NEurope
Nintenchris

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

(Dammit, where did this thread come from? This why I don't normally start threads, this happens almost every sodding time. I checked and double checked, I swear, there's a great cosmic internet entity out there who really doesn't like me. Damn you Neo!)

I'm also quite surprised by the game itself, working on the assumption it's not a hoax or what have you. What part of the Beijing Olympics made someone think "A-ha! Mario versus Sonic! Awesome!" Still, I suppose this makes Sonic a dead cert for Brawl. I hope this has online and Miis. Can't wait for the mini game when Sonic and Mario are detained without charge and then tortured for holding beliefs "that undermine the national interests of the people."

Swimming!? Now it's even more bizarre to have Sonic in it! :o

Yeah I was thinking that, knowing that according to Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic can't swim...

Ugh, I so don't want this game to excist. I hope it's a big budget April's fool, despite everything I've read!

Sega cheat, hows anyone supposed to beat a flying fox in the high-jump?

or a supersonic hedgehog in running

or erm, what is it knuckles does again?

Nintendo characters: An overweight plumber. A lanky plumber. A dinosaur...

I guess mario et-all might have some sort of advantage where swimming/weights/fighting are concerned though

Sega cheat, hows anyone supposed to beat a flying fox in the high-jump?

or a supersonic hedgehog in running

Nintendo characters: An overweight plumber. A lanky plumber. A dinosaur...

I guess mario et-all might have some sort of advantage where swimming/weights/fighting are concerned though

Agreed.

Mario will be disqualified as soon as he pulls the mushrooms out, thats if they dont catch him prior to the events with a piss test.

This is awfully fishy.

1. why would they release a game promoting the Olympics, months before they actually happen?

2. why no screenshots? only a slightly shaky looking promo image?

3. and a Multiformat mario games, specificly handheld to console release sounds very un-mario like

unless its a hoax, designed to promote another game rumoured to have sonic and mario in, coming around christmas time?

I can dream

yeah i knew a olympics game would come but bloody hell... I'm sick of mini games and i that's what this will be. Could be interested if they bother to make it on-line and fourplayer split screen

Agreed.

Mario will be disqualified as soon as he pulls the mushrooms out, thats if they dont catch him prior to the events with a piss test.

Just been thinking though, Wario! Now theres al the weight competitions ended right there :p

And probably the throwing and fighting events too; come on Sonic, wrestle Wario. He wont hurt you... :bowdown:

Just been thinking though, Wario! Now theres al the weight competitions ended right there :p

And probably the throwing and fighting events too; come on Sonic, wrestle Wario. He wont hurt you... :bowdown:

Quite true..

Mario hammer throwing ?

I suppose he is the champ as he already did that with Bowser in SM64 (and he's no lightweight).

I still dont fancy Mario and Luigis chances with a piss test though.

This is awfully fishy.

1. why would they release a game promoting the Olympics, months before they actually happen?

2. why no screenshots? only a slightly shaky looking promo image?

1. Well, SEGA probably thinks that it will sell best on christmas market. After all, their license doesn't say *when* they must release their game. :)

2. In case of many 1st party released, it can take months before you see first screenshot (for example, Disaster).

Glide.

Weird news.

wow it's been published by sega, I never thought i'd see mario in a sega game!? This pretty much confirms smash doesn't it. it looks like because nintendo gave sega mario nintendo can have sonic for smash.

wow it's been published by sega, I never thought i'd see mario in a sega game!? This pretty much confirms smash doesn't it. it looks like because nintendo gave sega mario nintendo can have sonic for smash.

Yeah Sega obviously thought the game would not sell purely with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and the other awful additions, Silver, Shadow, Cream etc...

It is a win win situation for Sega, they get the coup of publishing the Olympics game, which will help their cause as a publisher and they get to publish the massive coming together of Mario and Sonic, and what do they give?Yeah sure Nintendo bung Sonic in Smash Bros (which is already gonna sell a shed loads)

One thing about this is I wonder just how many sports this will have, the likes of International Track and Field (the N64 version of this was the last game of this kind I played) seem to concentrate primarly on the Athletics side of things and as such each felt like a fully fletched representation of the sport, rather than a shudder mini game, which a lot of people on here have mentioned, the press release says it includes table tennis, which demonstrates some of the less coveraged Olympic sports making it into the game.

Gaming rivals team up

Mario the plumber and Sonic the Hedgehog, rivals in the video game world for two decades, will team up for the first time in a game based on the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, due in stores this holiday season for Nintendo's Wii console and DS handheld system (prices not yet set), will also include other popular characters such as Luigi and Yoshi (from Nintendo's Mario games), as well as Knuckles and Tails (from the Sonic games), all competing in such summer Olympic events as running, swimming and table tennis.

"This is something we've been talking about for two to three years now but never really had quite the right opportunity," says Simon Jeffery of Sega, which secured video game licenses for the upcoming summer games. "With (that), we started thinking of some way to take advantage of the Wii and DS, and then magic happened."

Rumors of a Mario-Sonic collaboration have been around since Sega quit making video game consoles itself in 2001. Back in 1991, Sega's release of Sonic the Hedgehog provided a much-needed power boost to the Sega Genesis system, then in hot combat with Nintendo.

By that time, Mario was well on his way to appearing in nearly 100 games and selling more than 193 million video games. He first appeared as "Jumpman" in 1981 in the arcade game Donkey Kong. Then in 1985, the game Super Mario Bros. helped fuel the success of the Nintendo Entertainment System and became the top-selling game of all time (40 million worldwide; some came bundled with the NES). That game is credited with helping the video game industry's resurgence after its crash several years earlier.

To catch the attention of the Sega Genesis' target market, a slightly older, edgier consumer, Sega's designers created Sonic with "attitude and speed, to kick things up a notch in the video game character wars," Jeffery says. Eventually, Sonic games sold more than 44 million worldwide and the character appeared in an animated TV series and comic books (Mario also had his own TV series for a time, and a 1993 live-action movie starring Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper bombed).

The new Olympics game, to be designed by Sega with oversight by Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, will make unique use of the Wii's motion-sensitive controller. "It's going to be very interactive and fairly physical," says Jeffery, adding that more will be revealed in coming months.

Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan says the gameplay will involve "something that has not yet been imagined on Wii and DS."

This Nintendo-Sega collaboration is another coup for Nintendo, which has strengthened its hold on the handheld game market with the dual-screened DS and so far outdueled Sony's PlayStation 3 with the Wii.

At Wedbush Morgan Securities, Michael Pachter calls the game "a pretty big announcement" in that the two companies are teaming up on the game and Nintendo is sharing its intellectual property. "You are looking at a genre-widening partnership."

USAToday

Good thing this isn't the London olympics edition, otherwise the whole project would just end up hopelessly overbudget and cost everyone a fortune. Plus, only half of it would be built by the time it was released.

yeah i knew a olympics game would come but bloody hell... I'm sick of mini games and i that's what this will be. Could be interested if they bother to make it on-line and fourplayer split screen

I don't know if I should mention his name, but a certain IGN Writer mentioned online for this game in his blog. I think four player is almost deffinately going to be in there.

I don't know if I should mention his name, but a certain IGN Writer mentioned online for this game in his blog. I think four player is almost deffinately going to be in there.

did he now....

I think some of you were expecting a Mario and Sonic platformer of some sort, but really, this title makes much more sense to me. It is, when you break it down, Wii Sports + Olympics + Mario + Sonic + online. What the hell is not to like about that? This game could very well be the next biggest thing since Wii Sports. Do not downplay its existence. If it is done right, it could be one of Wii's best-sellers of the year.

IGN Blog by a writer a few people seem to hate

yeah that's what i thought when wario ware was annouced for wii. I won't hold my breath anymore

yeah that's what i thought when wario ware was annouced for wii. I won't hold my breath anymore

good point, but surely olympics really is a 4 player (if not more) game?!