NEurope

Sgt Peppers is the best Beatles album, no doubt.

Well so I hear. I prefer the Mystery Tour and I think I will prefer the White Album and Abbey Road when I hear them, based on some songs I have heard already.

Edited by ipaul

I've listened to Please Please Me, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Each of them have their own moments and I'm finding it bloody difficult to say "Yes, this one is my favourite Beatles album."

I plan to listen to the others soon. I'm marking Rubber Soul as next, followed by the White Album, then trawl through their earlier stuff and finish on Yellow Submarine.

That's the plan, though. Might end up changed but I dunno... :blush:

The Laura Marling gig tonight might be the best gig I've ever been to...

Her drummer was ill so about 2/3 of the songs were acoustic, and they were 100% better. She's just...wow. The whole thing inspired this feeling:

businessman-lying-on-grass.jpg

I was completely captivated. As in; eyes locked on.

I, too, was genuinely stunned.

She'd open her mouth a crack and this empowered, agéd, knowing voice filled the room and the audience dared not stir.

She is just too wise and travelled for her 20 years. I know who to turn to when judgement day looms.

I am a broken record.

But LCD Soundsystem's leaked new / last album This is Happening is fucking superb. James murphy, love.

Stream it on their site kids!

As long as it sounds nothing like their previous effort, I might give it a shot.

As long as it sounds nothing like their previous effort, I might give it a shot.

I remember you saying you hated Get Innocuous. Evil person :heh:

I remember you saying you hated Get Innocuous. Evil person :heh:

That's right; I really did :heh: It was about double the length it should have been, which is a shame, because if you get past the monotony of the first few minutes there's a decent hook. In hindsight hate might have been a strong word, I just didn't get on with it. And I never did understand why Daft Punk Is Playing At My House was such a big track either, because once again I didn't get on with that track at all. The lyrics wound me up more than anything, and nothing really happened in the song.

That's not to say I'm entirely put off them though. I'll give it a listen at some point and might pop over to the tent to see them at Reading Festival.

Still, take the integrity of this post however you want, for I'm currently listening to The Blueprint 3 so...yeah... :heh:

That's right; I really did :heh: It was about double the length it should have been, which is a shame, because if you get past the monotony of the first few minutes there's a decent hook. In hindsight hate might have been a strong word, I just didn't get on with it. And I never did understand why Daft Punk Is Playing At My House was such a big track either, because once again I didn't get on with that track at all. The lyrics wound me up more than anything, and nothing really happened in the song.

That's not to say I'm entirely put off them though. I'll give it a listen at some point and might pop over to the tent to see them at Reading Festival.

Still, take the integrity of this post however you want, for I'm currently listening to The Blueprint 3 so...yeah... :heh:

But the length is what makes it so gooooooood.

Good for you though :) Long repetitious tracks are what LCD generally do mind.

Whoa, I just went to re-listen to Get Innocuous on my iTouch in its dock and it's not on there. My entire music library is on there. I must really have disliked it to delete it! I'm determined to see if my opinion on the track has changed, bearing in mind it was what, two years ago I gave it a listen? My music taste has changed quite abit since then.

But the length is what makes it so gooooooood.

Good for you though :) Long repetitious tracks are what LCD generally do mind.

This is true. It took me a while to get them. The latest album is pretty much just long repetitive tracks (All but one are over 6 minutes)

Let us know what ya make of it. I love it, Home, I Can Change and All I want are early highlights. The last of which might even top All My Friends, which is moreorless my favorite song evaar.

Going down to glasgow tomorrow night to see OneRepublic, had tickets to see them a couple years back but couldn't go, so looking forward to this big time.

Been listening to a lot of Primus and Tool recently. Antipop and Lateralus have kinda been blaring out of my speakers constantly.

Odd, since I quite reviled Tool back in the day. Is it weird to say that I think I've mellowed to the point where I can enjoy metal that isn't completely in your face brutal? Perhaps; Tool aren't exactly "mellow".

Schism has a fucking inspired main riff.

I think most Tool fans prefer the earlier albums? They seem more raw and energetic, but I'm finding that I quite like the ponderous nature of Lateralus.

Going down to glasgow tomorrow night to see OneRepublic, had tickets to see them a couple years back but couldn't go, so looking forward to this big time.

Alex Gardner (the support act for them) is that shitty who Chair and I knew/know. Give us our opinions when you get back. :)

Got tickets to see Damian Marley and Nas in July (Manchester).

Fucking win. Just gave Welcome to Jamrock a listen it's so good! Love it. Road To Zion could possibly be one of my favourite songs ever.

I need to listen to that. And MGMT still.

After a few weeks of searching I finally got my hands on Andrew Dost - Columbus. Just before I first listened to it I was a bit worried I'd overhyped it and it would disappoint. Boy was I wrong. A wonderfully fun (no pun intended) album.

dostcolumbus.jpg

Its an album based on Columbus' discovering of America and full of catchy hooks and wonderful musicians. As Absolute Punk describe it; "[its a] concept album/musical/just-darn-pleasant ode to Christopher Columbus". Reminds me of Sufjan's Illinoise although I can't really specify why. It just does.

Features vocals from Michael Nau (of Page France and The Cotton Jones Basket Ride), Nate Ruess (of The Format - playing a Native American which just amuses me for some reason), Joel Thiele (of Anathallo), Jessey Lacey (of Brand New) and Chris Fafalios (of Punchline) and Steve Soboslai (of Punchline)

Its fun and silly but an interesting feat. Nowhere else would you find a song about someone trying to convince people the world is round. I learned, I laughed, I cried (or, would if I could). It amazes me how he manages to fit history into such lyrical fun. The group chorsey bits are great; "Hey Columbus, pack a compas, while you're sailing so far from us! It'll help to have direction while the years without you numb us."

Some lines I love; "some say I'm just an idiot vagabond, stubbornly destined to fail." Although I do love "your name is a gift, mine is an anchor. It just ways me down." Exactly how I feel about my real name.

When asked about the purpose of this odd musical odyssey, Dost has only this to say:

"The ultimate goal is to live in a house the exact size and shape of a Blue Whale. It will be made of latex, so as to feel realistic, and the tail will be connected to an exercise bike so that when I pedal, it wags. For showers, I'll just stand above the blowhole."

"But Andrew, what will the neighbors think?"

Here's how they'll think:

"That guy is awesome, he lives in a house the exact size and shape of a blue whale!"

"Yep, he's a whale of a guy."

I'm in fanlove with Dost. He's weird, makes music I love and a wonderfully nice person.

I think this is how Chair feels when he talks about albums. Just that overwhelming joy.

Edited by Ashley

new LCD is the actual tits, forum.

I agree muchly.

I think Dance Yrself Clean is an early favourite for me. I always seem to like the first track from an album these days.

I've never heard a note by LCD Soundsystem, what's their best? (I noticed the new one isn't on Spotify)

---

I impulse bought What About Us? by Brandy because the beat is ear-rific. One of those painfully crunky backing tracks. Quite atonal (is that a word), but sounds great.

All I know about her is that she did a song about a homeless woman that I saw the video for a million times back in 2000 or so.

What about, what about...what a-bout us?!

Blast from the past.

Been running to Hole and Florence + The Machine recently, so high energy and fun! I always slip The Waitress from To Venus And Back at some point during because it's just so stupidly powerful, and is perfect because it lasts for so long, you can get into this amazing zone-y pace.

I've never heard a note by LCD Soundsystem, what's their best? (I noticed the new one isn't on Spotify)

You may have, been featured in a few adverts I think.

That doesn't count though.

I've never known I was listening to them/Never actively sought their music out.