N-Europe

Explosion at Glasgow Airport

gmac

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there wasn't a bomb involved in 9/11/01 and that was considered to be one of the biggest terrorist attacks in history

It ain't exactly the same. Someone inside a flaming car, might not be able to control it, and crash against something. While 2 planes consecutively crashing against the two tallest buildings in the world is a clear attack.

so far what I can piece together from the news reports

2 men rammed a car into the terminal building

when stuck they then revved the engine until it caught fire

one of the men then got petrol and poured it over the car and himself and then he caught fire

upon leaving the vehicle the man who was on fire was put out and arrested as well as his accomplice

gas cylinders were removed from the back of the Jeep prior to it's petrol tank exploding (not 100% sure on this part)

Glasgow Airport has been shut now for 6 hours

all traffic has been stopped from entering Edinburgh airport

It ain't exactly the same. Someone inside a flaming car, might not be able to control it, and crash against something. While 2 planes consecutively crashing against the two tallest buildings in the world is a clear attack.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,2115693,00.html

and

The United Kingdom defined acts of terrorism in the Terrorism Act 2000 as the use of threat of action where:

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),

(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and

© the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

(2) Action falls within this subsection if it

(a) involves serious violence against a person,

(b) involves serious damage to property,

© endangers a person’s life, other than that of the person committing the action,

(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public or

(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.

so far what I can piece together from the news reports

2 men rammed a car into the terminal building

when stuck they then revved the engine until it caught fire

one of the men then got petrol and poured it over the car and himself and then he caught fire

upon leaving the vehicle the man who was on fire was put out and arrested as well as his accomplice

gas cylinders were removed from the back of the Jeep prior to it's petrol tank exploding (not 100% sure on this part)

Glasgow Airport has been shut now for 6 hours

all traffic has been stopped from entering Edinburgh airport

not quite the car was already burning from what i've heard

also shino: if they started pooring gas on a burning car that was crashed into a building i think its a terrorist attack and not an accident

Live coverage of the Police News Conference coverage here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/livenewsevents#

Police News Conference:

Police conference : no intelligence that Scotland was going to be attacked.

Man is critical - severe burns. A suspect device was found on his person and the hospital was partly evacuated until device was made safe.

Vehicle is in highly unstable condition and is still at airport. Police have not approached it. They do not know if anyone else was or is still in the vehicle. Airport has been evacuated and passengers still on plane for safety.

The vehicle contained inflammable materials. It was very badly destroyed, but will undergo forensic testing. Police have not approached the vehicle.

We believe that the Glasgow incident was linked to that of London and we confirm it's a terrorist act.

Asking public to be extremely vigilant at this time. Urge anyone with info or who was in the area at the time to come forward. Anxious to speak to the 20 or 30 people standing outside the airport at time.

This is one of our busiest weeks of our holiday season.

Public safety will always come first.

Minority communities have assisted throughout the day and given the police very useful advice. People who harrass minority communities will not be tolerated.

Police Incident Room : 0800 056 0944

Members of the public have been phoning in and reporting suspicious packages, etc. as a result of Glasgow.

Live coverage of the Police News Conference coverage here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/livenewsevents#

Police News Conference:

Police conference : no intelligence that Scotland was going to be attacked.

Man is critical - severe burns. A suspect device was found on his person and the hospital was partly evacuated until device was made safe.

Vehicle is in highly unstable condition and is still at airport. Police have not approached it. They do not know if anyone else was or is still in the vehicle. Airport has been evacuated and passengers still on plane for safety.

The vehicle contained inflammable materials. It was very badly destroyed, but will undergo forensic testing. Police have not approached the vehicle.

We believe that the Glasgow incident was linked to that of London and we confirm it's a terrorist act.

Asking public to be extremely vigilant at this time. Urge anyone with info or who was in the area at the time to come forward. Anxious to speak to the 20 or 30 people standing outside the airport at time.

This is one of our busiest weeks of our holiday season.

Public safety will always come first.

Minority communities have assisted throughout the day and given the police very useful advice. People who harrass minority communities will not be tolerated.

Police Incident Room : 0800 056 0944

Members of the public have been phoning in and reporting suspicious packages, etc. as a result of Glasgow.

I am convinced. I don't trust the media that much, specially when its incoherent and when its right after the event. The police as confirmed and thats all I need.

also shino: if they started pooring gas on a burning car that was crashed into a building i think its a terrorist attack and not an accident

Not every news agency was saying that, even witnesses said they knocked the flaming man right after he came out of the car.

Why does this shit always go down before I go on holiday. 2 years back when 7/7 happened, I went on holiday on the 18th. Now the events of the last two days, 10 days before I go on holiday. I hate flying as it is, I'll be absolutely shitting my pants now.

'Suspect device' has caused a whole hospital to be evacuated at the moment. If ramming a flaming fucking jeep into an airport with the intent to blow shit up how does it not count as a terrorist attack?

And what's with all these "why Glasgow" comments? Glasgows the most populated city in Scotland. If it's important enough to be bombed by Germans why not terrorists?

You're all talking about it like it's some backwater hick town that doesn't matter, people I know could have been killed in that so to me it's more important than bombing london could ever be.

P.s. apparently the guys in London didn't have bombs either, "using two Mercedes packed with petrol, nails and 'patio gas' canisters."

Same setup.

Or just that they missed the last ones and are panicking in the Home Office (or whatever it's called).

It's not set by The Home Office. The threat level is set by JTAC which is part of the Security Service (MI5).

FFS. Load of fucking bull shit.

Doesnt help the racism situation in this country at all either.

The people who arnt helping are the bloody Iranians. All this anti-british stuff like killing the guy who got knighted, and mickey mouse isnt really very nice

My Aunt and Uncle have been stuck on a plane on the tarmac at the terminal building since 3 o'clock today :(

The guy who gave me a lift back today told me about someone in exactly the same situation. In the plane for 9 hours, then taken to a hotel for the night and still hasn't flown out.

The airport re-opened this morning but they had a massive back-log of flights and had to cancel loads, including my flight to Glasgow... twice. They also cancelled the next BMI flight after that but we had given up by that point and booked onto another one.