N-Europe

Gaming Magazines - Do you read them?

Cube

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been subscribed to Edge for nearly 10 years now since Issue 51, I think the magazine is around Issue 180 now, I can't remember what number the latest is. Anyway it's the best Gaming Mag around because it has the best articles and reviews and also because of Mr. Biffo.

I also subscribed to NOM and now subsribe to ONM, don't ask why, it's not all bad IMO.

I buy Ngamer and Edge. I buy Ngamer because it's soley dedicated to Nintendo console gaming - which i'm most interested in. EDGE, for a mature look on the videogaming culture and because it's a multi-format mag so I can keep up to date with the 360 and PS3.

Due to the internet, alot of people have given up reading magazines, as they can find the same information quicker and more efficiently online. However I still think there is a place for gaming magazines; they're more personal, they encompass exclusive features and analytic articles that take a wider look at gaming than just the games themselves (EDGE particularly) and they're an apt way of acessing the latest news, reviews and previews in a compact form that's more acessible and easier to read than the web.

I've been subscribed to Edge for nearly 10 years now since Issue 51, I think the magazine is around Issue 180 now, I can't remember what number the latest is. Anyway it's the best Gaming Mag around because it has the best articles and reviews and also because of Mr. Biffo.

I also subscribed to NOM and now subsribe to ONM, don't ask why, it's not all bad IMO.

You've been reading EDGE since you were 5?

Guest Stefkov

I just get ONM every month. Partly because of the Nintendo logo on the spines, want to finish it. Partly because its something read, I dont read anything on paper anymore.

In Whsmith yes, but other than that they are now a bit unnecessary as you can get quality reviews and demos online. I just think that a years worth of buying them would amount to around £50, which is enough for a game. I know which I'd rather have.

I allways have a magazine in my room to read before i go to sleep, it's normally either ONM, Gamesmaster, Ngamer.

Out of Ngamer and ONM, which do you prefer. There was a brief period where I used to buy both, but I much preferred NGC and have been buying it for 6 years now. Is ONM any better than NOM?

Edge- which I have been reading for years now, think about 12 years.. the oldest issue I have that hasn't been thrown away by my mother (she threw out all my old amiga magazines and others much to my dismay) has a preview of metal gear solid on the Playstation...

Out of Ngamer and ONM, which do you prefer. There was a brief period where I used to buy both, but I much preferred NGC and have been buying it for 6 years now. Is ONM any better than NOM?

ONM is a bit bland to read. It's trying to be really moderm and that, theres no colour to the magazine its just white, it doesnt really work so nah i liked NOM more.

Ngamer, the bast damn Brittish Nintendo gaming mag EVER

QFT. Greener ftw.

Well actually my brother started the collection originally but since he's not around anymore I've carried it on and I just like to say its mine. :smile:

I was thinking: "dam, this guy must have had a high reading age!". When I was aged 5- 10 I used to buy gameboy advance solutions, POM and Cube.

Guest Jordan
I just get ONM every month. Partly because of the Nintendo logo on the spines, want to finish it. Partly because its something read, I dont read anything on paper anymore.

Any chance of a pic of how far you've gotten? :)

I always read NGamer. I picked it up after I got my GameCube for Christmas in 2002, it was actually the world's largest gaming magazine then (seriously massive) and had a review of Metroid Prime for GC. NGC sparked my love of Zelda (and Mario and basically Nintendo as a whole), because I remember seeing a preview of the next magazine in that first issue, and it said it was going to review Zelda: Wind Waker. Now this game looked smashing in my eyes, it was the first game that I preordered and it was thanks to NGC and their import review. I still read NGamer now because I love the reviews and witty sarcasm. They also give readers what they promise, and if ever they get something wrong in the magazine they apologise about it, see the response to people going hyper about Pokemon Battle Revolution's lack of FCs. They told the world about Zelda Wii, Resi DS and a lot of other stuff. Yeah, best gaming (or at least Nintendo) magazine in my eyes.

I always read NGamer. I picked it up after I got my GameCube for Christmas in 2002, it was actually the world's largest gaming magazine then (seriously massive) and had a review of Metroid Prime for GC. NGC sparked my love of Zelda (and Mario and basically Nintendo as a whole), because I remember seeing a preview of the next magazine in that first issue, and it said it was going to review Zelda: Wind Waker. Now this game looked smashing in my eyes, it was the first game that I preordered and it was thanks to NGC and their import review. I still read NGamer now because I love the reviews and witty sarcasm. They also give readers what they promise, and if ever they get something wrong in the magazine they apologise about it, see the response to people going hyper about Pokemon Battle Revolution's lack of FCs. They told the world about Zelda Wii, Resi DS and a lot of other stuff. Yeah, best gaming (or at least Nintendo) magazine in my eyes.

I think it's lost some of its cheeky charm in the conversion from NGC to Ngamer. Stuff like Kitsy's help section, Greener's retrospective and little stuff like that.

Guest Stefkov
Any chance of a pic of how far you've gotten? :)

Sure why not.

dscf1318xh9.jpg

I still have my first ever nintendo Magazine. I cant remember the name but it had a competition in it. Spot the mistake in the magazine and you win a gamecube, I still remember to this day(and annoyed at myself I didnt find it) the controller on the front cover was the one which had a kidney shaped B button. :( Plus it came with a disc which I was ecstatic about.

Also I got a guide to OOT. The front few pages are gone but from the content page of which area it covers is all there. I remember following it...

Also I have a 'bin' which has all the past magazines in, its a foot high and its full to the brim.