NEurope

I've decided to go on a mission of genre hunting. up first, old rock n roll in the vein of fleetwood mac etc from the 80s. Gotta get past the cheese and find out what they were really up to.

Just got Obzen by Meshuggah. Claaaaaasic shit. So many great metal albums already this year...

Listened to "The Lotus Eater" off Opeth's upcoming album and it blows me awaaaay. It's gonna be a good year.

Still listening to Ihsahn though, angL is such a great album.

Just got Obzen by Meshuggah. Claaaaaasic shit. So many great metal albums already this year...

I jokingly am in the mood for metal. Should I get ObZen? I could care less about the vocals, as I've learned that they kinda aren't the point, but Bleed sounds good.

-----

I need some more stuff from Peace Orchestra. I only have the Animatrix mix of Who Am I?

Haha, you like bleed? It's one of the least melodic and one of the most heavy songs on that album, the timings really are really fucking with my head. Not exactly accessible stuff. If you sincerely want to try out some metal, I don't really think Meshuggah should be your first port of call.

Yeah, but that's the whole joke of it.

I'd actually prefer really heavy metal if there were no vocals, I think. Are there any instrumental metal albums? Real metal, not Dragonforce. (If they're instrumental, which I think they are)

Dragonforce are pretty lol. It's not really serious music if you get my drift, they're basically pop music but with shred guitar. Mind blowing guitarists though.

There are some completely instrumental metal albums, but I'm not a huge fan of bands like Pelican, so if you want completely instrumental stuff download these songs:

The Jesters Dance - In Flames

Orion - Metallica

Man Made God - In Flames

At The Gates - Into The Dead Sky

Trivium - The Crusade

To Live is to Die - Metallica

Call of Ktulu - Metallica

Those are the ones that stand out as being most accessible and are great songs imo. There are many others, but metal is a genre that's best to ease yourself into.

I'm quite liking MGMT's album so far ^.^

Not so keen on Hadouken! so far though, doesn't seem to be as good as their mixtape-usb stick-thing from last year

Anyways i rediscovered the joys (and not so joys) of mashups today

Muse vs Britney (wow she was hot once :o)

Strokes vs 50 Cent

There's also a quite good bloc party gwen stefani one knocking around, though i can't seem to find it on youtube...

VivaLaVida.jpg

Just under a month to go, I've heard the two singles and Life in Technicolour (opening track). Sounds very different.

Love that album cover (always loved that painting though), find the band incredibly dull.

------

I love mash-ups! It's like a team-up...

My favourite is probably the Madonna/Gwen Stefani one...it's on youtube somewhere. Check it out.

I hate it when you try so hard not to like music, it ends up coming back to bit you on the arse.

I loathed Ashlee Simpon, purely for the fact she just plain cannot sing live to save her life. I've now found myself addicted to some of the singles she's released. I feel dirty.

Though to be fair I don't feel dirty for liking Outta My Head, I think it's a pretty strange but catchy song. I love the beat.

I ain't freaking!

I ain't faking this!

I ain't freaking!

I ain't faking this!

SHUT UP AND LET ME GO!

I just got The Ting Tings album. I love it.

Is it actually the sex?

I wants it more now...should i buy?

Is it actually the sex?

I wants it more now...should i buy?

It's not actually amazing, but it's still worth having.

From the first couple of listens Great DJ, Thats Not My Name, Fruit Machine and Shut Up And Let Me Go are the only ones that stand out.

Their singles, shockingly enough ;)

Exactly. The rest of the album feels very "albumy", ie. is only good once you've listened to it a few times.

I just got back from All Tomorrows Parties. Of the 3 I have been to it was easily the best.

Highlights:

Seeing Battles twice, and having a quick chat with their (amazing) drummer.

Mono

Worlds End Girlfriend

Iron & Wine

Saul Williams

Envy

& of course... Explosions in the Sky, who played the best live set I have ever seen. It was really hauntingly beautifull.

saw Iron & Wine last week, they are damn good live :)

Anyone else think that Madonna looks like an idiot in that video? Skipping about pretending to be 30 younger than she is and failing completely.

Exactly. The rest of the album feels very "albumy", ie. is only good once you've listened to it a few times.

I 'borrowed' (got sent) the singles from coolness bears ^^ *listens* btw, you checked out operator please chair?

Anyone else think that Madonna looks like an idiot in that video? Skipping about pretending to be 30 younger than she is and failing completely.

I think she looks great actually. I hate her whole style (thins urabn crap), as she's just desperate for hits now, and where she was once trying to be innovative, she now can't be bothered.

I do however think she's silly like attempting to seduce Justin Timberlake.

But no, the video made me like 4 minutes way more, just because she looks surprisingly hot in it.

I have a thing about ageism. There's too much of it in the music business, especially when some of the best music (most of it actualy) from the last few years has come from late 30-50's artists. I'm not judging Madonna for doing "a young" style of music, I'm judging her because the album is shite.

Take a look at Siouxsie Sioux for an example of a fucking kick-ass 50 year old.

I think she looks great actually. I hate her whole style (thins urabn crap), as she's just desperate for hits now, and where she was once trying to be innovative, she now can't be bothered.

I do however think she's silly like attempting to seduce Justin Timberlake.

But no, the video made me like 4 minutes way more, just because she looks surprisingly hot in it.

I have a thing about ageism. There's too much of it in the music business, especially when some of the best music (most of it actualy) from the last few years has come from late 30-50's artists. I'm not judging Madonna for doing "a young" style of music, I'm judging her because the album is shite.

Take a look at Siouxsie Sioux for an example of a fucking kick-ass 50 year old.

Oh Im not talking about her actual physical appearance. I agree she looks fairly attractive, but she looks like an idiot the way she dances.

And the facial expressions she makes...almost looks like if she shows any emotion her botox will stop working or something. :heh:

And the "tick tock" line is irritating.

I like Justin Timberlake though. Hes a pimp.

you checked out operator please chair?

I took one look at the album cover, and knew I loved it.

Have you seen all their videos?

I love the video for Leave It Alone. Like ritual death becomst those who can't fight.