N-Europe

Compared to ride the lightning, master of puppets and ...and justice for all then yes it is.
In all, I love it. I prefer the older stuff too, but no need to slag off the Black Album. Compared to Load, Reload and *gasp* St. Anger, it's metal heaven. I find it kind of sad when people start accusing musicians for selling out, to be honest.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

The black album was kinda average imo. I LOVE The Unforgiven but tbh the rest of the album isn't that great and i agree with Bard, Enter Sandman has got to the point that when I hear it a part of me cries.

...AJFA, now that is a beast of an album.

In all, I love it. I prefer the older stuff too, but no need to slag off the Black Album. Compared to Load, Reload and *gasp* St. Anger, it's metal heaven. I find it kind of sad when people start accusing musicians for selling out, to be honest.

Yes, but then, the Backstreet Boys compare favourably to those albums.

The black album was kinda average imo. I LOVE The Unforgiven but tbh the rest of the album isn't that great and i agree with Bard, Enter Sandman has got to the point that when I hear it a part of me cries.

...AJFA, now that is a beast of an album.

Yeah, Unforgiven has some of the best lyrics Hetfield has ever come up with. As for AJFA, I think it's the definitive Metallica album. Mikael Akerfeldt also lists the song "To live is to die" as one of the major factors that influenced his writing. So there you have it. Opeth may not have been as awesome as they are if it wasn't for AJFA :heh:

Yeah, agree here. My exams are spread out over the next week, but it has such a great summer vibe, it makes my mind wander of every time. Wish it was next week.

I really love Viva La Vida, it really shows that Coldplay is capable of doing more than Clocks.

Agree with that, wasn't a massive fan at first but it's really grown on me. Got the album off iTunes today, just getting to the end of my first listen, really liking it a lot. I've always liked Coldplay but never really found many songs I just had to listen to, but this I'm really liking so far.

That's hilarious. The God that failed is pretty bad. There are only three songs on the Black album that are great; Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, and...well, My Friend of Misery, because it has a brilliant solo.

Sad But True is heavy, but also incredibly monotonous and repetitive. Sandman is so damn cheesy it makes me cringe. (Same goes for Fuel btw).

There are some good riffs on that album, but almost every song feels overcooked and samey.

Metallica's best albums in order:

...And Justice for All/ Master of Puppets

Ride The Lightning

Kill 'em All

[/end]

As for Black Album, I agree with what you said, except for the failure to mention Wherever I May Roam, wich is, in my opinion, the third best track in the album, after Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters.

As for the order of album brilliance, I slightly disagree:

Ride The Lightning

...And Justice For All / Master Of Puppets

Kill'em All

Black Album.

Fair enough. There's actually two tracks on Ride that I think are weaker than everything else on Ride/Puppetz/Justice... those being Escape and Trapped under Ice. I also think that Hetfield's voice fully matured on MoP, and it was still a little uneven on RTL. Everything else is fantastic.

I hated Load and Reload when they first came out, my exact words on hearing Mama Said were "they may as well have done a fucking duet with Dolly Parton" and wasn't too keen on the second half of the Black Album.

Now I love them. I would go as far as to say Load is one of the better Metallica albums, controversial as that may be. It just has a much more varied and diverse sound. It alienated a lot of fans, at the time myself included, as it wasn't a thrash album. At least they tried something different unlike Megadeth who's latest album sounds pretty much the same as all the others. And no, I'm not dissing Megadeth, I still think they're awesome.

I still love the first four albums - they're absolute classics, but I think that as I've aged a bit, my musical tastes have evolved too. The only Metallica album I'm not keen on is St Anger, and that's only because it's too samey, they bowed down to the shitty "nu metal" of the time and the production value was even worse than on ...Justice. I mean, what the fuck was that snare drum about??

Yes, I know not many agree with my opinions, but don't bother pointing all the reasons why you think that Load is shite, and how they've sold out cos I really couldn't give a toss.

New Alkaline Trio album = balls

New Slipknot song = win

Well those two I can agree on. Tbh, I don't like Alkaline Trio anyway, so it's obvious that I wouldn't like it. The New Slipknot track is great though, but not as good as some of thier other songs.

As for the new Offspring album, I can see why some people probably won't like it, as it's more experimental and serious that thier other albums. However, I do expect some idiots to start calling them "sell outs" and "emo". ¬¬

As for the new Offspring album, I can see why some people probably won't like it, as it's more experimental and serious that thier other albums. However, I do expect some idiots to start calling them "sell outs" and "emo". ¬¬

Yeah. I know everyone goes on about smash, ixnay, americana etc. They are seriously brilliant albums but theyre all over 10 years old and The Offspring just arnt the same now unfortunately.

I found Jagged Little Pill at the bottom of a box of CD's in my room and thought I'd give it a listen. Apart from a couple of tracks, it didn't really excite me too much on the first listen. After a couple of times though, I'm really getting into it. I'd completely forgotten how much I loved "Ironic".