NEurope

Beautiful Dirty Rich is not atrocious in the slighest, I'm sorry but it's just not.

I find it annoying how as soon as someone mainstream looks to be doing something slilghty different, comments like "Oh, it's all so contrived" or "She's trying too hard to be different" are spat out. From watching interviews with her, and seeing her perform it looks perfectly natural to her. That is her style. Also, to be honest the whole "Pop Music Will Never Be Low Brow" thing? It's kind of refresing to hear someone mainstream finally say it. Constantly, I seem to be informed that my musical opinion isn't worth salt, because I listen to pop tarts and such.

Digressing majorly, I read a few reviews that accused her of copying Gwen Stefani. I actually wanted to strange the reviewers. There's millions of crappy pop slags out their, that are never compared and yet once someone comes along that's both mainstream and a little "odd" - she HAS to be copying Gwen Stefani. *sighs*

*claps*

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Beautiful Dirty Rich is not atrocious in the slighest, I'm sorry but it's just not.

You're entitled to you opinion of course, but it's marriage of poor lyrics to music is nonexitant.

I find it annoying how as soon as someone mainstream looks to be doing something slilghty different, comments like "Oh, it's all so contrived" or "She's trying too hard to be different" are spat out. From watching interviews with her, and seeing her perform it looks perfectly natural to her. That is her style. Also, to be honest the whole "Pop Music Will Never Be Low Brow" thing? It's kind of refresing to hear someone mainstream finally say it. Constantly, I seem to be informed that my musical opinion isn't worth salt, because I listen to pop tarts and such.

Coming from someone who listens to every end of the weirdo-performer spectrum, I can tell that her stuff is contrived...not that it's always a bad thing. Often it can add to a performance and whatnot. However, she's letting style rule over substance (from an objective perspective). I'm reserving full judgement until I hear the full album.

I can't talk about your music taste being completely awful or whatever, I listen to many of the same artists and a lot of dance and pop. But I also listen to some very good, thoughtful music too, which I think allows me to tell when pop music works and when it doesn't. Again, I await a full listen of GaGa's album.

Oh and that Roisin Murphy video (Which I have seen before) looked just as "contrived" as the Lady GaGa one I posted. I see no difference whatsoever, video wise.

Ok. :blank:

: peace:

Just found out Antony and the Johnsons would be doing a gig here in April, but it's already sold out. Noooooooooo. =(

*sad face*

You're entitled to you opinion of course, but it's marriage of poor lyrics to music is nonexitant.

Here you make it sound as though your opinion is absolute. Odd.

Yeah, he never normally does that.

Oh, wait..., it's Paj. Silly me.

Just found out Antony and the Johnsons would be doing a gig here in April, but it's already sold out. Noooooooooo. =(

*sad face*

I'd be so pissed of it that happened.

Me and Paj managed to get tickets to see them in June.

:heart:

I'd be so pissed of it that happened.

Me and Paj managed to get tickets to see them in June.

:heart:

You're mean. =(

Overpowered by Roisin Murphy deserved to be the biggest hit album of 2007, but it never did anything chart-wise.

I'm kind of glad, because she'd be ruined if I ever heard her being played by a chav on their phone.

It's the most obviously good, but there are much better on the album.

Relief Next To Me, Knife Going In, Like O, Like H, Burn Your Life Down, Ninteen, Dark Come Soon etc etc

You can't deny Back In Your Head is brilliant.

I love the story of Relief Next To Me. And I have a soft spot for I Know I Know I Know :)

Poor lyrics are poor lyrics any way we cut the cake that is Lady GaGa. ::shrug:

Not saying that poor lyrics can't work, of course they can, but there needs to be some kinda support to the poor lyrics. This applies to songs with a few words or sentences as lyrics too. There's needs to be a balance, if lyrics in themselves don't support themselves.

I find.

I much preferred that vid Haggis posted of her just at her piano singing Poker Face. The strange lyrics reminded me of Tori Amos...it was really great, and showed off her voice much better.

It's her prerogative to do whatever style of music she wishes, of course, I always support that self-expression on someone's own terms. But I can favour/see fault in style and presentation of that expression.

EDIT:

This video (reposted for emphasis)

I do love that performance of her doing PokerFace. She has a pretty damn great voice, it makes me wonder why people seem to suprised that she actually sing live.

Still. I still disagree on the contrived style thing, and the lyrics is something I would discuss now, but I'm off to bed. Another time, I shall attempt to explain my point. :)

--

Katy Perry can sing live. Just to clarify, I am aware she's not exactly wonderful singing high energy songs such as kissed a girl, but acoustically she sounds great.

Thinking Of You Live

EDIT:

This video (reposted for emphasis)

That is literally 700 times better than the studio version - I love when people can actually sing.

That is literally 700 times better than the studio version - I love when people can actually sing.

Her at the same place (Cherry Tree Records) doing Just Dance Live.

But surely videos like the Poker Face one prove she's not the average pop-tart? Or am I the only one with that opinion? Fuck it. I'm going to be like Oxigen for once. My opinion is right. :D

I just found this and I'm not really sure where to put it, anyway it's Alice glass at a gig in Manchester I went to, I just think it's a cool pic. That is all.

n61402827_33850779_1602.jpg

Also love her t shirt lots:

n61402827_33850780_1841.jpg

Stove burns on my hands!

Show them to my friends!

:D

----

But surely videos like the Poker Face one prove she's not the average pop-tart? Or am I the only one with that opinion? Fuck it. I'm going to be like Oxigen for once. My opinion is right.

Who said she was? I never said that and don't think that one bit. She has musical talent all round, and is a musician, something lacking in female mainstream artists these days I must say (mainstream music in general, actually).

It just seems a shame that the Cherrytree performance of Poker Face isn't being sold, whereas Beautiful Dirty Rich is. However, I'm pretty sure that's her concious decision.

What's the bets that Lady GaGa's second album is totally un-mainstream?

_______

All this talk about pop has reminded me of my favourite pop band ever, Dragonette.

Haggis, you'd probably like them.

I Get Around - Dragonette

Anyone discovered cool songs because they have played a particular videogame which it features on?

Recently I have been playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift for the PS3 and there are two tracks I like a lot from it;

Curve: Hell above Water

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S0FhnDCX15E

The Qemists: Stompbox

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MVLCMTJLehA

If anyone could tell me how to post youtube vids in a post because I failed last time.

That UK singles chart makes me want to vomit. Disgraceful how much the r'n'b/hip hop/pop thing is pimped over here. Never ever see rock acts in the charts anymore, and Kings of Leon don't count as they are a british rock group which is like calling Bush an intellectual being, it's just not true. :shakehead What we need is another rock revolution to get rid of this crap that fills the charts nowadays. :heh:

But seriously, the last time a rock act got to the top of the singles charts was years ago. Was either My Chemical Romance or, if they didn't get a UK no. 1, then it was definitely Evanescence.

Well if we don't count Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay or Kings of Leon you are correct.

I hate the charts anyway.

Also Chairdriver Dragonette are fucking mint.

What's the bets that Lady GaGa's second album is totally un-mainstream?

All this talk about pop has reminded me of my favourite pop band ever, Dragonette.

Haggis, you'd probably like them.

I Get Around - Dragonette

Yes! I loved it. Cheers for that Chair. :D

That UK singles chart makes me want to vomit. Disgraceful how much the r'n'b/hip hop/pop thing is pimped over here. Never ever see rock acts in the charts anymore, and Kings of Leon don't count as they are a british rock group which is like calling Bush an intellectual being, it's just not true. :shakehead What we need is another rock revolution to get rid of this crap that fills the charts nowadays. :heh:

But seriously, the last time a rock act got to the top of the singles charts was years ago. Was either My Chemical Romance or, if they didn't get a UK no. 1, then it was definitely Evanescence.

I think it's better when bands don't focus on topping charts, at the end of the day most british bands that do end up shit. They either focus to much on making a great single that they've deviated from their original style, or fame goes to their head and they think they're gods gift and can ship any old shite.

I think it's better when bands don't focus on topping charts, at the end of the day most british bands that do end up shit. They either focus to much on making a great single that they've deviated from their original style, or fame goes to their head and they think they're gods gift and can ship any old shite.

Exactly, it's all about the Album nowadays. I'd rather have 10 great tracks than 2 awesome and 8 filler.

Exactly, it's all about the Album nowadays. I'd rather have 10 great tracks than 2 awesome and 8 filler.

When has it ever not been about the album?

When has it ever not been about the album?

Since I just said it was.

Yeah, serious artists should focus on making the album. Any singles should be merely an afterthought.

Obviously the record company may have more than a hand in how aand in what form an album reaches the shelves in more marketable acts.

----

Ok, Haggis;

I've enjoyed my first listen of The Fame, going back around now, on Just Dance, which is still fun and fresh. Glad I bought the album, it all sounds much better in context. I mean, few of the album tracks match up to the heights of Just Dance and (to a lesser extent Poker Face) except maybe Paparazzi and The Fame, and maybe Boys Boys Boys.

There is a lot of Uffie influence in this album, never a bad thing.

(Uffie being the girl who is most famous for singing on The Party on Justice's first album)

I mean some just feel like well executed filler. Like Love Game. And Beautiful Dirty Rich. It sounds like she thought of the titles before the actual content (In fact i'd bet on it). And it doesn't quite mesh.