NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario Kart Vs Smash Bros

As long as the Mario Kart they give us isn't completely rushed, I would be fine with that I guess. I still would prefer Brawl, and I don't like that the Americans will get a headstart on us in working out the intricacies of Brawl (online games need to come out as close as possible in all regions imo, to create a more even online play*). But I would suck it up and accept it. Alot of games coming out this winter, and MK will certainly not last as long as Brawl, so all the more time for other games first, right?

(*Also, if the Mario Strikers is to be of any guide, that won't matter, actually)

I would prefer Smash Bros a lot more than Mario Kart. I'm really not happy about this news as I was hoping to see Smash in 2007.

Okay lets do that:

Nintendo 64:

Mario Kart: 8.47 Million Sales

Smash Bros: 4.89 Million Sales

Gamecube:

Smash Bros: 6 Million Sales

Mario Kart: 3.5 Million Sales

And while we're at it:

Mario Kart DS: 4.56 Million Sales, interestingly I found when researching this that this game sold better in Europe than in the US, that may be the reason behind putting Mario Kart in Europe first as compensation.

(wikipedia ftw)

Whoa, MK on the Gamecube really did poorly in comparison to the 64 version. I didn't think the difference was really THAT great. Christ.

I also didn't know the DS version sold better in Europe. That's pretty neat stuff. Well played. :)

I would be so glad if this rumour was true as I have really been looking forward to getting a taste of MarioKart on the Wii. It is just one of those games that I look out for on each Nintendo console.

Someone mentioned Excite Truck controls, but I would have to say I've been thinking all along that it should be a remote/nunchuck set-up with using the remote to physically throw bananas/bombs whilst pointing at the screen to fire green/red shells. The nunchuck's analogue stick could obviously be used to steer and perhaps nudging/shaking it when close to an opponent could be used to steal a weapon by barging into them or to knock them into a carefully placed banana or off the edge of the track.

Hopefully the game won't rely too much on luck either, something which frustrates me in some games, and I definitely hope snaking isn't possible as that would ruin any prospect of online play.

If Nintendo stripped off all the weapons in the races, and only kept them in the battles... then maybe... lol, I'm only kidding, anyhow, I normally wouldn't care much about any of the games, but after seeing the Z:PH commercial with that detailed Link, I got a feeling that the graphics in MK Wii will be amazing, but I don't know. I hope they will have ExciteTruck controls as an option though, but MK will probably be great, but yeah, as someone mentioned... the blue shell, man, that's annoying, lol

BTW, as for Brawl, I mean, if it has Q Entertainment somewhere there in the blood veins, then that game will probably be awesome as well, I don't know the name of the guy heading the production of that title, but I have good faith in him, he has a good sense of style, and yeah.. Meteos has a very funny style.. anyhow, enough of me rambling.. :P

I would be so glad if this rumour was true as I have really been looking forward to getting a taste of MarioKart on the Wii. It is just one of those games that I look out for on each Nintendo console.

Someone mentioned Excite Truck controls, but I would have to say I've been thinking all along that it should be a remote/nunchuck set-up with using the remote to physically throw bananas/bombs whilst pointing at the screen to fire green/red shells. The nunchuck's analogue stick could obviously be used to steer and perhaps nudging/shaking it when close to an opponent could be used to steal a weapon by barging into them or to knock them into a carefully placed banana or off the edge of the track.

Hopefully the game won't rely too much on luck either, something which frustrates me in some games, and I definitely hope snaking isn't possible as that would ruin any prospect of online play.

Sorry, read your post after I had posted, so... but great idea with the throwing motion for weapons, yeah, that's better than ExciteTruck controls, definitely

EDIT: I bet a 100 bucks on that the game will have 2 player co-op as in the gc version, and one steering with the remote, and the other throwing weapons with the remote, but we'll see.. good post nando, great idea!

I would go for smash bro's as it's a more involving game than Mario Kart.

I hope MK is revamped from last time though, make it faster and more interesting. No doubt the missions will be in it from the DS so thats something to look forward to.

And to all those that are saying "Great we get a game before the US" should think about what they are saying.

The US is getting a timed release of Smash Bro's so nobody is 1up here, we're one step forward and one step back this doesn't herald a new wave of greater european-nintendo releationship.

The main reasoning for this I believe is to seperate the big hitters. People don't have to decide Mario Kart or Smash Bro's like this forum where it seems nearly 50-50. Now at the end of the year everybody will either get MK or SB with no need for a tough decision.

To be honest I still think Europe are getting the shit end of the stick. Maybe because Nintendo see Smash as their big seller and want to make sure all the Americans are buying it at the Christmas period instead of hoping us fickle Europeans will.

To be honest I'm not really all that bothered. The Wii is crying out for 1st party single player adventures, so out of the big 3 I'm glad it's Smash Bros that is going to slip and if it means getting Mario Kart then that can't be a bad thing. Just gives us the great refinement of Mario Kart DS with new tracks, a better online system (which would be expected seem as MKDS was an early online title so its system is only basic) and we are away...

Smash Bros would be much better, but it isn't as bad since we get something in return. I hope they put a Double Dash online mode.

Nintendo of Europe: "Like, its not like releasing a game earlier would result in more sales anyway. Tee hee."

Just gives us the great refinement of Mario Kart DS with new tracks, a better online system

It also could do with a bit of speed, and decent AI

I don't want it so it's possible to easily beat the hardest difficulty when half asleep like MKDS.

It also could do with a bit of speed, and decent AI

I don't want it so it's possible to easily beat the hardest difficulty when half asleep like MKDS.

But then all the Mario Karts apart from the original have been like that IMO.

I'm just hoping it's relatively gimmick free, DD was crap by MK standards but better still than MK64.

Smash Bros shits all over Mario Kart. There's not even remotely any competition.

Smash Bros shits all over Mario Kart. There's not even remotely any competition.

Well said. This man speaks the truth.

Even though I think Mario kart needs improvment I Could never stand the smash series mainly because i played the whole thing on my own...But online option should help the new one for me.. I dont know

I'll say mario kart for now

Love both franchises, but I definitely prefer Mario Kart to Smash Bros.

So yeah I'd be very happy if we do get MK this year. Hopefully Nintendo have made it more like the original / DS and less like Double Dash.

Guess we'll know in a few days! :yay:

They should really hurry up and get the SNES version on the VC too.

Well if this turns out to be true at least they're trying to please us Europeans. I am disappointed though that those yanks will get ahead of us though.

I don't really care about Smash Bros. Yes, I own Melee and yes, I've played it a lot. I just don't see it as amazing game as everybody praises. It's really boring to play alone and although multiplayer is fun it's nothing compared to Mario Kart multiplayer. When I play with my friends, we play Mario Kart Double Dash a lot more than Melee. Mario Kart DS was totally awesome and I played it at least for 100 hours. Mario Kart Wii is the most anticipated Wii Game for me besides Mario Galaxy and Metroid Corruption.

If this rumour turns out to be true, I'll be very pleased.

I'd like to know this source. Master Tim, I've seen him around recently. Fired!

MarioKart is definitely my prefered choice, Smash Bros is good but i am a racing game fan!

Anyway, there is no need to choose, have you not seen the MarioKart fighting arena on Smash Bros Brawl? (lol i know just a joke of course that arena is not in anyway a bridge between the type genres... just adding that to make sure i don't have to wear this flame proof suit! lol)

Give me Mario Kart anyday.

I have never seen the attraction of Smash Bros and have never understood the amount of praise that the previous two games received. I seem to remember that Cube magazine gave Melee a less than favourable review and never heard the last of it. I was one that happened to agree with their verdict.

Mario Kart , despite failing to live up to the SNES original the sequels still gave me a fair amount of enjoyment but lets hope that Nintendo can reverse the decline in the franchise.

Badly said. This man tells lies. :laughing:

I prefer Mario Kart. :)