flameboy

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NGamer Cover:

screenshot_177481.jpg

Interview:

First of all, just to relax the diehard fans, will the Wii version of NiGHTS be following the fundamental game mechanics of the original?

Takeshi Iizuka: For those loyal fans that have waiting 11 years for NiGHTS to return, I felt the need to keep the game concept fundamentally the same as the original so that it would be a reminiscent return to their past NiGHTS experience. This way, I could extend my thanks and appreciation for all those fans that waiting all this time for the sequel. To them, I want to say "Thank You" for without their support this project would not be possible. Additionally, we are planning expand on the original to include a variety of new gameplay mechanics that I hope fans new and old will enjoy.

Can we expect any radical gameplay departures from the original?

Takeshi Iizuka: We found that original NiGHTS game was not "user-friendly" as it was often difficult for the player to figure out what to do or where to go next. The sequel is built around a dramatic storyline that will engage the player and guide them intuitively through the adventure.

Will the music in NiGHTS still change based on the mood of the Nightopians?

Takeshi Iizuka: We are very fortunate to have Mr. Hataya, the original music composer from the first NiGHTS game aboard creating the new soundtrack. Since the game structure is completely revamped as we added a lot more game volume, we realistically didn't expect to do the same things we did in the original NiGHTS. We like the mood-enhancing soundtrack feature very much and want to do something very special collaborating with Mr. Hataya. We promised that there will be a lot of new and exciting ideas for "Journey of Dreams".

Will the original's wide range of moves be making a return - and will they rely on motion-sensing controls?

Takeshi Iizuka: Originally, NiGHTS (for Sega Saturn) was released with a very special 3D controller that intensified the flight experience. With the Nintendo Wii, I thought it would be a perfect chance to attempt to recreate that innovative flight experience once again. We're currently designing the game to be played with two control configurations. Our main focus is to design the game to be played with the Wii remote but for those gamers that are more comfortable using a more "traditional-style" controller configuration, they will able to plug the nunchuk into the Wii remote as well.

Grabbing enemies and throwing them around was often the solution to some of the original's more intense battles. Will we still be grabbing foes in the Wii version and if so how will the remote let us throw them around?

Takeshi Iizuka: Unlike other action games - like Sonic for example - where you run around, then stop and encounter enemies to progress through each level, NiGHTS attack schema is designed differently. We originally designed the gameplay around the joy and freedom of flight system which has made NiGHTS a unique gaming experience. The game rule has been expressively created so that touching the enemies is inherit in the design as it doesn't interfere with the natural feeling of NiGHTS' flight system. By "touching" the enemies, NiGHTS can encounter enemies utilizes his special abilities like Touch Dash or Touch Loop. The sequel will utilize the Wii remote to make these actions very intuitive so that the player can easily execute a wide variety of game actions.

Will you be bringing back the 'A-Life' system?

Takeshi Iizuka: The A-life system was a very popular feature of the original NiGHTS game that we've love to include, but we're currently investigating all options.

Christmas NiGHTS cleverly employed the Saturn's internal clock to alter the game world, particularly the weather conditions. Any chance of the Wii Weather Channel being used for some similar effects?

Takeshi Iizuka: What's exciting about the Wii is that it has a lot of great functions that we would like to take advantage of...we have some really special surprises for all!

And what about using Miis?

Takeshi Iizuka: The sequel is being designed around real human struggles. The story is about self-discovery and the belief in oneself. So, we're designing the game around human characters that interact with NiGHTS in the dreamworld of Nightopia.

Does the game use the game engine from Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Takeshi Iizuka: Journey of Dreams is being created from the ground-up and is running on a completely new engine engineered specifically for the Wii. We're finding that there are some very interesting graphical effects and processes that are being merged into our engine. We excited to see how far we can push the hardware this time.

Sonic and the Secret Rings seemed to take a few pages out of NiGHTS' book - putting Sonic 'on rails' for example - and did very well as a result of it. To reverse the situation, are you taking any inspiration from Secret Rings?

Takeshi Iizuka: The inspiration that drives us to make the sequel is appeasing the loyal fan base that has wanted to play a sequel to the original NiGHTS game. We want to make the best game possible so that not only our loyal fans will enjoy it but that we can introduce NiGHTS to a whole new generation of gamers that we hope will fall in love with it like so many have.

We particularly enjoyed facing off against the vicious cat boss Clawz in the original; will there be any giant cats in the sequel?

Takeshi Iizuka: We may not have big cats in particular in our sequel, but we are creating some really fantastic world of Nightmare and fascinating Nightmarens that I am sure you will all enjoy very much. I can't give you any real details, just that there will be a variety of gameplay to entertain you all.

We'd love to have been able to race through levels against friends in the original NiGHTS. Any chance of some multiplayer swooping in the Wii version?

Takeshi Iizuka: We don't have any real details about multiplayer functionality right now, but we are planning many new special features for the sequel.

The character NiGHTS has appeared in just about every Sonic Team game since the game's original release in 1996. There's clearly a lot of affection for the character within Sonic Team, so why the big wait in releasing a sequel?

Takeshi Iizuka: Ever since NiGHTS was released 11 years ago, I've always dreamt of making the sequel , and now I am able to deliver to those you how have patiently waiting so long, a new NiGHTS game! Over the years of my involvement of creating past Sonic titles, neither the market nor platforms seemed right in recreating the sequel...that is until Nintendo released the Wii. So now, it is my chance of saying thank you for all your loyalty and trust. I hope you will love "Journey of Dreams" as much we do making it!

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162369&site=ngm

That actually looks pretty horrid.

Not really. When you are actually playing, camera isn't so close to scene, and you won't even pay any attention to certain textures. This is common practice in car games such as GT and Forza, and even F-Zero GX uses same tactic. Textures beyond cars are very simple, because nobody pays attention to them when he is playing the game. Game will look probably pretty pleasant when its running 60 FPS.

Maybe you can play the reverse... instead of helping the children in their dreams you can destroy their dreams as Reala (I think she's red and black)! (That would be fun!:p )

MUUUUUUWWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Excellent, hope there is an option to do that from the start.

Guest Jordan

Well the upside of NiGHT's is, the gameplay is extremely fast... so don't worry too much about background textures.

Looks pretty good, but I wish people would stop releasing so-called 'screenshots' with impossible resolutions.

I hope there's good use of blur and bloom effects in this game; this is one title where comparative overuse of filters actually makes sense.

Well first of all NiGHTS is never that zoomed in, in game. I dunno why they insist on these closeups showing ever bit of non-detail on the characters, when you spend the entire game looking at the model a fifth of that size.

But yeah, the screens are underwhelming from other standpoints aswell, but I'm confident it'll look better eventually.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!