Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2007/2008

flameboy

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gerrard played great in the 2nd half, he made some excellent passes, but he shouldn't have been man of the match though.

moogleviper: it was a friendly so subs aren't always brought on to change the game, it's just for the manager to get a look at them in a competitive match instead of training.

i am relatively pleased, as it was a fairly good performance overall.

also, it's bentley, not bendtley, he doesn't play for arsenal (anymore).

gerrard played great in the 2nd half, he made some excellent passes, but he shouldn't have been man of the match though.

moogleviper: it was a friendly so subs aren't always brought on to change the game, it's just for the manager to get a look at them in a competitive match instead of training.

i am relatively pleased, as it was a fairly good performance overall.

also, it's bentley, not bendtley, he doesn't play for arsenal (anymore).

Oh sorry Bentley.

I know it was to get a feel for things. But I still think he could have made better use of his subs. I think Woodgate should have come on for Upson. And I think he should have tried Owen.

I'm not sure what's more annoying. Long hopeful balls or playing it back to the defence. They are two things that Capello needs to stamp out.

But by far the most irritating people of that match were Motson and Lawrenceson. They talk complete bullshit. Near the start of the game they said that Bendtley was wearing the Beckham shirt. Later Motson said something about Bendtley and Mark said "Yeah in Hollywood. Oh wait wrong person." Then when they said that there were 84000 people there Motson said, "I think a lot of people thought that Beckham would be getting his 100th cap."

First paragraph I find completely silly. Firstly a long hoof up the pitch every now and again can be rewarding. Understandably not every attack should be a punt, the team should be playing good football, which they didn't. Secondly you can't say we need stop passing back to defenders, because again its a tie in to good football, we've got to be able to move the ball about and everyone needs to comfortable. When the ball goes back to the defence, it allows the forwards to move about and an attack can be crafted.

Second paragraph completely agree. Those two nobs piss me off. Rooney can have a shit game and Motson still has a boner over him. Every time he screams his name I cringe.

First paragraph I find completely silly. Firstly a long hoof up the pitch every now and again can be rewarding. Understandably not every attack should be a punt, the team should be playing good football, which they didn't. Secondly you can't say we need stop passing back to defenders, because again its a tie in to good football, we've got to be able to move the ball about and everyone needs to comfortable. When the ball goes back to the defence, it allows the forwards to move about and an attack can be crafted.

But nothing ever comes of the long balls. And it is almost every attack.

And yeah passing back to the defence is good when it gives you time to reorganise your team and set up an attack. But that's not what happened with England. The passing was terrible. And as soon as an opponent came at an English player they started wetting themselves. It was only maybe Rooney and Bentley that actually went into challenges and didn't keep pulling out.

When top class teams pass it around at the back they set up their offence. But England don't do that they just pass it straight back as soon as they get into trouble and then the defence does a shite ball upfield and they're back on the defence again. What's the point in that? They should be taking players on and having a crack. Not wasting possesion with hopeful long balls. I think the only sensible thing Motson has ever said is when he said that it doesn't matter how much possesion you have it's what you do with it. And England waste their possesion.

Anyway I'm off to bed now. I'll see you all tomorrow. Goodnight. Sweet dreams. xxx

:D

What impressed me about England is their endurance. There was a spot in the first half where the fans started to get restless, but they stuck at it and four or five passes later there was an attempt on goal.

A few months ago, four or five passes and the ball would have been misplaced and out for a throwing. They seem a lot stronger mentally.

Bentley (sp?) had a great game, I thought. Looked comfortable where he was playing, as well. I thought Jenas looked as good as I have ever seen him. Joe Cole was on superb form, and with him on the left and Bentley on the right, England look dangerous.

Only problem for me was upfront. I wouldn't have played Rooney as a lone striker, but then looking at England's possible combinations up front, I don't think there are that many options, tbh.

Yeah Motson fucking annoyed me no end said to my dad that it must surely be time for him to retire. I cannot believe he said that 84,000 people turned up because when they bought the tickets they thought Beckham might get his 100th Cap... What a joke!

They went because it's England and the start of a new era and our first international of the new year, not to see some a desperate jet lagged man, stumble around the pitch and take the odd free kick!

England did play well in stops and starts. There are plenty of positive points to take from it, although I to have concerns over Rooney being up front alone he is not scoring enough goals. He should still be in the team because of what he offers in his attacking and link up player but we need a more out and out goal scorer as our main attacking outlet...who that will though is anyones guess.

So, Man Utd vs Man City this weekend - the main talking point is the minute's silence to be held before the game to remember the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. After last night's silence was marred due to a minority of idiotic "fans", what do you think the chances are of it being spoiled at the weekend?

I'm a Bolton fan, and we were at Old Trafford 10 years ago for the 40th anniversary of the tragedy where there was also a minute's silence. We behaved impeccably and we hate Man United just as much as Man City fans.

Hope the City fans can show their class and not bring petty footballing differences into such a tradegy.

So, Man Utd vs Man City this weekend - the main talking point is the minute's silence to be held before the game to remember the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. After last night's silence was marred due to a minority of idiotic "fans", what do you think the chances are of it being spoiled at the weekend?

I'm a Bolton fan, and we were at Old Trafford 10 years ago for the 40th anniversary of the tragedy where there was also a minute's silence. We behaved impeccably and we hate Man United just as much as Man City fans.

Hope the City fans can show their class and not bring petty footballing differences into such a tradegy.

The fact that a former Manchester City player was also killed in the crash surely means they should respect the minutes silence. If they don't then I will lose all respect for them!

Rooneys been playing upfront on his own all season for United and has done perfectly well.

Yeah but Man U play a different form of football. Rooney gets a lot of support from Ronaldo and other players. With England they just hoof the ball up and expect him to get on the end of it. The best player for that would be Owen.

What the hell?? Premier League to consider staging matches in other countries in 2011!!

On SkySports News now

EDIT. With link

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3117424,00.html

Absolute joke. I even texted in to Sky Sports News to voice my concern.

I can't even begin to understand how it benefits anyone except the big wigs at the premier league, they get shit laods of money in their pockets and a few days in the sun.

The matches will be unfairly set up, no one wants an extra fixture against Man Utd in a country 20 hours flight away.

January is already a congested month, so putting in a fixture that requries lots of time to get their and to recouperate is ludicrous.

Did anybody hear about the leagua they were talking about setting up in europe. Like a different division for the top teams from Europe. Personally I think it would be a good idea. Let the top teams go and play in europe. Personally I think they are spoiling the Premiership.

What do you guys think?

Did anybody hear about the leagua they were talking about setting up in europe. Like a different division for the top teams from Europe. Personally I think it would be a good idea. Let the top teams go and play in europe. Personally I think they are spoiling the Premiership.

What do you guys think?

Piss off with that idea too. Why can't people just accept the league as it is, the only thing that needs to happen is a money cap, but that won't happen while the league itself wants to rinse every penny it can get.

Piss off with that idea too. Why can't people just accept the league as it is, the only thing that needs to happen is a money cap, but that won't happen while the league itself wants to rinse every penny it can get.

That's a bit harsh. I was only putting the idea out there.

There isn't going to be a money cap so why not let the bigger clubs play in the other league. It will give them more of a challenge, bring them more money and make the Premiership more even. The way I see it is better for both teams.

That's a bit harsh. I was only putting the idea out there.

There isn't going to be a money cap so why not let the bigger clubs play in the other league. It will give them more of a challenge, bring them more money and make the Premiership more even. The way I see it is better for both teams.

Your forgetting the main reason why the Premier League and football has become so brilliant, and it's not just you, the Premier League are doing it aswell. They're forgetting, the loyal fans.

I don't want Arsenal to play in a European super league, I don't want a league match in dubai. I want Arsenal to compete against English clubs, in the English league. So we have local and home pride. Champions League and UEFA Cup is there for Europe, and World Club Cup is for the rest of world.

Fuck money, Fuck the Premier League.

I didn't believe it when AntShimmin use to tout it, but Sky Sports and the Premier League could have ruined the beatufiul game.

the only reason the teams have voted in favour is for the money, they cannot seriously think this is for the good of the game

Can you imagine the league decider not being played in the UK?

would Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc bid to host their own teams game if that was happening?

Ive liked Bentley since the start of last season, I think he really is the closest thing we're going to get to the next Beckham. Though he is still pretty far from filling his boots.

I don't want to like Joe Cole, but he seems like one of the few England players who play direct stuff. Sometimes England can be too nicy-nicy and pass every time, once Joe makes a run usually something good happens, because it takes a man out of the game for a few seconds.

Upson was pretty bad though.

Im an MU fan but i usually despise W.Brown, however yesterdays performance was O.K, we still need Neville back though.

Rooney was close to being great. Its not quite falling for him but i bet it wont be long before he's banging them in again.

I think David James was a reasonable choice.

Am I the only person who thinks Owen Hargreaves is a ray of quality?

I haven't read through what people have said about the england match cos im too tired but yeah I was at wembley andmy thoughts are as follows.

We played ok, Rooney was slightly isolated up front on his own as the lone striker but I think the idea is that you use him or someone else like crouch and get speedy midfielders to run past like jenas and cole etc to link up play. In essence it works just look at Man United. Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Giggs all do this with Rooney and Tevez and it works. The thing is with England we dont have that many speedy midfielders that can do this so wether of not we can pull this formation off or not we shall see.

I think Capello needs to decide if he wants to build the team around Rooney which I think he will. It's just wether or not Rooney is the main striker or in actual fact one of the midfielders running past to support like a paul scholes.

I think Rooney is the only one worth a good praise from last night. The others didnt seem really up for it.

Brown was shocking however he has been playing well for United recently but he hasnt got the United players to help him out there and to be honest Richards should be well ahead of him for right back.

Upson did ok and I think worked well with Rio and will be a good backup centre back. You see Capello loves 1 centre back to be the one going forward to the ball making passes and linking with midfield ie Rio and the other centre back to sit back and make the tackles and mop up ie Terry or just like what upson was doing.

Other positives were the build play. Capello loves build up play even if it goes back to james and they are just passing around for 10 minutes. He would rather them do that than get over the half way line and try an impossible through ball into the box which is what we usually do. Im glad that was showing last night and although some of the crowd were frustrated and booed I think it's the way forward and I got no problem with that.

Im glad we got the win but it was very important what the score was really. It was nice seeing new players and a different system and after only a couple of days with the squad it looks quite promising so I hope we can build on it.

the only reason the teams have voted in favour is for the money, they cannot seriously think this is for the good of the game

Can you imagine the league decider not being played in the UK?

would Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc bid to host their own teams game if that was happening?

Thankfully nothing is final, and the clubs have only voted to view the proposal. I highly doubt the managers will enjoy it. Many people feel that the bigger clubs would love it because of the foreign revenue they could gain, but I'd reckon they'd be the ones who don't want the extra fixture and hassle of flying 20 hours to a random destination.

It would appear Niall Quinn and Gareth Southgate oppose the idea initally, I can only pray Arsene Wenger and Peter Hill-wood don't think this is clever. And that other clubs across the country oppose this lunacy. Hoping for some fan protests over the weekend, I was thinking of taking a banner to the Arsenal game on Monday.

My brother told me about these proposals earlier and i'm pretty outraged. I'm sure there will be many fans protesting over the weekend and many managers will likely be outraged at the prospect. It's also a dreaful thing for clubs who are struggling. What if it happened this season and if, hypothetically, Derby could stay in the Premiership if they won their last game. They could be drawn against Man Utd and end up having their hopes unfairly crushed.

If owners and the FA want the revenue so much then they could just organise tours in other territories during the summer - when no international games are going on of course. Although the games would not be competitive, it would still be a boon for them financially and the fans would jump at the chance to see "the best clubs in the world" playing in their home country.