• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Probably been mentioned ages ago but I cannot get this song out of my head. The first verse is sublime. I don't think it reaches a 'point' like it could but it's a wonderfully relaxing song.

(Regina Spektor: The call. Featured in the movie Prince Caspian.)

It's almost too cutesy for me. Regina can balance kooky and insane, but she's done better than that song. (While sending out the same feeling)

Anyone listened to Juxx's remix of Stardust's 'Music Sounds Better With You'?

It's up on my blog. I've been sitting on it for a couple days now but I put it on this morning are only then realised how awesome it is.

I'd youtube it but it ain't there.

Guest Captain Falcon
Anyone listened to Juxx's remix of Stardust's 'Music Sounds Better With You'?

It's up on my blog. I've been sitting on it for a couple days now but I put it on this morning are only then realised how awesome it is.

I'd youtube it but it ain't there.

There can't be many people who don't like the original as it's just so catchy, but I wasn't really impressed with that remix -then again, I'm not big on remixes full stop.

Sure, it had a beat, even if that was from the original, but not much else to my mind.

I always find it difficult to like a remix if I've heard the original piece first though I can think of a few exceptions.

EDIT: for some reason Daft, I was finding that it was skipping a little. I updated my quicktime player so I know it was that, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't my comp either.

The Panic Division, one of my favourite bands, have just posted almost all the tracks from their latest piece. Though technically just the work of the front man, Colton Holliday, it's in the same vein as their last album, Songs from the Glasshouse, and that was excellent. There first album was also good, especially the title track Versus, but I do prefer the greater use of electronics that was the basis of the second.

I gave the latest release to a friend to listen to and she just said it was very 80s, and whilst I can see where she was coming from with the heavy use of synth in every track, I still think it sounds really fresh. But I'm sure you lot know numerous bands that sound like these guys, and if so, let me know.

I really hope they hit the big time one day.

There can't be many people who don't like the original as it's just so catchy, but I wasn't really impressed with that remix -then again, I'm not big on remixes full stop.

Sure, it had a beat, even if that was from the original, but not much else to my mind.

I always find it difficult to like a remix if I've heard the original piece first though I can think of a few exceptions.

EDIT: for some reason Daft, I was finding that it was skipping a little. I updated my quicktime player so I know it was that, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't my comp either.

I wasn't that caught me straight off and to be honest, I have no idea how many times it came on from random, but I love it now. The Dirty remix is another remix that really was not clicking until I heard it more than a couple times. I takes me a while to get into anything. :D

I love the original. It really is just perfect. I like hoe the Juxx remix is just bit more chilled.

I've gotten into remixes so much over the past year for quite a lot of them I haven't even heard the original. A bit stupid really. :heh:

If it's a song I've heard and really like I like the variation of remixes but I agree they are rarely better. Like Soulwax's remix of MGMT's 'Kids', I listen to that a lot more now because I've listened to the other one to death.

I downloaded it again on my desktop, playing it on iTunes, I haven't noticed any skipping. Are you sure? I wonder what it is...I hope it's a one off although I'm not sure how it would be. :wtf:

I love remixes that make a song different, while still being good.

Best ones are those that turn into a completely new song, imo. Orbital's remix of Bedtime Story (one of my favourites, and most played song on itunes) by Madonna is excellent, as it turns a trancey, housey, ambient track into an ambient but frenetic song, with an excellent rearrangement.

My god... has anyone else heard that piece of shit that Andrew Lloyd Webber has written for our Eurovision entry? It's really bad. I reckon I could have come up with something better.

That's basically the reason why it's bad.

There's a rumour that System Of A Down could be Armenia's entry this year. As the chaps are Armenian-American they can represent Armenia, and could possibly play a song that could win. Even if they performed "Cigaro" they could win Eurovision.

There's a rumour that System Of A Down could be Armenia's entry this year. As the chaps are Armenian-American they can represent Armenia, and could possibly play a song that could win. Even if they performed "Cigaro" they could win Eurovision.

Eurovision?... They're definitely rubbish enough to win. :heh:

Incorrect: They have too much awesome to even enter the bloody contest.

For example:

"My cock is much bigger than yours!

MY COCK CAN WALK RIGHT THROUGH THE DOOR!

With a feeling so pure!

IT'S GOT YOU COMING BACK FOR MORE!

My shit stinks much better than yours!

MY SHIT STINKS RIGHT DOWN TO THE FLOOR!

With a feeling so pure!

IT'S GOT YOU COMING BACK FOR MORE!

Awes-o-o-o-o-me! :grin:

Eurovision?... They're definitely rubbish enough to win. :heh:

A genuine lol. A rarity, I'll admit.

----

I'm adoring No Need To Argue by The Cranberries. I'd heard how good Zombie is, but never actually heard it. It's really good. Love Dolores O'Riordan's voice too.

*here is where a video qould be posted, but Youtube is being slow*

Bloc Party remixed a Placebo song once. It was an all right remix. They play Bloc Party at Popstarz every week.

PJ Harvey/John Parish Album News

The first review of "A Woman a Man Walked By" has been released. It seem's like this is shaping up to be quite an interesting collaboration indeed!

http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/blogs...w-of-pj-harvey

1 ‘Black Hearted Love’

This song is so bloody good. It kicks in with a kind of Stephen Malkmus drowsy, shoegaze guitar, before Polly’s dusty voice tells a tale of dark, twisted, irrepressible love, ‘I think I saw you in the shadows/I move in closer beneath your windows/Who would suspect me of this rapture?’ It is kind of reminiscent of Uh Huh Her’s ‘It’s You’, meets ‘Stories From The Cities, Stories From The Sea’’s ‘This Is Love’. This is a glorious, dirgey rock track, albeit a misguiding introduction to the rest of the record.

2 ‘Sixteen, Fifteen, Fourteen’

A butchered mandolin strums, with a Celtic sounding drum increasing in volume in anticipation to Harvey’s folktale-style narrative that slips in. Hand claps push towards a full expansive ‘How Soon Is Now’ guitar clang and Polly shrieks in anguish before a spellbound mumbling ensues. It’s a feverishly bewitching track that ends in nightmarish panting. Totally inspired.

3 'Leaving California'

This track picks up from where ‘White Chalk’ left off - Polly, high pitched and otherworldly sings a tale of regret over the top of an early cinema-styled crooked piano twinkling and out of tune acoustic guitars. A lonely, beguiling track that reveals how ‘ California killed me’ and concludes with the echoing, siren-like pondering ‘I think it’s time to leave’.

4 'The Chair'

'The Chair' starts incessant, with Radiohead’s ‘Morning Bell’ styled drumming and wistful questioning from Polly as she sings ‘Where have you gone?’, words that cascade into a whirlpool of layered xylophone, guitars and keys. Before a surreal landscape of MBV vocals slice through and that early cinema-styled piano clumsily falls over the top. A bit of it sounds like when you’re on MySpace and the song on the main player comes on automatically and then you press stop because something else on that band’s MySpace has kicked in and you’re listening to two songs at the same time. But it’s not - it’s just a weird, anarchic fusion of sounds.

5 'April'

Half way through the album now. A muddled, haggard sounding voice trembles like a drunken old hag at the bar looking into her Gin & Tonic and finger wagging about ‘April’ to a cat who she thinks is her brother who got shot once or something. Gospel-like keys chime, and is that a whisp of accordion we can hear? Not sure. ‘April’ is a stylish, saloon-like funeral procession of a song. It’s a tad skippable when you’ve heard it once.

6 'A Woman A Man Walked By' / 'The Crow Knows Where All The Little Children Go'

Oh it’s title track time! The funeral procession is over and PJ Harvey is riddling about a surreal, disgusting and nightmarish ‘woman/man’ who has, ‘chicken liver balls/he had chicken liver spleen/he had chicken liver heart made of chicken liver parts’. The first 10 seconds sound like a distant, tinny version Elbow’s track ‘Seldom Seen Kid’ - that bluesy guitar scratching. Then the track cascades into a League Of Gentlemen-esque situation, a desire driven, hellish scenario with Radiohead's ‘There There’ sounding war drums. PJ Harvey growls, schizophrenically squealing with absurd joy and deranged anger all at the once, as she spits ‘Just to get up your fucking ass!’ Not sure what she’s on about in this one but it’s a gargoylistic monster of a song that slips into it’s second half with unperturbed ease. 'The Crow Knows Where All The Little Children Go', is a kitchen-sink piano instrumental, that sounds like a soundtrack to a princess being chased around a dark forest full of goblins and HER REAL FATHER. Make of that what you will.

7 'The Soldier'

PJ Harvey is back to her feverish nightmare, but this time it sounds like she’s coming out of the other side. A beautiful, simple track which sees Harvey toss and turn, confused in between her dream and reality of being a soldier 'Send me home/Restless/Send me home/Damaged', before we hear the innocent sounds of the Melodica whine melancholically.

8 'Pig Will Not'

Oh don’t put this one on with a hangover. Or do, it depends on how you treat your hangover. A ‘Kamikaze’ crunch of guitars kicks in with gargling wails as Polly adamantly shouts ‘I WILL NOT’, over the top of her confused, schizophrenic other half who repeats it trance-like underneathe. There’s something very ‘Hail To The Theif’ about the incessancy of this track, but with a unique and utterly brilliant sound of Harvey literally barking over the top before she commands the lyrics in her preacher-like tone ‘Hear me and you’ll hear the law! I am your guardian! I am your fairy!’ She’s pissed off in this track I wouldn’t wake her up.

9 'Passionless, Pointless'

When this track kicks in you realise just how incredibly versatile PJ Harvey is. Returning to her sombre, smooth voice, after the lunacy of ‘Pig Will Not’, the vulnerability of ‘The Soldier’ it’s like she has just broken the spell and someone’s let go of the grasp of the choke. ‘Passionless/Pointless/Where does the passion go? There’s no kindness in your hands/No reaching out/For me’, she groundedly sings in a sudden, numb release of pain.

10 'Cracks In The Canvas'

The final track to this album sounds like the start of that All Saints song where they’re like ‘A few questions that I need to know/How you could ever hurt me so..’ or whatever it was, but obviously a lot more chic. As PJ Harvey suicidally whispers ‘Go to sleep’, it sounds like she’s just necked a load of tablets and is slowly falling into a deep sleep she will never wake up from because she is dying, bidding farewell to people she’s loved and speaking to god. Morbid, mesmeric and meticulously melancholic.

I am excited!

Bloc Party remixed a Placebo song once. It was an all right remix. They play Bloc Party at Popstarz every week.

PJ Harvey/John Parish Album News

The first review of "A Woman a Man Walked By" has been released. It seem's like this is shaping up to be quite an interesting collaboration indeed!

I am excited!

The contrast between this and Haggis' posts made me lol.

Looking foward to this, got my ticket to see them.

PJ Harvey & John Parish are

-----------------

I'm re-loving Amy Macdonald's album, after remembering I love the hidden track "Caledonia" (which I think she is releasing soon - feels funny, since it's less than 2 minutes long).

The album is really good for a debut, we all have to admit. Lacks any sort of emotional depth / meaning to the songs / consequence, but its still fun to listen to.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!