NEurope

You'll still be able to get the iPhone, but it will have to be handset only. You'll be looking at the full retail price of around £500

that's not neccesarily true though, in the US you can only get it through a contract, no handset only option, plus it seems you have to activate it through iTunes as well which as far as I can tell also requires a contract to do

that's not neccesarily true though, in the US you can only get it through a contract, no handset only option, plus it seems you have to activate it through iTunes as well which as far as I can tell also requires a contract to do

And there isn't a way of changing out your SIM card without voiding the warranty i think.

I'd like to predict a handset only version of the iPhone will be £350. No more. Not when you can buy a macbook for a couple of hundred more.

I'd like to predict a handset only version of the iPhone will be £350. No more. Not when you can buy a macbook for a couple of hundred more.

I'd predict having to pay £300 ish in addition to the 2 year contract-18 months at least- and it'll be locked into one network. The networks aren't stupid enough to see how much the exclusivity is worth.

I'd predict having to pay £300 ish in addition to the 2 year contract-18 months at least- and it'll be locked into one network. The networks aren't stupid enough to see how much the exclusivity is worth.

Looks like you could be right , those Vodafone exclusive carrier talks are doing the rounds again.

Linkage

Personally, I am already getting fed up with all the hype , every single one of my mac related RSS feeds are bombarded with iphone stuff.

yeah it'll be better when it's actually out and they can go back to work on my 6g iPod ;)

iPhone is out and engadget have a major rumor-which is probably bollocks but we'll see . . .

Oh man, here we go. Another rumor about that 3G European iPhone. This time, the source is Guy Kewney of Newswireless who, until recently, doubled as eWeek.com's European wireless editor -- i.e., he's the real deal. As the story goes, Apple is set to announce a four-way deal: Vodafone and T-Mobile on the carrier front with Carphone Warehouse out in front as the MVNO. Hmmm, well, this kind of deal would certainly provide Apple's upstart mobile phone with far broader coverage than a Vodafone exclusive could muster while providing a solid brick-and-mortar base on a continent (mostly) void of Apple stores. Best of all for Europeans, the announcement expected on Monday will be 3G. That's right, while you're queuing up for EDGE data, Europeans might be unwrapping an HSDPA iPhone in a 4-way press release. Here's the rub, bub: do you really think Apple will provide Europe a 3G iPhone before the end of the year and not release it in the US at the same time? Now the tough choice: stand in line for your 2.5G iPhone or wait and see what happens on Monday with this rumor (and we repeat, it's just rumor at this point). Decisions, decisions.

hmmmmm, even if it's just confirmation of some kind of deal, if anything, on monday, it'll be a great sign that it's still going to hit this year.

K, REALLY, off topic but...

There is a promotion in The Orange Store where you get a free DS Lite if you buy a phone on a monthly contract by the 30th.....ummmm, today!

Wow, the iPhone looks really, really appealing right now. But it doesn't work in Unalaska.:(

Want a better phone. Dunno whether to go for an Orange student contract which is £19 per month (50 mins/500 texts) and get either the Sony Ericsson K800i or Nokia N73.

That or buy a new headset (O2 have the Samsung D900i for £110 but will look around tomorrow for better offers) and get the O2 online sim which, if you top up £15 a month, gives you 200 minutes and 400 texts.

At the moment I have the O2 genie sim which I top up £10 per month and get 300 free texts which I never use (except this month but that was special).

DO NOT BUY A N73!!!!

Worst phone i have ever had, and everyone else i know who has had one has had problems with it-plus it has an annoying flashing service light i don't know how to turn off!

The componets in the iPhone cost around $200, it sells for $500-$600.

Steve Jobs is a dick.

Steve Jobs is a dick.

Makes sense considering the software which has been put into it, and the fact they'll ONLY make money off of the sale of the handsets-not through subsidies from the carrier like every other phone out there.

It's similar to the fact they make nothing-essentially-from iTunes, and get their income from the iPod.

Nintendo also charge more than their hardware cost to make but no one's really pissing and moaning about it.

And if you don't want one or can't afford it, don't get it. Wait for a couple years for the other cheaper versions to come out much like with the iPod.

At then end of the day it's a business-ie they need to make money.

Steve Jobs is a dick.

As is life. Every company does it. Not saying its right, its just common.

Oh and thanks Tak for the advice.

What it's a $300+ gap, Nintendo will maybe make a max of say £50/60 on the DS and maybe £70 on the Wii.

The fact that they are charging an extra $100 for the 8GB when it only costs an extra $20 to make.

What it's a $300+ gap, Nintendo will maybe make a max of say £50/60 on the DS and maybe £70 on the Wii.

The fact that they are charging an extra $100 for the 8GB when it only costs an extra $20 to make.

Gap and percent are different things though.

$300 of $500 is 60%

Going on your guessing (unless it is actual but it seemed the "maybe" was guess work): DS = 50/60% and Wii = 38%

Or for a real example I can think of. Game make 'Essential Packs' for the DS. Costs £2 to make, £12 to sell. So thats 80% (if my maths is right, doubt it on that one. My brain is frazzled).

As I say, it happens a lot when you look at the percent it costs to make a product to what it costs to sell (because lets not forget a percent of what it earns has to go to advertising, retail etc)

Everyone knows they make most of their money off their software NOT the hardware. Apple ONLY have the hardware. And the amount of R&D and work has gone into not only designing it, but also converting OS X, getting the multi-touch interface working as it should, incorporating all it's functions and building the UI-it helps to justify the price. Also in America it's not even the most expensive smart phone out there-i know of Nokias that cost more.

Everyone knows they make most of their money off their software NOT the hardware. Apple ONLY have the hardware. And the amount of R&D and work has gone into not only designing it, but also converting OS X, getting the multi-touch interface working as it should, incorporating all it's functions and building the UI-it helps to justify the price. Also in America it's not even the most expensive smart phone out there-i know of Nokias that cost more.

What? Apple do make their money it's called iTunes. Do you think they just let the recording company get the 79p from every song?

Then there is .Mac, professional software like Shake, Final Cut etc, iLife and iWork. And then there is also OS X.

Wow I guess they must only have hardware :blank:

Steve Jobs is a dick.

Yeah, it's called business.

Happens with just about every product ever made. Very few exceptions. There's also that research thing too, Apple spent one hell of a lot of money on developing the product.

The disk for Vista costs about 2p yet it sells for £100+. Bill Gates is a dick.

What? Apple do make their money it's called iTunes. Do you think they just let the recording company get the 79p from every song?

Then there is .Mac, professional software like Shake, Final Cut etc, iLife and iWork. And then there is also OS X.

Wow I guess they must only have hardware :blank:

I was referring to their "Consumer Electronics" Not their software or computer businesses. Try and keep up.

Apple make next to nothing off iTunes, they make practically nothing from songs, and a little bit more from films in America. iTunes isn't a major revenue stream, the iPod is.

Anyway, they need to make money, and they do so by making great software and fucking gorgeous hardware.

You can either get the iPhone or not. Fin.