N-Europe

Sony Laptop

i need a laptop for university... and i like htis one

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/3300171/Sony-Vaio-VGN-N21S-W-Notebook-Laptop/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

but is it good for money?

or does anyone else have any laptops in mind that could suit someone like me? lol

mind u - i dont want a mac computer...so dont suggest that

Get a Mac!

Hmm...seems a bit expensive for the spec. Same price as the Acer I got 2 years ago, this has more RAM but a worse processor and graphics card.

Only 2 USB ports is pretty lame these days

i dont care what type of laptop it is

just i know people who have had sonys and people who have had acers...

our computers in at school are so slow and so annoying and crash at random times

Acer's are fine as far as software is concerned, you get a very good machine for you're money. The thing you have to worry about is the casing and aftercare.

I've had the casing on my Acer Travelmate brake 4 times in 2 years, Acer are less than quick about fixing it too (takes an average of 6 weeks!)

Sony on the other hand are the complete opposite; they build very good laptops but the spec sucks for the cash.

Unless you want to play games on the thing i'd go somewhere in between, a HP or Toshiba would be a good bet.

If you want a Windows pc, Sonys are good, though a lot of my friends have had hardware related problems with the top spec vaio models. If you want and can afford a little over £600 look into a macbook maybe. I had a HP business laptop which died on me for some reason. If you do know nothing about computers maybe a mac would be less hassle for you. but a pc allows you to play 1,000s more games and since most computers are windows might be better to learn that OS.

Moo

Well if you're considering Acer, I bought this laptop on friday. Of course, it's not going to be here until next monday at the latest, so I can't comment on how reliable it is. My sister however has an Acer laptop from a few years back which I have been using, and the only issue I've had with it is that sometimes the wireless just times out and I have to repair the connection.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123116

However that laptop is slightly different in the spec, as it has a AMD processor which isn't dual core(though it apparently runs at 2GHz). I don't know enough to compare the two, maybe the guys here do.

Guest Jordan

Personally? I wouldn't buy a Sony.

They're over priced to be honest. I mean, they're small but... nothing else.

Guest Stefkov

From experience get a Toshiba. Had nothing wrong with mine over the past few months I've had it. No crashes what so ever.

This has Core 2 Duo, only an 80GB hard drive. Ram is only 1GB, but it says you can put up to 4GB worth in it.

Graphics card isn't great but it depends what you need the computer for.

Same laptop-ish but bigger HDD, 120GB for the same price...:wtf:

If you can stretch over £600 then you can get 2GB of RAM and 40GB more HDD space.

Those are Satellite, the A100 series. I have a P100-208. Realy lucky with mine becaue they were discontinuing them. I have absolutely no idea why, they were superb value for money. Trying to make the same laptop on anywebsite, Alienware etc, the prices went well over £1,000. I got mine, with VAT taken off because my dad bought it through a company, for £800. I was so happy.

I side with Jordan on this one, avoid Sony like the plague for laptops. Underspecced, Overpriced and full of shit software that slows down your already slow laptop.

I'd have a look at HP and Toshiba. They've got some good budget models.

I'd go Dell tbh. I've never had any problem with Dell and I've bought 6 PC's from them including 4 laptops.

With Dell though, your bestbet is to wait until they have a sale/special deals: double memory etc.

I use a Latitude D620 myself, and it is super reliable, super light and powerful enought to run as may programs as you need at once. Quick start-up, small and lightweight - its suits my needs down to the ground.

I'm hoping to get a mac in September though :blush:

I'd go Dell tbh. I've never had any problem with Dell and I've bought 6 PC's from them including 4 laptops.

With Dell though, your bestbet is to wait until they have a sale/special deals: double memory etc.

I use a Latitude D620 myself, and it is super reliable, super light and powerful enought to run as may programs as you need at once. Quick start-up, small and lightweight - its suits my needs down to the ground.

I'm hoping to get a mac in September though :blush:

why? give a honest answer!

i may get a dell or a toshiba... places normally do summer offers so ill get it closer to then

mind u - i dont want a mac computer...so dont suggest that

If you want a Windows pc, Sonys are good, though a lot of my friends have had hardware related problems with the top spec vaio models. If you want and can afford a little over £600 look into a macbook maybe. I had a HP business laptop which died on me for some reason. If you do know nothing about computers maybe a mac would be less hassle for you. but a pc allows you to play 1,000s more games and since most computers are windows might be better to learn that OS.

Moo

I lol'ed :laughing:

forgot to mention - i have the sims 2 and the last time i looked it said os - windows only... (hence me not wanting a mac)

and photoshop

and itunes

so i kinda need enough to store those..lol

You can get a mac version. Its rare the disc will have both mac and windows versions.

;456032"]You can get a mac version. Its rare the disc will have both mac and windows versions.

but i have like 5 expansion packs and that means forking out loads of money for it :S....

unless i get a second hand copy... but i dont like buying those....

*without this turning into a flaming thread*

can anyone tell me the pros and cons of getting a mac/pc?

i mean i could get a mac as we have a pc at home and the computer labs are pc at university...

but doesnt that mean i cant transfer documents like essays and stuff from computer to comptuer and print them out?

Buttons, as far as documents go, you can run Microsoft Office on Macs now - and the whole XP shebang anyway. Meaning that your stuff can be transferred between the Uni machines and your Mac without any bother... ergo as they say: get a Mac.

:hehe:

And have a Hobnob Flapjack, too.

Would me having one or not sway your opinion either way? Whoa if so!

Actually, I'd say just get a Dell or something. They're pretty reliable and you can get one for pretty good value that will more than suit your Uni needs.

(And then when you're properly rich, you can invest in an Apple. Cos they are rather expensive.)

Have you ever had a Snickers Flapjack? They arent too bad either! :hehe:

Would me having one or not sway your opinion either way? Whoa if so!

not really! lol.. just someone that had one could tell me more about the pros and cons

plus since i could probablly find you and hit you if it turned out to be the wrong thing to do

Actually, I'd say just get a Dell or something. They're pretty reliable and you can get one for pretty good value that will more than suit your Uni needs.

most likely

(And then when you're properly rich, you can invest in an Apple. Cos they are rather expensive.)

well.. my dad and my mum and me are paying for it for my 19th in september (28th woot) so id be paying 250 or something towards it if it was a mac ( also counting as a christmas pressie if its too expensive - so its not that expensive if you think of it

Have you ever had a Snickers Flapjack? They arent too bad either! :hehe:

i hate nuts :(

If the only game you play is The Sims 2, you can most of the expansion packs for Mac, maybe check eBay and amazon if your that interested.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130994-page,1/article.html < 10 things some people hate about macs, then a link to 10 things people love about the apple-mostly to do with the mac

Also the mac vs windows thread has some good info in about the differences, namely price-Macs are a tiny bit more expensive, but i think we've agreed iLife is what your paying for there, Macs aren't as compatible with some software as windows, but you can run windows on a Mac computer if you really found yourself wanting to but you'll need to have an antivirus etc, and you can't get OS X on anything else but a mac.

Hardware wise they're very nice, great build quality and excellent discounts if your a student. If you know PCs you'll be happy with a windows laptop, if you just want to use the computer and not really worry about viruses, and can take the fact that not all software will work, then maybe a mac is better. There's no problems with exchanging files between macs and pcs so thats not an issue especially when it comes to work.

At the spec i think your looking for the difference in price is about £100 excluding a student discount and what not.

;456032"]You can get a mac version. Its rare the disc will have both mac and windows versions.

Least Blizzard always release their games for PC and Mac as does Sports Interactive ^_^