NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2007/2008

It would be astonishing if both Man Utd and Chelsea lost their next game. Arsenal could still win if both Man Utd and Chelsea drew in their next league matches. What a final day of the season that would be. Villa and Everton fighting it out for fifth spot, three teams fighting it out for the title and a goal mouth scrap for the teams at the bottom.

This is the most exciting season in years, possibly the most exciting that I can remember.

Interesting comments regarding the Leeds points saga. I'm a Leeds fan and it seems very few people (myself included) can state exactly why Leeds were deducted 15 points.

We were deducted 10 points the season before for going into administration, and another 15 this season. That's 25 in total. Seems a little over the top. I believe the problem is that we are the first to break these certain "rules" and therefore no penalty has ever been given before. As far as I know Bournemouth and Luton have broken the same rules and should receive the same punishment, which may of course change depending on the ruling over the next couple of days.

I can't rightfully say whether we should get any points back. However, I think we will get some, 5 being most likely, which is just not enough to send us up in the automatic promotion places. I partly believe this as 5 points won't upset any other teams, whereas if we get 10+ I dread to think the backlash. The FL won't want any of that to deal with.

You aren't far wrong with your assumptions, but...(there's always a but!)...it's not that we were the first to break "these rules", as you put it, it's the fact that the FL punished us retrospectively after introducing new rules. How is that fair whatsoever? Retrospective punishment for a breaking a rule that did not exist at the time of breaking it...

As for the backlash you speak of, yup entirely possible. But if the likes of Donnington, Carlisle, Southend and Swansea proceed with a legal challenge to the FL if we do get 10+ points back aren;t they admitting to throwing some of their own matches and relying on Leeds being -15 at the end of the season? It's a minefield for the FL, an absolute quagmire. But it's their own doing. Leeds and the FL agreed for the arbitration decision to be binding, so whatever the outcome nobody can change it. There will be hell to pay either way.

What I would like to say is that my respect for Forest has been totally proven in this scenario as they are the only team ahead of us who haven't said a word about the "Leeds points saga". I hope they gain promotion with us, regardless of whether we get the points back or not.

As far as I know, Leeds got deducted 15 points because you went into administration after you had already been relegated thus the 10 point deduction for going into administration was effectively worthless. Boston United also did the same thing as you last season but they did not get deducted an extra 15 points instead they get relegated an extra league down.

That was my understanding of it, they rushed their administration so it wouldn't affect them the next season. Which is wrong. Luton who ever mentioned them done something completely different, their old Chairman was a dodgy **** and was paying agents and good knows who to get players.

The 15 points deduction had nothing to do with entering administration but rather how we exited it. We didn't follow the FL's preferred exiting strategy - being the first club in the history of Football to do so, due to impossible demands set by the FL and the British Taxman. Then, with fear of repeating myself, punished us after writing a new rule disallowing our exit stategy. Hardly fair to punish a club for something which wasn't illegal when they did it.

It's be like going back and fining every person who smoked in the pub prior to the bans being introduced.

Ludicrous.

You aren't far wrong with your assumptions, but...(there's always a but!)...it's not that we were the first to break "these rules", as you put it, it's the fact that the FL punished us retrospectively after introducing new rules. How is that fair whatsoever? Retrospective punishment for a breaking a rule that did not exist at the time of breaking it...

As for the backlash you speak of, yup entirely possible. But if the likes of Donnington, Carlisle, Southend and Swansea proceed with a legal challenge to the FL if we do get 10+ points back aren;t they admitting to throwing some of their own matches and relying on Leeds being -15 at the end of the season? It's a minefield for the FL, an absolute quagmire. But it's their own doing. Leeds and the FL agreed for the arbitration decision to be binding, so whatever the outcome nobody can change it. There will be hell to pay either way.

What I would like to say is that my respect for Forest has been totally proven in this scenario as they are the only team ahead of us who haven't said a word about the "Leeds points saga". I hope they gain promotion with us, regardless of whether we get the points back or not.

Didn't realise we were punished retrospectively, doesn't seem fair as you say. I also hope Forest go up. They do seem like the only team not to have threatened action, as Swansea, Doncaster, Carlisle and even Leyton Orient have. On another note it's quite funny how Swansea aren't allowed to have the championship trophy until the ruling!

Sky Sports News are aparantley reporting that Sven is about to leave Man City, joke of a club if thats true tbh.

The BBC is reporting Sven is to be sacked at the end of the season!

Yeah I seen that about Sven. I thought he'd been doing alright at Man City- they had a great first half of the season. It will be a strange decision if they do indeed ship him out.

And, come on you Barca tonight!

Hmm Man City did have a good first half, but have fallen apart since. Sven didn't have the greatest England reign and hasn't had the best time at Man City, but will they find a better manager if they let him go? If they want to progress and buy Ronaldinho (!) then they need a manager with reputation and experience.

Looking forward to Man Utd Barca, hope it's a good watch!

Watching the Man Utd v Barca match and we (utd) seem a bit nervous at the moment. Damnit im nervous!

Get in you fucking beauty! Trademark scholes cannon!

Half time and a Scholes shot is the only goal of the match, but Barcelona aren't just laying down and dieing. Next 45 minutes will be crucial.

EDIT: Man U are going to the finals.

Yes come on Man U!

Barca were poor..i swear only Henry got a shot on target. Brilliant defending. Shame I can't watch the final because i have a 2 physics exams AND a chemistry practical the next day........

To be honest, Barcelona were the better side over the 2 legs, but I suppose if you can't create an end product..

To be honest, Barcelona were the better side over the 2 legs, but I suppose if you can't create an end product..

Wait...

Barca were AWFUL tonight! They created one chance and that was when henry headed straight a Van Der Saar! United defended better and creating 3-4 great chances. On another day Park and nani would have done better.

Fucking A. Was so nervous watching that match. If we had lost, would have gone straight to bed. To all the people who dont have a team in this competition, who would you rather have Man Utd beat in the final?: peace:

So much for avoiding an all English final. I want Liverpool to win now since they won't be getting any silverware this year.

So much for avoiding an all English final. I want Liverpool to win now since they wo't be getting any silverware this year.

I don't like you ¬_¬

I'm an ex Man U supporter, Man U are Arsenals Rivals so I'll root for any other team, in this case Liverpool for the reason stated above.

Scholes had a pot shot and sliced one in... what a joke. ¬_¬

An all English final will be dire, and if its United v Chelsea I will have no interest in it whatsoever so come on the Pool!

I'm an ex Man U supporter, Man U are Arsenals Rivals so I'll root for any other team, in this case Liverpool for the reason stated above.

Please, do explain?

I am sooo happy right now, can't stop smiling! I think United deserved the win, Barcelona had loads of possession, which will be the same no matter who they're playing, but created fuck all. United had some great chances for a second and defended brilliantly.

Roll on Moscow!

wow, that was tense. The goal was awesome. I was so nervous I thought my fish n chips were gonna come back up lol.

As for people talking about possesion, you can have 805 of that, but if you can't create a finish, then what's the point?

ROLL ON MOSCOW!!!

Omg I'm elated at the moment, one because Manu have just gone through "Scholesey you legend!", but also because my footie team have just won a major relegation battle, 2-0.

One of the most intense games I've played in, specially under floodlights, pissing down, a really close game.

Immense...

^ Are you strirring?

Well done, Man U. I've always wanted to see an All-England final, but I've always felt it would end up being a boring match.

Man U were the first team I supported, but then I changed to Arsenal.

Tut tut. Team switching for the loss. No matter who the teams are. :nono: :nono: