally I found FIFA to be an excellent 1st step on Wii. Yet it does feel like the "first" title ouf ot the door can be missed by many as people seem to feel with wii that they will just add "more" next time and refine the motion controls. I bought tiger woods '07 and felt instantly ripped off. Even though it had most of the features the GC/PS2 versions had, (and an option for old school controls) it played horribly. I just knew the motion control was going to be better in '08. And it was. And it is a far better game for it.

You end up generally thinking "should I wait until next years version?" I guess that's the problem if a title has yearly updates. People will wait for the next one. I just think it would be criminally unfair of Konami to say "V1.0 didn't sell...SO NO! Wii does not get PES2009". (Kinda like Winning Eleven on GC (in Japan)).

However, I feel that is the reality we face as wii owners.

I really think Wii 3rd party efforts can afford a flop here and there, but when dev's KNOW something like pro evo 2009 WILL sell (probably more) on the 360/PS3/PC they need not bother with the "hassle" or even the "challenge" of bringing a "generic" sports title to Wii. Especailly when they already (judging by modes stripped) think that the vast majority want casual games.

I'll probably be preordering this game soon. I haven't played FIFA, but then it's a game I've never really enjoyed since FIFA 99.. and even then, that was before I had even played ISS 64 which totally converted me!

I have Winning Eleven on the Gamecube but since then I have felt really starved of a proper football game! I have played my friends at every PES game that has every existed on the PS2 but it isn't the same as having your own game to play! While I enjoy playing these, there hasn't been a significant difference between PES 5 and PES 2008 (3 versions) so having new controls on the Wii is gonna be refreshing!

Hopefully it will be carried out well as I'm definitely interested. Playing patiently is perhaps where my strength lies so I would hope to get to grips with this quickly and be able to stamp my style of play on it.

I applaud Konami for trying to be different and I hope at the end of the day we can all enjoy the game and have some great matches together online!

about the passing it sounds gd if u hav the optin 2 do it manually?

and for 2 player games does anyone know what happens to all the movement drawings as u think that would get confushing?

:blank: name any examples of games that have been unnecissarily stripped down for Wii?

Need for Speed Pro Street - No online (unnecessarily taken out).

And there are heaps more.

talking about games being stripped down for the Wii. Is it true that Bomberman Land Touch! 2 has no online multiplayer even though it is included in the DS and PSP versions.

I think you're on about Worms.....unless it's both!!! It'll get sorted eventually, look at DS. Most games soon will be online on Wii!!!

Anyways, whens this game out in japan and are you getting it khilafah so you can tell us what it is like :D

All the online things aren't unnecessary, they are caused by dodgy support. If they were unnecessary cuts, devs wouldn't cut them. Worms is going to suffer bad from this.

Personally I found FIFA to be an excellent 1st step on Wii....

Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong I wasn't slagging it off at all. I got it at launch last year and I still play it almost everyday. I think to be fair EA did a sterling job on the controls. Really satisfying and fun to play, and a decent approach to the game, though better when you put the camera where it should be. Rather I was just getting at the lack of any kind of single player content. I just got the feeling that EA cynically targeted a very specific type of person with the Wii FIFA, and it wasn't regular gamers. It was kept "content-lite" purposefully for an intended Wii audience that they expected to have little or no care for such things or any kind of attention span.

And that's a pity, since the game more than stands up to the job on Wii. I think a bit more attention on the AI, a good career mode or two, and perhaps a bit more love for the graphics and FIFA2009 will be a good buy. I'm very glad to see that there's to be some competition for it on Wii courtesy of Konami though. I think PES Playmaker is going to be very special.

...that's a pity, since the game more than stands up to the job on Wii. I think a bit more attention on the AI, a good career mode or two, and perhaps a bit more love for the graphics and FIFA2009 will be a good buy. I'm very glad to see that there's to be some competition for it on Wii courtesy of Konami though. I think PES Playmaker is going to be very special.

I wholly agree. What confused me about FIFA was that they had clearly spent a lot of time planning and implementing the online modes yet the single player was devoid of long-term gameplay elements. It's usually the other way around with Wii so it was both a pleasure and a curse at the same time.

I personally found the graphics to be pretty special. It was definately a step up from FIFA 07 on the Gamecube and the added "crispness" and close-ups of the players definately added an atmosphere and polish to the title. For comparison I've added a picture of FIFA 08 on the Wii and the "equivalent years edition" PES 2008 (pc version).

I know PES has never been about graphics but I would say FIFA stands up to a lot of games on wii. (Even through my camera phone!)

profifacomp.jpg

The main hope for next year is indeed a career mode and even though I enjoyed the party games there were massive opportunities missed. I'd actually like to see the footii party mode extended to even more modes and even given a 'complete' sub-section of it's own hidden within the game.

I liked the Mii inclusion and found it a neat way to personalise the game and even though the AI was (at times) archaic the game perhaps only needs minimal tweaking. I'm actually really looking forward to FIFA '09.

However, PES playmaker looks pretty good, yet the year-in year-out extensive editing of Pro Evo and crucial lack of the master league mode has left me thinking I will perhaps rent this first. I'm still in love with PES6 afterall.

I think you're on about Worms.....unless it's both!!! It'll get sorted eventually, look at DS. Most games soon will be online on Wii!!!

Anyways, whens this game out in japan and are you getting it khilafah so you can tell us what it is like :D

probably will get it as I hate the 360/PS3 versions and this one actually seems next-gen in its gameplay.

I personally found the graphics to be pretty special. It was definately a step up from FIFA 07 on the Gamecube and the added "crispness" and close-ups of the players definately added an atmosphere and polish to the title. For comparison I've added a picture of FIFA 08 on the Wii and the "equivalent years edition" PES 2008 (pc version).

I know PES has never been about graphics but I would say FIFA stands up to a lot of games on wii. (Even through my camera phone!)

The main hope for next year is indeed a career mode and even though I enjoyed the party games there were massive opportunities missed. I'd actually like to see the footii party mode extended to even more modes and even given a 'complete' sub-section of it's own hidden within the game.

I liked the Mii inclusion and found it a neat way to personalise the game and even though the AI was (at times) archaic the game perhaps only needs minimal tweaking. I'm actually really looking forward to FIFA '09.

Yes, I have to agree with a lot of what you say. I too think the graphics are lovely, but I think they could sort out the shadows on the pitch a bit. I play with the old PES-style side-on camera, and the players kits are meaningless when they're in the shadows. You can't tell who's who! But overall, yes the graphics are fairly neat, definitely a step up from say FIFA 07 on the Xbox. I bet they could wring some more out of the Wii though. I'd be disappointed if they didn't!

But it's a great game I reckon. Even with the lack of modes it's a game I'll be playing all year right up to the next one. It's just such fun to play, and it doesn't feel like a wannabee anymore, like FIFA's of the past.

Absolutely psyched for this game. Can't wait to cut defences into pieces with darting pass and move football, I have waited for this type of control for too long. TOO long.

off topic but why has UEFA Euro 2008 been announced for PS3/360/PSP but not DS or Wii??

I guess EA don't want to get hammered by Konami and the imminent release of PES! :D

EDIT:

This gives you a pretty good idea of the gameplay I reckon, though I have to say, the fumbled backpass in front of the open goal is a bit worrying!

yeah think it was up on the nom website

but it lookin gd lol

nice u can frelly change round formations

Have you seen the mii video? Absolutely brilliant. Great that you can create a mii team, wish you could just have one mii in a normal team though, that way I can put myself in the spurs team :)

I've not said much about this game up to now as I was extremely skeptical that this new control scheme would be any good. But, it actually seems like it's getting there tbh and could be a viable alternative though I doubt it could ever replace conventional controls for football games.

it must b very strange goin bak 2 a normal control system after this but if its actually better suppose hav 2 wait till we can buy it as it may b easier 4 more people than others but tht wats the wii is all with new game playin expierences

I've just been watching the Italy vs Brazil video, and as expected the commentary is dreadful. Clive Tyldesley sounds great on the FIFA commentary, but for some reason on PES he sounds really wooden and bored. Ah well, it wouldn't be PES if it didn't have a boring repetitious commentary track!

Regardless of over paid announcers, I'm definitely getting this in for Wii.

Game looks great, but why haven't they improved the graphics over the PS2 version?