NEurope
gmac

Explosion at Glasgow Airport

Shit, it was expected really, maybe yesturday was a distraction?

Also, they say this is "NOt a national security threat"

But yesturday was?

Its not an 'explosion' par say. The car was set on fire then went into the building

more reports are suggesting it exploded after hitting the terminal building, but it was driven into the terminal whilst on fire

WTF is with bombs this week? Is not safe to go out these days.

But the question is, why Glasgow?

WTF is with bombs this week? Is not safe to go out these days.

But the question is, why Glasgow?

this is the first weekend of the School holidays in Scotland, so it would be really busy at the airport

Mobile phone footage here.

It was a car driven into the terminal building and I understand it burst into flames after it crashed into the wall.

I can swear I just heard calza on bbc news

:blank:

When?

My parents were going across the motorway at around the same time but probably missed it.

isnt the queen in glasgow today? remember early this morning on news saying shes up in scotland doing something

My parents just told me this, OMG it's horrible!! I'm going to watch the news in a few minutes to see more on this.

What the hell is the world coming to? Why all this bomb the hell out of everything crap!? First London, and now this!! And I'm off to London in a few weeks too, this certainly will add a lot of paranoia to my trip...

What the hell is the world coming to? Why all this bomb the hell out of everything crap!? First London, and now this!! And I'm off to London in a few weeks too, this certainly will add a lot of paranoia to my trip...

I'm going next week... I know the feeling.

Two people are being held after a burning Jeep was rammed through the terminal building at Glasgow airport.

Gordon Brown is to chair a COBRA emergency meeting this evening in response to the terror strike, which came after two car bombs were found in London.

Holidaymakers reported hearing a series of loud "bangs" and saw two men - one of whom was on fire - emerge from the vehicle.

The man on fire was knocked down by a member of the public before he was arrested by police.

There are reports of several injuries. The man on fire was taken to Royal Alexandra Hospital in Glasgow. His accomplice is at nearby Govan police station.

It came as Scotland's third Parliament was formally inaugurated by the Queen. The foiled bomb attacks in London came a day after Gordon Brown was made PM.

Airports in the US are on high alert following the attack.

The Jeep Cherokee was being driven at around 30mph when it smashed into a glass door at Terminal One of the airport, the busiest in Scotland.

Hundreds of shocked holidaymakers were in the area at the time, and witnesses said some of them removed gas cylinders from the jeep before it caught fire.

There are reports the occupants - described as Asian males - were trying to pour petrol on the flames.

Scott Gleeson said he saw the jeep speed up and swerve towards the terminal at an angle to hit the door.

"They were obviously trying to get through to cause as much damage as possible," he said.

Holidaymaker Stephen Clarkson said he knocked one of the men to the floor before police intervened.

He said: "There was an Asian male. He was lying on the floor and he was on fire, the Jeep was on fire as well.

"The fellow got up and started fighting with police. I managed to knock the Asian fellow to the ground and four police officers got on top of him."

He added: "His whole body was on fire. He was quite a big fellow and was disorientated otherwise I wouldn't have been able to knock him down."

James Edgar told Sky News: "There was a lot of anger - if the crowds had got hold of this gentleman it would have been the end of him."

The airport has been closed and holidaymakers are being sheltered at nearby buildings.

I've highlighted some key points in bold.

My parents just told me this, OMG it's horrible!! I'm going to watch the news in a few minutes to see more on this.

Isn't that the whole point and aim of these terrorist actions though?! If you die, you die, no point living your life in fear of some stupid chance you'll die in a terrorist act when your more likely to die walking down the street.

Are we sure this is a terrorist attack? Was there any kind of bomb with it?

Last time I checked it wasnt being treated as a terrorist attack, but now Im not so sure.

This is a surprise. Never would have thought Glasgow to come under attack if it was by terrorists.

No bomb, just 2 guys driving a buring landrover into the building.

On the news all there is now is "the devastation the COULD have happened IF there was a bomb" etc.

Its so annoying! There wasn't one so stop goiing on about it, the news annoys me.

James Edgar told Sky News: "There was a lot of anger - if the crowds had got hold of this gentleman it would have been the end of him."

Too right! If there is one city you don't want to mess with it's Glasgow. He'd have been torn to pieces. Honestly this just sounds like a couple of demented idiots who wanted to "martyr" themselves but just didn't have the intelligence to come up with a bomb.

The "I beat down the Asian fellow" quote had me laughing. :heh: BUT I can guarantee there will be someone 'representing the Muslim community' going onto GMTV on Monday and saying the whole thing is racist, just like 7/7 and other terrorist attacks and threats.