NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
BeerMonkey

Womens Sports

Do you guys ever ponder on why the majority of sports on the telly are males playing snooker, football, rugby etc.

There is womens tounaments in sports but there never or hardly on TV just a little mention.

Been watching a bit of the snooker today and between a frame they did a few minute interview with a women snooker player....it made me think why on earth isnt any women snooker matchs on bbc1-2?

Same with footy women have there own league why not chuck on some womens f.a cup stuff on ITV

I guess its because alot of peeps dont care for it but would you watch if it was on?

whats your views on women sports on tv should it not be on or would you watch it

Womens football is horrid, it's slow and they cant kick for hell.

Yeah womens football finals are on TV often now.

There were the Badminton horse trials on TV today aswell.

Womens golf is also shown occasionally.

I think it's mainly because the TV Broadcasters think they won't get good enough viewing figures to make it worthwhile showing it, which is a fair point.

Womens sports just aren't as popular at the moment.

For example the stadium at a Mens FA Cup Final would be sold out, where as the stadium at a Womens FA Cup Final is no where near.

I think it's gradually getting better. Did they even show the Women's FA Cup final 10 years ago on tv?

It's getting there. It needs more publicity. With that, the quality will go up as well.

More people watch = more people who take an interest/become interested = more people who will want to participate in the sport = more variety of players.

Yeah womens football finals are on TV often now.

There were the Badminton horse trials on TV today aswell.

Womens golf is also shown occasionally.

I think it's mainly because the TV Broadcasters think they won't get good enough viewing figures to make it worthwhile showing it, which is a fair point.

Womens sports just aren't as popular at the moment.

For example the stadium at a Mens FA Cup Final would be sold out, where as the stadium at a Womens FA Cup Final is no where near.

Yeah there is that to consider, they know there is no market for it so they aren't gonna pay for it...

Personally I don't have any problem with it...of course male sports are better but that is because more money is ploughed into them even at school levels...and then at youth level from there on in...

More people watch = more people who take an interest/become interested = more people who will want to participate in the sport = more variety of players.

The circle of doom.

Womens sports don't draw the same crowds that mens do. So it's all to do with advertising revenue, sponsorship and tv viewing figures.

Womens sport come across as inferior variations on mens sports. It is sad, but it's true.

Women's football sucks IMHO - the level is really poor. But I think women's tennis is quite good, as is women's ice speed-skating but that's a Dutch thing.

Women's football does kinda suck, it is a lot less skillful, but has in recent years reached a higher level technically in recent years, you are less likely to see a dash of skill win a game but much more likely to see a well created move come off...

There is a lot of women's tennis on during Wimbledon. That alone proves that people want to watch men's sports more than women's. The viewing figures for the women's are far less than men's.

Womens tennis is just a joke, its not even fair on the female players. Why are they only allowed to play to three sets?

Womens tennis is just a joke, its not even fair on the female players. Why are they only allowed to play to three sets?

Men only play 3 sets in tournaments other than the Grand Slams and possibly the Masters Series. It's apparently because they're not physically strong enough to play five. I would like to see them do 5 sets to see what they make of it. Or hear anyway, after the match is finished. Women's tennis is a game of sheer strength. The physically strongest played wins almost every time. There are very few extremely talented women players out there.

I think that the women should be made to play best of 5 matches at Wimbledon, now that they're getting the same prize money!

They made kitchens for a reason you know...

Just kidding! I really really wanted to make that joke as soon as I saw the title. I guess that for some reason there just isn't much demand for it, maybe for the reasoning of that joke actually. I reckon in order for it to become more popular, it needs some more exposure, but to get more exposure it needs to be more popular.

Either that or it's a tossup between then two, say a channel has limited amount of time to show sports, if they show women's sport they're gonna have to show less men's sport, which is more popular. If you had to make the choice, would you show something that you expect would pull higher ratings, or lower?

I think that the women should be made to play best of 5 matches at Wimbledon, now that they're getting the same prize money!

They get the same money for playing less? I think that's unfair. I think in any sports, if women play the same amount as men, they should get the same prize. Less if less, and more if more.

As soon as I saw the title I know you had watched the Snooker. I did too! :D

Anyways, "women's" sports piss me off. There is a reason why Snooker [for example] doesn't have any women in the Crucible. Because they're shit. Same goes for other normal sports [Although that woman ref would get a shabba'ising]

I'm not 100% on this, but is there anything, in any sport, which designates it as a male only sport? Not counting the Olympic shit.

Although I really don't understand why they feel the need to make their own league and shit. It's like hiding behind that "You shouldn't hit a woman" bullshit.

Although I really don't understand why they feel the need to make their own league and shit. It's like hiding behind that "You shouldn't hit a woman" bullshit.

I'm pretty sure it's because the FA doesn't allow mixed teams after the age of eleven. As such women's football and other sports has only taken off over the last decade or so along with the woman's rights movements, and there is still very little grass roots support for female talent.

And, yes, ideally you really shouldn't go around hitting women. It doesn't give off a good image to other people.

Womens football is horrid, it's slow and they cant kick for hell.

(Bit like the England Football Team really)

Anyway, yeah, it's like a teenage kick around.

It might also get better viewing if they didn't look like blokes.

I don't really get why so many sports are separated into men and women though, because for many they make little difference.

It would be like separating them into race, since some are generally a lil superior to others in certain physical aspects.

Lift their shirts up when they score and swap bras at the end = Better than men's football, then they will get publisized.

I don't if anyone will remember this but italian side Perugia signed a female player a few years ago but were not allowed to register her, despite nothing in their rules saying it is not allowed...

EDIT:

A quick look on wikipedia shows this, I was right knew I was!

Luciano Gaucci (1991 till 2004 chairman) tried also to hire two female footabllers, forwards Hanna Ljungberg and Birgit Prinz

As girls mature they grow differently to boys, the difference becomes dangerous in some physical and aggressive sports so participation can't be mixed.

GCSE P.E, why did I pick you?

Sign in to follow this