NEurope
killer kirby

best opening ever

Yep, Half Life - 1 and 2, for me as well. I haven't played Half Life for... years now, but the opening sequence is still stuck with me. It was one of the few games that really hit the spot in my imagination that gets me interested.

oot was my faverite also minish cap intro was pretty good, and halo had quite a good intro.

just got inspired by the greatest ending ever so i thought i might put this up. anyway the best opening there are three of them first one is FF VIII really good next is Resident Evil: Code Veronica loved it how she was able to beat all these people

Scummer - theyre the exact two that I would say :) I remember thinking that the FMV in both was absolutely staggering at the time.

FFVII's intro was pretty cool too, in the way that it led straight into the action rather than just being a pretty precursor to the game.

Finally, I would say Red Dead Revolver, because it is perfect Spaghetti Western. Its just a shame the game didnt follow it up.

The opening for RE on GC was cool, the guy still pulling the trigger even even hes being taken apart

The intro to Metroid Prime 2, and I mean tha actual intro before the start screen comes up, was simply amazing. I think I watched it five times before I actually got into the game.

I see two kinds of intro's here. The First couple of minutes of the game before the game actually takes off (in some RPG's this can actually be up to an hour) and the intro FMV (like in SSB and Namco games)

My Top 3 Intro's as in first couple of minutes is:

1. Majora's Mask

2. FF VII (7) (Even better is the TEch demo)

3. Half-life (wich is one of those games wich pulls you in)

My top 3 intro's as in FMV's is:

1. Tales of Symphonia.

2. Warhammer 40k Firewarrior (It's just soooo cool when you play Warhammer and see all the things you love in full motion)

3. FF 9 (waay better then 8 in my oppinion but then again I liked the setting a lot)

No one has mentioned it... but Half-Life 1 and 2 both have fantastic beginnings for totally different reasons.

Half-Life 1. Usual day at work, you start on the monorail. It takes about 3 minutes and you see so many goings on, as well as your first encounter with the G-Man... not that you know he's the main "bad guy" so to speak. You go down to the locker room, get your Hazard Suit and head to work. Only when a new sample of an experiment is tested a portal to Xen is opened. And all hell breaks lose.

What a start.

In Half-Life 2. The first 30 seconds are incredible. The G-Man talks to you. The graphics are astounding, its such a high-res model. Once he's finished, you're again on a train/monorail style system. You see two people inside it. You can talk to them, if you wish. Or you can walk out... and you really have no idea where you are till Dr. Breen says "Welcome, welcome to City 17... It's safer here." You're confronted by many Combine Police, pushing you along. You talk through the gates. The gate shuts behind you, the security cameras point at you and you hear a bleeping. The alarms come on. CP's surround you, then one comes out a door to your right. "You citizen, come with me."

Such an amazing start. Simple as.

I couldn't agree, and also how you look into the door, you see some guy gettint tortued, then one combine walks and closes the little slit in the door, its so atmospheric, you're making me on start up half-life 2 again!

The opening for RE on GC was cool, the guy still pulling the trigger even even hes being taken apart

I agree with that, and the first 10 minutes (intro and 10 mins of gaming where you meet billy) in Resident Evil: Zero.

Also, it has to be the intro for Killer 7. Just seeing Garcian for the first time and the streets and seeing the graphics style. It was just bewildering. :)

Just remembered one: Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes had an awesome opnening.

I quite liked Diablo 2's opening...

but apart from that,

FFvii

MM (chase scene was awesome)

croc

Lylat Wars had a good opening, all of them rushing to the Arwings with the alarm going off :)

Banjo Kazooie's opening was good too.

I quite liked Diablo 2's opening...

All of Diablo 2's cut scene were so kick ass.

For intro's I've always loved Navi's voyage through the forest (OoT) and FF8's was coolm even thoguh I hated the game...

I love the intro to Shadow the hedgehog (Downloadable on IGN or Gamespot if any ones interested).

Its so rock and roll... But then again im a huge Sonic fan, its just left me in awe the amount of action in it.

same the music was pretty damn cool but why was shadow on a motorbike when he can run at the speed of sound?

All of Diablo 2's cut scene were so kick ass.

I have the special edition DVD with all the cutscenes. It rocks.

FF6 was very good. Sonic Adventure made me shite myself it was that good. I still watch it and have a tear in my eye...

Zelda MM

Tron2.0

Warcraft 3 (still the best FMVs I have ever seen)

And on a slightly different point, I think Metroid Prime has THE best menu of all time. Just flicking around that huge close up scan of the Metroid hatchling was pretty special indeedy.,

No one has mentioned it... but Half-Life 1 and 2 both have fantastic beginnings for totally different reasons.

Half-Life 1. Usual day at work, you start on the monorail. It takes about 3 minutes and you see so many goings on, as well as your first encounter with the G-Man... not that you know he's the main "bad guy" so to speak. You go down to the locker room, get your Hazard Suit and head to work. Only when a new sample of an experiment is tested a portal to Xen is opened. And all hell breaks lose.

What a start.

In Half-Life 2. The first 30 seconds are incredible. The G-Man talks to you. The graphics are astounding, its such a high-res model. Once he's finished, you're again on a train/monorail style system. You see two people inside it. You can talk to them, if you wish. Or you can walk out... and you really have no idea where you are till Dr. Breen says "Welcome, welcome to City 17... It's safer here." You're confronted by many Combine Police, pushing you along. You talk through the gates. The gate shuts behind you, the security cameras point at you and you hear a bleeping. The alarms come on. CP's surround you, then one comes out a door to your right. "You citizen, come with me."

Such an amazing start. Simple as.

I played through the whole game and I'm as lost as I was in the beginning. I don't like when the games story is driven by some tv shows or radio broadcasts. Every time I tried to see/hear one properly, BOOM! HEADSHOT! Some combine guards appear from somewhere and takes me down. ANd after the firefight the broadcast has ended. So in the end I don't know what I did and why I did it. Really flattened the game experience for me.

But on to the topic, seeing mario 64 for the first time kinda took my breath away. After that everything has just been in 3d. And I also like the scene in oot which comes when you power up the system. The music's great, you hear the galloping and then it slowly fades in with link riding epona against the horizon. And displaying the zelda logo.

The beginning of Resident Evil 4 rocked. You enter the village and everyone comes at Leon from all angles, then you run into the house only for the chainsaw guy to come after you. Then if you survived all that the villagers walk away and 'Resiednt Evil' appears on the screen. Awesome. :D

Fully agree, nothing I can think of, off the top of my head, comes close to this opening!

Resident Evil Remake's opening is pretty damn good. I love it.

Tales of Symphonia, and somehow, i love Super Monkey Ball's opening lol. The music is cool.

Most of the cutscenes in Warcraft 3 are excellent, cant really remember the opening one, but im sure its good like the rest, when ....ehhrm.. dies.

And another that sticks out in my mind is Chrono Trigger.

BTW, im talking about not pushing any buttons hehe.

Majora- I just liked it no real reason why it just felt like a GOOD opening.

Chrono Trigger- Interesting way of doing it.

Shenmue 2- Pant wetting, it always brings a tear to my eye.