N-Europe

PSP 'Lite' on the way!

Retro_Link

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7027/1/Sony_Confirms_New_PlayStation_Portable

Industry News | Sony Confirms New PlayStation Portable

Amidst rumours on the matter, finally a piece of fact has wormed its way to the surface from Sony HQ. Indeed it looks like a rival to the DS Lite is on the way! GamesIndustry.biz is reporting that Sony's UK managing director, Ray Maguire, has confirmed a redesigned PlayStation Portable is currently being worked on. According to Maguire a "smaller, lighter" version will launch in the future, similar to how the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were both re-designed later into their respective lifespans.

But Maguire was keen to note that the PSP's screen size will not be changing, making you wonder just how Sony can make it smaller. Currently the basic PSP pack costs £149.99, but it is thought that a reduction in component costs could mean a cheaper price to combat Nintendo's own redesigned portable, the DS Lite (£99.99).

No release date was discussed, but be sure that Cubed³ will keep you updated as soon as any developments arise...

I don't think this is something Nintendo need to worry about!

The DS is already WAY out in front, has a MASSIVE userbase and games catalogue!!

Also like the articles says, if the screen is staying the same size it won't change much anyway!

Maybe just a 'slighty' different look and maybe a change to the 'analogue'. Maybe get rid of the UMD player?

I think the main reason for the new model is for Sony to get the component costs down and it will effectively just be a price drop!

I've heard that it will still going to use UMD. It hasn't been so much confirmed though more that at some point it will be released. Rumour has it that it will be revealed at the new style E3.

Remember reading somewhere that it will have built in flash memory and there are even rumours it could have a touch screen.... I'll try and dig up the link for that.

EDIT:

Here's the link:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/rumor-no-denying-it-psp2-is-coming-242845.php

The redesigned product apparently does exist as this is what we've heard so far:

* The screen is gorgeous

* The loads are faster

* Improved buttons

* Internal flash — 8GB

* Possible touch-screen

* Possible built-in camera

* Uses UMD

Guest Jordan

Yeah, this is completely impossible. And that thing about storage? Why would Sony stop people from buying larger memory cards that they make? Wheres the sense in that?

Also yeah, wrong board.

I'd rather have my Vision:M. My friend has a PSP and all he uses it for is music and videos, and mine does it a hell of a lot beter. I mean fair enough there will be a few good games for it, but it just doesnt appeal to me.

I take both my handhelds with me sometimes. I've got plenty of games for each and I think 5 hours is plenty of time to have when going around the place for the day. Can't miss out on good portable gaming.

PSPs comes with games and stuff (bit like the 360 does now) for the normal price.

Good games don't appeal to you?

Well, it's more the fact that there really are none on PSP, especially that I can't already get on a home console, because lets face it, noone uses a PSP and it's frankly pathetic battery life as a portable.

Well, it's more the fact that there really are none on PSP, especially that I can't already get on a home console, because lets face it, noone uses a PSP and it's frankly pathetic battery life as a portable.

I do, plenty of times. Don't see anything wrong with 5 hours. And I'd have to disagree with the PSP having no good games. That's just totally bollocks. While some franchises might be on a home console, some are not. I don't see no DJ Portable Max on the PS2. Oh and Lumines is still the best on the PSP. It looks alot better and even has the missing songs that for some reason plus decided to get rid of. Damn them for removing thje awesome japanese language.

I think my next PSP I'm going to get is Valhalla Knights, looks like a great little RPG.

Like I say I can't see how the PSP has no games. I know I own a fair amount of games for the system and I can easily say most of them are good.

Oh of course, there are plenty of good games now on PSP, and I would buy one, but I just don't want to own 2 portable consoles. I agree with you about people saying there are no good games for it. There wasn't for quite a while when it came out, but now with the Lumines games, Tekken, Ratchet and Clank etc. it has a decent library.