Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

flameboy

For one thing I don't see how graphics are an issue here. Everybody was awed by this game when it first came out, so why is 'minor graphics improvements plx' a buying criterium? As if the GameCube version was ugly, and as if the minor improvements will make it any better...

Also Dante, I think the differences in that shot are caused by the fact that they aren't taken at the exact same moment and because the Wii version is a printed shot. It doesn't necessarily mean they're upgrading the graphics.

The graphics are an issue because the Wii is significantly more powerful than the GC. There's no reason they can't clean the graphics up even more..

The color pallete looks more like the PS2 version :indeed:

Capcom wouldn't do that.. would they?! :shakehead

Naw dude, it's because it's a scan I think. The graphics will at least be on par with the GC version for sure, err, I think.

The graphics are an issue because the Wii is significantly more powerful than the GC. There's no reason they can't clean the graphics up even more...
No doubt, but it doesn't matter that much, does it?

I guess not, but it'd be nice. I'd settle for the GC graphics, and updated controls + extras. I'll be waiting for reviews before I buy it though, there's a good chance they'll skank the controls up. I think some sort of a 2 player mode where another player can control Ashley would be cool too.

I'm with DCK on this one, I'd much rather they quickly got this out with the Wii controls and concerntrated on giving Umbrella Chronicles all the graphical bells and whistles they can muster.

They obviously have their reasons for re-releasing this on the Wii, (money I'd imagine:heh: ) but I don't think it would be wise to spend time sprucing this up too much and risk it getting released too close to Umbrella Chronicles, which could lead to confusion (for some less informed gamers) which is of course on target for a 2007 release, I also think they fact UC is out this year, likely post summer-Xmas we are more likely to see Resi 4 before summer.

Dont forgot it is Capcom's Gamers day on 12th of April. :)
Yep! Many trailers hopefully!!

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/778/778248p1.html

First details on how you'll use the Wiimote.

Titled Biohazard 4 Wii Edition in Japan (the RE series is known as Biohazard in its home country), this update promises full Wiimote support. The Wiimote is used to aim a targeting cursor in order to target and fire at your enemies. To reload, you hold down on the B trigger and shake the Wiimote. In case you were wondering, the built-in speaker is being programmed with a reload sound effect.

The Wiimote is also used for close-range attacks. When an enemy approaches, all you have to do is give the Wiimote a little of the shake-shake. The game automatically detects the direction of the enemy and makes Leon perform a knife attack. This move can also be used against trees and barrels.

The rest of the game has also been modified to take account of the Wii's unique controller. Interactive event scenes display the Wii buttons when prompting for input. Some events require that you shake the Wiimote.

The producers of the Wii version revealed to Famitsu that one of their goals is to allow families who play the Wii together to experience Resident Evil. The game will include "Easy" and "Amateur" difficulty settings, selectable from the start, that will make aiming easier and keep your life from depleting too fast.

Even if you're a RE pro, you'll probably want to take a look at the Wii version, especially if you didn't try out the PS2 version of the game. All the bonus elements that made it into the PS2 version are being included in the Wii release. That includes the "The Another Order" sequence, where you play as Ada.

And on top of all that is a first look at Umbrella Chronicles! A trailer for the first original Wii entry in the Resident Evil series (be sure and check out our separate preview) will be included with RE4 Wii Edition.

RE4 is set for Japanese Wii release on 5/31. While it hasn't officially been announced outside of Japan yet, its appearance in retailer databases late last week suggests that Wii players everywhere will get to experience this Capcom classic through a new control scheme.

Now, this is something I don't intend to do:

The producers of the Wii version revealed to Famitsu that one of their goals is to allow families who play the Wii together to experience Resident Evil. The game will include "Easy" and "Amateur" difficulty settings, selectable from the start, that will make aiming easier and keep your life from depleting too fast.

I mean... Are they encouraging parents to buy a 18-year rated game for their children and play it with them? or are they suggesting that the kids call their parents in?

Sometimes developers generalize Nintendo platforms too much.

I think the inclusion of the demo of Umbrella chronicles is a major selling point. But the mjor issue here which no one is able to tell us yet, is will it push the system graphically and be the GCN grahics build, or will they just port the PS2 version. If they do, I certainly won;t be picking it up.

Now, this is something I don't intend to do:

I mean... Are they encouraging parents to buy a 18-year rated game for their children and play it with them? or are they suggesting that the kids call their parents in?

Sometimes developers generalize Nintendo platforms too much.

Haha, I can't really imagine playing Resident Evil with my grandad, myself.

It's just...not that sort of game.

What do I mean? Oh, nothing...just, the game features flesh eating zombies, ffs.

I think the inclusion of the demo of Umbrella chronicles is a major selling point. But the major issue here which no one is able to tell us yet, is will it push the system graphically and be the GCN grahics build, or will they just port the PS2 version. If they do, I certainly won;t be picking it up.
I think it's only a trailer.

They don't even have to port the GC version for it to run on the Wii, and separate ways cutscenes were actually recorded from the RE4 GC engine just like every other cutscene in the game, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GC version, it's the only plausible choice.

I think the inclusion of the demo of Umbrella chronicles is a major selling point. But the mjor issue here which no one is able to tell us yet, is will it push the system graphically and be the GCN grahics build, or will they just port the PS2 version. If they do, I certainly won;t be picking it up.
It's a trailer of Umbrella Chronicles, not a demo!

Also, a number of the articles have said that it's the GC version of Resi 4, with the PS2 extra's (which I imagine will just stay as PS2 visuals), with added Wii controls, QTE's etc...

I think it's only a trailer.

They don't even have to port the GC version for it to run on the Wii, and separate ways cutscenes were actually recorded from the RE4 GC engine just like every other cutscene in the game, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GC version, it's the only plausible choice.

That is a very good point actually, as it already runs on Wii due to the abckward compatibility. However, I really hope it is the case.

I didnt like the idea of a Wiimake of RE4 at first. I mean, it's a GC-game-turned-PS2-game-turned-Wii-game. The original RE4 was released fairly late in the GC's life, Capcom didn't play the game well, since they announced the PS2 version pretty close to the GC release. I figure many PS2 owners skipped the GC version.

It's still one of the best games out there and if it's at a budget price, I might wanna replay the whole game again with the added content. As long as they don't disappoint us with UC, I'm fine with this brilliant 'filler' title.

The color pallete looks more like the PS2 version :indeed:

Capcom wouldn't do that.. would they?! :shakehead

Since Ada's missions will be added to the game, it would certainly be easier for Capcom to use the PS2 engine.

The PS2 lacked a number of visual effects, and its probably easier to not programme the effects into Ada's missions.

Already own it on the PS2 and the Cube. I'll be missing this one then.

Is there any serious gamer left in the world that hasn't played this already?

I played it briefly, because I decided that I wanted to play the others in the series first. Which are 2,3 and finishing CV:X.

Sorta like watching Rocky 2 and 3 before watching 4.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

You play Resident Evil for its story?

Hehe, it's stupid, I know. But, there's really nothing more annoying than, for example, watching a tv programme halfway through a series and then having to backtrack to find out why everything is the way it is. For example...I don't know the whole deal with who Leon is, or Ada! Now if I play 2,3 and CV: X, that'd solve my problem. :heh: