Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Is this maths right?

Rummy

Hello, I was over on 4chan because I was bored and checking out /b/, when something actually peaked my interest, there was a thread with this image attached.

1177260221606la9.png

Anonymous 04/22/07(Sun)12:43:41 No.25170229

This is right. If you get 140 or 197 or something, then you need to go back to school because this is REALLY simple.

So tell me N-E, do you think this is right or wrong? I personally thought it was right, as I was once taught about BODMAS, but everyone in the thread there seems to think it is wrong, and I typed it into excel(only thing I could think of available to me) and someone there typed it into something else, and they and my excel get it coming out as 197.

Who is right?

(Sorry if you feel this didn't warrant a whole new thread, but I think it's a rather interesting topic, and I know there's a few keen mathematicians here)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think about it though, had I seen the second line as the sum, I'd have gotten 197, or would I? It's the sort of thing I can't do as I would naturally because now I am conscious of it, and the sort of thing I'm so used to doing that I don't know how I do.

do you know the first two rules of /b/? I'll give you a hint, they're similar to the first two rules of fight club

It all depends on which order you do the sums. The lack of brackets surely makes it wrong in the first place....

People there were saying that Multiplication and Division were of equal importance to each other, then Addition and Subtraction were of equal importance to each other, and when it comes down to it you just do it left to right.

I should have thought though, if order could affect it, it kind of flaws the logical basis of maths slightly?

People there were saying that Multiplication and Division were of equal importance, then Addition and Subtraction were of equal importance, and when it comes down to it you just do it left to right.

I should have thought though, if order could affect it, it kind of flaws the logical basis of maths slightly?

but thats wrong bodmas proves this line of working to be right, how dare they defy bodmas!

They weren't denying it as such, they were just saying that they're equal, it's just called BODMAS(or PEMDAS) because one obviously must be written before the other, and BODMAS is an easier way to remember and think of it.

2-5+10*20 = 197

No questions asked, using his logic you could get pretty much any answer you wanted just by rearranging. The only way to get is answer would be by 2- (5+200), but thats not what the question was. Addition and subtraction are COMPLETELY equal, in fact subtraction is simply the addition of a negative number. So yea... you've been told, or something.

People got 140 by doing this:

[(2 -5) + 10] x 20 = 140

I'll say it once again. Bodmas does not get you -203.

EDIT:

i get 197 but then who cares. rearranging the top bit i can also get -203.

The only answer to the question is 197. The only way you can get different answers is by adding brackets.

People got 140 by doing this:

[(2 -5) + 10] x 20 = 140

I'll say it once again. Bodmas does not get you -203.

EDIT:

The only answer to the question is 197. The only way you can get different answers is by adding brackets.

I can get -203 using BODMAS...

Brackets... None

Of... (i'm sure someone once told me that can mean multiply, but either way, it doesn't matter) None

Divide... None

Multiply... 2 - 5 + 200

Add... 2 - 205

Subtract... -203

I've always been taught this rule: brackets first, then to what power it is, then divide and multiply and lastly addition and subtraction. Also, go from left to right. Addition and subtraction are equal, which means that you should get 197.

I'd never heard of BODMAS before and had to look it up. Weird thing, especially since it seems to imply addition and subtraction are not equal.

I can get -203 using BODMAS...

Brackets... None

Of... (i'm sure someone once told me that can mean multiply, but either way, it doesn't matter) None

Divide... None

Multiply... 2 - 5 + 200

Add... 2 - 205

Subtract... -203

Those two steps don't translate I'm afraid. You see, the minus sign is "attached" to the 5. What you're doing is this:

2 - (5 +200) which equals 2 - 5 - 200

You're adding 5 to the 200 and then negating both of them, and of course it's not a five you should be adding but a -5. Once again:

2 - 5 + 200 = (+2) + (-5) + (200) = 197

So it is true then that multiplication and division are equal to each other in importance, and also addition and subtraction are equal to each other in importance as well? And therefore in any such situation involving them the priority is given left to right?

The all powerful windows calculator says it's 140.

Actually, and rather interestingly, it gives both 140 and 197. Try it in standard mode, then do the exact same inputting in in scientific mode ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!