N-Europe

Soul Calibur Legends

Hero-of-Time

On the RPG front, yeah I agree, the most beautiful RPG's were made on the SNES and PS1, but they used Sprites and Pre-rendered backdrops, which looked brilliant. They didn't do that on the games of last generation and the look of the games suffered in my opinion. With the next generation of consoles, I felt that 3D has finally caught up to how great the old 2D games used to look in terms of their art style. I think it's a shame that nobody makes great RPG's in 2D anymore, especially when you look at something like Odin Sphere, which is one of the most beautiful games I've seen on PS2.

As for Excite Truck, that was 2 days of about 2 and 1/2 hours of play a day. On my first go through Resi 4 , I think I clocked around 35 hours. Thats a hell of a lot more than 2 days, but you could complete it in 2 days if you played constantly enough. Added to that is the Mercenaries mode, and the incentive to play through the game on multiple difficulties, get all the weapons, and extra items.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the RPG front, yeah I agree, the most beautiful RPG's were made on the SNES and PS1, but they used Sprites and Pre-rendered backdrops, which looked brilliant. They didn't do that on the games of last generation and the look of the games suffered in my opinion. With the next generation of consoles, I felt that 3D has finally caught up to how great the old 2D games used to look in terms of their art style. I think it's a shame that nobody makes great RPG's in 2D anymore, especially when you look at something like Odin Sphere, which is one of the most beautiful games I've seen on PS2.
I agree, I'll certainly buy it, and I'm very interested aswell in the pseudo-prequel done by Atlus for the Saturn, Princess Crown. I'm kinda digging for that on eBay at the moment.

I'm perfectly ok with 3D graphics on RPG's and it's not like I'm requiring 2D though, the thing for me is the story they tell who tend to be too cliché and too focused on one group of people, sometimes it feels like it's RPG No 13245 with that setting.

they could invest more on storytelling if a million dolar game with lots of CGI cinematics doesn't match the story of a game who was really tech limited 10+ years ago.

I find newer Final Fantasy games to target teens now, and I'm not a teen anymore, but FF6 is not a RPG for teens for me, for example.

It's kind of the path the industry took, needs to be shaked.

As for Excite Truck, that was 2 days of about 2 and 1/2 hours of play a day. On my first go through Resi 4 , I think I clocked around 35 hours. Thats a hell of a lot more than 2 days, but you could complete it in 2 days if you played constantly enough. Added to that is the Mercenaries mode, and the incentive to play through the game on multiple difficulties, get all the weapons, and extra items.
Didn't notice Excite to be so short.

I clocked at 17:30 hours on RE4's first play, and then I started a new file instantly something I don't usually do so I agree it has great replay value for that it is.

Soul Calibur no skill!!!! Seriously what have you been smoking I would love to know.

You know what, I agree with Bard on this one!

Im sorry but the the majority of this post is just plain stupid.

yeah im stupid i dont deny it.. Viva la dummys :-P.. ill take u calling me stupid and i will thank u... U ant never gonna change my mind that way tho... :yay: so ha... i hate fighting games...and if u tell me u never got owned by some one button mashing after u spent hella times learning the moves i call u a liar.. and i like cheese...and chips... and its all cheese like macaroni

im not saying it dosnt take skill to play a fighting game.. Its just one of the few kinds of games that button mashing works... U can button mash ur way threw street fighter 2 and still beat the game for exp. I did it. You couldnt do that with say a fps or a rts game... In those kinds of games u need to know what ur doing or u have no chance... i just never invested time in fighting games enough... i mean i played smash but thats about it but that is not a traditional fighter... Fighing games would be so much better if they found a way to remove the random button pushing IMO... people need to chill its all : peace: and :heart:

Button mashers aren't a problem on fighting games. If you know all the moves and the timing of them then there's no worry whatsoever against button mashers!

Soul Calibur has PLENTY of skill involved! PLENTY! It's a very well balanced game, each character can go up against any other and win... all you need is to use the correct tactics... note - button mashing doesn't work (against someone who knows what they're doing)!

Lastly: I play a fuckload of Fighters, and very competitively too...I just spent $200 on a fucking arade stick cause I didn't like the controls on a regular pad...it's something I obsess about, and trust me, there is no real way I can see a good, competitive, skill based fighter working with solely motion controls. The things that Demuwan suggested were great though, they might work well.

Fair enough if you just perfer the arcade stick controls (I personally hate them). Have you seen the last two NGamers? They have a "How to" feature on making an Arcade Stick for the Wii using the classic controller, wood/plastic, and arcade stick parts.

Still, the point I was making is that you don't have to use solely motion controls.

Right....represent real fighting...you do realise that it's a videogame and it's not supposed to represent real fighting, and if it represented real fighting, most people would go down in one swing.

Maybe you would.

I'm not talking about totally realistic representation, I'm talking about a realistic game metaphor for fighting.

Smash Bros is closer to real fighting than any other fighting game (other than stuff like Fight Night), which is quite ironic. No single move is difficult to do and each is intuitive, just like real fighting and unlike complicated button combinations and huge move lists that you must memorise in traditional fighting games. Deception plays an important role, in Smash it's possible to get your opponent to move in the wrong direction by faking out because moving is so unrestricted, with traditional fighters this is much more difficult because the control systems are so rigid. In Smash Bros you must take into account your environment, and use it to your advantage; in most traditional fighters the only difference between arenas is the background and how many boxes you can smash your opponent into. Health bars used in traditional fighters also make no sense, when was the last time anyone got beat up so bad that they only needed a light tap them to finish them off? Never. However, it makes perfect sense for someone to get beaten to the point where getting back up again becomes more and more difficult, which is represented in Smash Bros by trying to climb back onto the arena after taking a lot of damage.

Motion controls would be perfectly suited to a new breed of fighting games like this for the exact same reason the analog stick is better for Smash Bros than a D-Pad and 4 face buttons. Traditional fighters exist because designers tried to wrap compex concept like fighting around something so primitive as digital buttons. Saying traditional fighters wouldn't work on Wii is exactly like saying platformers wouldn't work in 3D and assuming that you'd have a 3D world but with pipes, blocks and enemies all arranged in a straight line. Traditional fighters won't work because Wii is capable of doing so much more.

• 2 weeks later...

From Gonintendo...

A few slight details concerning Soul Calibur Legends have popped up via the latest issue of Famitsu. According to an article, a new character by the name of Isuka will be introduced. We do not learn anymore about him than that unfortunately. Also mentioned, the storyline will take place between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. Finally, a Winter 2007 Japanese release is once again confirmed via the picture below.

Maybe you would.

I'm not talking about totally realistic representation, I'm talking about a realistic game metaphor for fighting.

Smash Bros is closer to real fighting than any other fighting game (other than stuff like Fight Night), which is quite ironic. No single move is difficult to do and each is intuitive, just like real fighting and unlike complicated button combinations and huge move lists that you must memorise in traditional fighting games. Deception plays an important role, in Smash it's possible to get your opponent to move in the wrong direction by faking out because moving is so unrestricted, with traditional fighters this is much more difficult because the control systems are so rigid. In Smash Bros you must take into account your environment, and use it to your advantage; in most traditional fighters the only difference between arenas is the background and how many boxes you can smash your opponent into. Health bars used in traditional fighters also make no sense, when was the last time anyone got beat up so bad that they only needed a light tap them to finish them off? Never. However, it makes perfect sense for someone to get beaten to the point where getting back up again becomes more and more difficult, which is represented in Smash Bros by trying to climb back onto the arena after taking a lot of damage.

Motion controls would be perfectly suited to a new breed of fighting games like this for the exact same reason the analog stick is better for Smash Bros than a D-Pad and 4 face buttons. Traditional fighters exist because designers tried to wrap compex concept like fighting around something so primitive as digital buttons. Saying traditional fighters wouldn't work on Wii is exactly like saying platformers wouldn't work in 3D and assuming that you'd have a 3D world but with pipes, blocks and enemies all arranged in a straight line. Traditional fighters won't work because Wii is capable of doing so much more.

You know your Smash. I love ya already!

Maybe you would.

Very well said, I agree with the majority of points you have made.

I think the problem lies with developers and not with the console, as most developers are 'unable' to think 'outside the box' and most of them are more than happy to not spend that extra effort.

I think for this to change Nintendo need to step up and effectively show developers how you can use such an innovative device effectively.

If you think about it without Mario 64 what would have happened to the platform Genre, without Goldeneye 64 what would have happened to the console FPS. To truly exploit what the Wii has to offer it is going to take the innovation and daring that most just aren't capable of.

Bullshit, I've never got pwned by a n00b on any fighter, but that's because I'm fucking ace.

If it was so luck based, why would there be annual tournaments with large cash prizes for the winners (who tend to be the same people) year after year?

you need to check out Evolution Tournament

Ha there will ne a day where i play street fighter 2 online with you. it's the game i also pride myself in:)

that and mario kart ds.

without Goldeneye 64 what would have happened to the console FPS.

Not just the console FPS but the entire genre. PC fans think of Half-Life as a revolution in the FPS genre without realising that Goldeneye did all the revolutionising a year earlier.

here is the New scan from the Famitsu magazine i think the game looks awesome and wat i see beneath is that there also is an one on one fighting gameplay mode or something? they said something like there would also be a Cooperative gameplay in it.

scan_02.jpg

i really hope you can create your own character in this game or at least they should put link and someone else in this game

here is the New scan from the Famitsu magazine i think the game looks awesome and wat i see beneath is that there also is an one on one fighting gameplay mode or something?

The one on the left is from Soul Blade/Edge and the other from Soul Calibur.