NEurope
Helmsly

Wii Firmware update: 3.0U/E

I can see why they'd ban the Wii import games but is it really worth their time and effort to block the Gamecube freeloader? It is basically a dead format and all they're doing is irritating those who have a sizeable import collection. And let's face it, how many of us are there?
Problem is... Action replay uses the exact same method, me thinks.

Baby Steps

Wii Update Adds Primitive Keyboard Support

Last night's Wii update added a bunch of new stuff. Some good. Some bad. And some unexplained, but still good. Sort of. Let me explain! Seems Nintendo have quietly added USB keyboard support for the Wii. I say quietly because first, it's unannounced, and second, because so far we've found it only works in the Shop Channel, Settings Menu and the Message Board, not the Internet Channel. Yet. But give 'em time, it's obviously something that's coming.

Via Kotaku

yay!

Problem is... Action replay uses the exact same method, me thinks.

Yea, isn't it just a side-effect of blocking something that allows for homebrew stuff to run on it?

for the pirates that use modchips or the ones thinking of getting one. You are better of buying a US Wii or Japan Wii this way you don't have to worry about a thing! but i can tell you this: They will find a way to detect the modchip sooner or later. and when they do say bye bye to your Wii because it will probably crash while updating! So keep it legal and buy official stuff from Nintendo and don't modchip your Wii

Well I am not that happy about it... After all modchips would currently be the only option to let US- and JP-Wii-Games run on your Wii (although I don't own one because I would prefer a FreeLoader and still hope there will be one until the time I really need it for US- and JP-Games).

Things would be different of course, if they would have just made the Wii region-free as the intentended to do at the beginning...

I'm not against it being used for playing imports, although any form of modding like this is technically illegal you aren't allowed to modify the console in such ways. It's not just Nintendo's fault its something the industry should look at as a whole. It's just the done thing to have these territories.

But lets be honest, the vast majority of modders do it to get cheap copies, or run homebrew stuff that isn't meant to be run on the wii. my brother has a mate who has pretty much every wii game there is, my brother keeps saying he can get my done, but I have my principles.

for the pirates that use modchips or the ones thinking of getting one. You are better of buying a US Wii or Japan Wii this way you don't have to worry about a thing! but i can tell you this: They will find a way to detect the modchip sooner or later. and when they do say bye bye to your Wii because it will probably crash while updating! So keep it legal and buy official stuff from Nintendo and don't modchip your Wii

Im sure its legal for me to do whatever the hell i want to stuff I have bought and if its not I dont care as it should be, My wii is modded purely to play imports, and the prospect of homebrew. Why dont you stop trying to impose your values on others, Also there is no way for nintendo to tell if a console is hard modded, from a firmware update, so poo for you :(

Im sure its legal for me to do whatever the hell i want to stuff I have bought and if its not I dont care as it should be, My wii is modded purely to play imports, and the prospect of homebrew. Why dont you stop trying to impose your values on others, Also there is no way for nintendo to tell if a console is hard modded, from a firmware update, so poo for you :(

its the mentality that destroys the games industry. why do you think they all hate piracy? do you think its a accidence that we see more and more EA kind of games and game company's? Games that are all the same because they don't take any risks and stick with low risk gameplay. Banks do not give developers permission to take risks with games any more because of the Sony age.

I just say that pirating games does hurt the games industry and in the end it will hurt us to!

What you do is your choice but i hate it and i just want to say it is wrong.

its the mentality that destroys the games industry. why do you think they all hate piracy? do you think its a accidence that we see more and more EA kind of games and game company's? Games that are all the same because they don't take any risks and stick with low risk gameplay. Banks do not give developers permission to take risks with games any more because of the Sony age.

I just say that pirating games does hurt the games industry and in the end it will hurt us to!

"I do it only to play imports." Keep up Maiky. And why do you care? Nintendo don't have deep personal feelings for you like you do for them, so grow up.

On another note, does Action Replay still work? I bought one from Play.com that should be here soon.

He isn't trying to impose his values on you, he is merely looking at how the law stands and how mods etc... are wrong there's nothing about values in there...

How do you know there is no way for it to detect hard modded chips etc...? You know the in and outs of Nintendo's firmware do you? If Microsoft can disable people's Live accounts I'm sure Nintendo can find a way to combat such issues...

Your arguement that you should be able to do whatever you want with your console does not bear any water either, modding is illegal, under federal law (for example in US) Check out your instruction manuals they have sections about the companies rights in protecting the integrity of their devices and how modifying consoles is illegal. It's like saying having earnt money it's up to you what you do with it, as soon as those actions become illegal I think you lose the right to do whatever you want...and also the right to justify it...

Tell you want you spend millions of pounds developing something like a console and then let people rip you off by modding them and paying their mate down the round £2 for a disc, you'd soon be pissed off...

Couldn't agree more...spot on...

"I do it only to play imports." Keep up Maiky. And why do you care? Nintendo don't have deep personal feelings for you like you do for them, so grow up.

He cares because he doesn't want to see an industry brought to it's knees by selfish narrow minded individuals who think they don't have to live by the rules, it will be all of us who suffer not just with the games industry but also films etc...

I know people do it to only play imports, but there are also a vast number of people who don't. They want your repeat custom so why not offer some pirated games that just happen to work with your newly chipped console...

this has nothing to do with growing up. this has to do with "i do not like to see my friends losing there jobs and i would like to see other friends get a job in the games industry." I just love games and i want it to become better so we will see more Little Big Planet's, Ico's, Pikmin's and Wii games that dare to step out of the EA generation we are stuck in!

o and i forgot to tell one more important thing. every time you buy a mod chip you support the developers of it meening the will get more money and more ways to do more damage.

If modchips are legal or illegal depends on the country...

In any case Nintendo and the others should just damn remove their region locking and they could be against mod chips the hell they want...

@Maiky-NiSuTe:

Fine... I would buy an US-Wii if I would like to spend another 250 € (or maybe a bit less) for a console I already regulary own...

EDIT: Ah... I nearly forgot... I would need an extra of about 400-500 € because I would need a Japanese Version too - For japanese Games (especially Japanese only games)...

Right... I will do... If you give me the money for it (for free)...

Not that my intention currently is to get a mod-chip... I hope for a freeloader...

And also what's against homebrew? Maybe not many have use for them but they can be quite interesting and good too... e.g. play DivX-Files with PS2 on your TV a.s.o.

Oh: The PS2 is the only console I ever modded (and I hope it will stay that way - FreeLoader for Wii games would be fine or maybe if I had 250 €, which I would never need for other things (nearly impossible because if I would store it for later when I need it) I could buy an US-Wii BUT then I still would have troubles with Japanese-Games) and thank godness I did for that one... Otherwise I would have had to say bye-bye to my savegames - because of not being able to run the needed homebrew software - AND memory card ones (and I didn't even turn it off during the saving process)... But well that is more a kind of problem from the PS2 (don't think this problem would exist for Wii too)...

if you don't want to spent 250,- than wait for the European release. i did so with the N64 Cube and now i do it with the Wii to and in the end it was worth every penny of it.

A: games always work

B: every thing is original

C: Imported games are often cheaper

D: It is legal

E: No worry if that the console dies thanks to a modchip

F: And no worry if there comes an update that does kill the modchip Wii

To me enough reason to spent 150,- (if you look on Ebay) for a second hand Wii from the US or JP.

good update i updated it at 12:00 pm i did not notice the changes at first but i found them out 1 by 1

if you don't want to spent 250,- than wait for the European release. i did so with the N64 Cube and now i do it with the Wii to and in the end it was worth every penny of it.
Problem is when NoE fails (more often than it should) and doesn't publish the darn games (or puts them out of print making them darn rare, and expensive); for example Baten Kaitos Origins that I'm playing through right now (great game btw) was published by Nintendo in Japan and US... but there wasn't a European release, what was I supposed to do? I'd buy a European version, but I can't buy something that doesn't exist.

I don't have that many US games, only the ones that didn't come out here, and I use my cube to play them, so freeloader still works for me, yet I'm pissed, because they block us a way to buy software that isn't on sale here without giving me a way out. It's their fault that we had to import in the first place.

Problem is when NoE fails (more often than it should) and doesn't publish the darn games (or puts them out of print making them darn rare, and expensive); for example Baten Kaitos Origins that I'm playing through right now (great game btw) was published by Nintendo in Japan and US... but there wasn't a European release, what was I supposed to do? I'd buy a European version, but I can't buy something that doesn't exist.

I don't have that many US games, only the ones that didn't come out here, and I use my cube to play them, so freeloader still works for me, yet I'm pissed, because they block us a way to buy software that isn't on sale here without giving me a way out. It's their fault that we had to import in the first place.

agree completely, still need to buy that game

Excellent post Pedro, well said.

If compaines arent going to give us their full roster of games then people will import. I have around 10-15 Cube games that didnt get a release over in this country and if the Wii had a Freeloader then I would no doubt be importing some US games aswell due to the time we have to wait. Trauma Centre is a fine example of that as I just got my copy today and if you check out that thread you will see that they still butchered the translation despite getting delayed for like 8 months.

Also the Japanese Naruto games didn't get released here and won't get (only some special version that are not the Japanese ones - different story e.g.)... As well as Baten Kaitos Origins...

So therefore I would need a US-Wii (or Cube) for Baten Kaitos Origins... One for the Japanese Naruto-Games (if I would want to play them) and an Europe one for my regular games that came out in Europe (of course only if the delay between US and Europe Version isn't too high)...

So you suggest I buy three Wiis ? Where I should only need one ?

Not to mention how expensive that is... And eBay doesn't really count... For once they are mostly used and so on (at least if the "only" cost 150 € which is still to much if I need two more of them)...

Although I admit that I at least thought of it already but I don't think it will happen... Just to expensive...

Also: Modchips themselves normally can't get detected... But you might find ways to block the Wii to start up if it is active by doing something the chip doesn't expect (but it could be fixed by a firmware update of the modchip)... Microsoft only detects modified firmwares on DVD drives which is a bit different...

I am still currently hoping for a FreeLoader UNTIL I really need it... mostly only happens if a game doesn't come out here that I want (like Baten Kaitos Origins)...

Or like many "Tales of" games never made it to Europe (well most of them if you look at it)... I just hope that Tales of Symphonia 2 will make it to Europe (I am not that sure about it because it is a "Tales of" game although I guess "Tales of Symphonia" did well in Europe so I guess it will but who really knows yet?)

like i said in the end it was more than worth it buying a US/JP N64, Cube and Wii.

As for region free or importing games i am NOT against that. because the developers still get there money and no body is going to lose there job about that.

Modchipping is something else because its part of an e legal process of making copied games possible and also supporting the developers of the modchip and encouraging them in making more. and it is THAT part i am strongly against!

i rest my case.

this has to do with "i do not like to see my friends losing there jobs and i would like to see other friends get a job in the games industry."

o and i forgot to tell one more important thing. every time you buy a mod chip you support the developers of it meening the will get more money and more ways to do more damage.

If you like it and think it is worth buying, then buy it...I agree...

But the above comments are very one sided from my pov because I like technology, gaming and freedom (along with the education that comes with that freedom).

Because someone creates a working mod-chip or exploit does not necessarily mean they are 'doing damage'. For the homebrew crowd mentioned previously, it is their way of learning to code for a device and freely distribute that code to a wider audience (Believe it or not, not everyone needs to do a degree in games programming to be able to enter the games industry), the homebrewer/bedroom programmer on the DS/GC/DC/XBox today may be a games creating god tomorrow.

Also I dont agree with any technology manufacturer deciding that once they have made their slice of profit from something like online gaming or a console that it should just be left to rot. If someone has a means to keep something alive (as a loose example lets say a Phantasy Star online Server for the GC), then where is the harm in a system being cracked wide open and people learning it free of charge....?

I would say by not purchasing a mod chip you are denying the 'underground' of these things, but I know better than that. There will always be someone out there ready up to the challenge.

If you like it and think it is worth buying, then buy it...I agree...

But the above comments are very one sided from my pov because I like technology, gaming and freedom (along with the education that comes with that freedom).

Because someone creates a working mod-chip or exploit does not necessarily mean they are 'doing damage'. For the homebrew crowd mentioned previously, it is their way of learning to code for a device and freely distribute that code to a wider audience (Believe it or not, not everyone needs to do a degree in games programming to be able to enter the games industry), the homebrewer/bedroom programmer on the DS/GC/DC/XBox today may be a games creating god tomorrow.

Also I dont agree with any technology manufacturer deciding that once they have made their slice of profit from something like online gaming or a console that it should just be left to rot. If someone has a means to keep something alive (as a loose example lets say a Phantasy Star online Server for the GC), then where is the harm in a system being cracked wide open and people learning it free of charge....?

I would say by not purchasing a mod chip you are denying the 'underground' of these things, but I know better than that. There will always be someone out there ready up to the challenge.

Hmm that is a good point and i understand what you mean. but there are other ways to do the same right? there are legal ways to learn game programing as far as i know. Maybe we should make a topic about that?

Hmm that is a good point and i understand what you mean. but there are other ways to do the same right? there are legal ways to learn game programing as far as i know. Maybe we should make a topic about that?

It could be an interesting topic to debate and one that I am always willing and happy to participate in.

There are legal ways, but in most cases it would involve attending some kind of gaming developers course, for a lot of people that may be too much commitment (In the same way many people want to learn a musical instrument without committing to learning notation/scales etc by the usual and often boring conventional methods of teaching.

On topic though...I have not updated yet, but may well do so later this evening.

...who needs a Wii to play homebrew? In case no one's noticed, homebrew is alive and kicking on PC, and there are PC drivers for the Wii remote. You could make whatever the heck you wanted with the controller on PC for a open and well documented system instead of a closed system with no available documentation. Why does the software HAVE to run on Wii?

...who needs a Wii to play homebrew? In case no one's noticed, homebrew is alive and kicking on PC, and there are PC drivers for the Wii remote. You could make whatever the heck you wanted with the controller on PC for a open and well documented system instead of a closed system with no available documentation. Why does the software HAVE to run on Wii?

There are a ton of reasons not to use a PC for homebrew, especially if you arent up to pratting about with apps like glovePIE and bluetooth dongles and then getting it all to play together nicely. Plus homebrew that runs on the PC is 'PC homebrew'. Playing DS homebrew on the PC can be done, but it isnt the same.

Then there is that little point of leaving systems to rot as I stated above.

Technology is supposed to be about empowerment.

Just want to say i love the "ping" sound on the channel menu when you get a new message

Just want to say i love the "ping" sound on the channel menu when you get a new message

"I see you have the machine that goes....PING!"