Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

HD Today - is it really necessary right now?

david.dakota

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong

That's a shame. You'll always be wrong if you refuse to listen to anyone else :(

1. It's not NEEDED.

2. Yeah...it's not that expencive anymore. (That wasn't sarcastice)

3. It doesn't make a MAJOR difference i'd say; it does improve the picture quite a bit, but not majorly, things mainly just seem crisper.

no it is not necessary now.

i'm 28 yr old professional earning a good salary yet i can't afford to buy a new HD TV and i don't intend to for at least 3 years. My Standard Panasonic 28 inch tv is only 2 years old and I don't intend to change it anytime soon.

Think of all the kids, teenagers, students, and newly grads - not many of them will have a HD tv. As said before those that are buying 360 and PS3 and have HD ready TV is an elitist crowd. These people obviously like spending their money on the latest hi tech equipment. They most likely have some surround sound set-up as well.

For now, this is not the big market.

1. It's not NEEDED.

Not to some. But no one can honestly say it doesn't make a rather large difference to the whole experience :)

2. Yeah...it's not that expencive anymore. (That wasn't sarcastice)

Okay.

3. It doesn't make a MAJOR difference i'd say; it does improve the picture quite a bit, but not majorly, things mainly just seem crisper.

I'd say it makes a major difference. But it's a matter of opinion I suppose.

Not to some. But no one can honestly say it doesn't make a rather large difference to the whole experience :)

Okay.

I'd say it makes a major difference. But it's a matter of opinion I suppose.

Yeah....I'm hoping to get a 26" or so sometime this year, as my TV's not got a very good picture anymore, which you can see quite well playing videogames. I need a job still 1st though, and a 360 comes 1st too.

I do think they make quite a difference, iand it does depend how you take "majorly". After a few times of playing CoD on my mates normal TV and then playing on his new HD really showed the difference.

Even playing Melee on the living room HD through composite cables you could see a difference, only the sharpness obviously, though other parts looked fuzzy & crap due to rubbish cables:heh:

Yes, Wii looks shit on HDTV's and it shouldnt.

No, Wii looks shit on YOUR and similar HDTVs.

*fixed*

But, Sony and Microsoft are right about one thing: HD is the future of gaming. Theres just the problem that that future isn't for at least a few more years.

QFT. In 3/4 years, okay. In 2006, no. And by that time, the next generation consoles talk should have already started.

In the age of console sex, I'd say 'yes - absolutely'. You have to be able to see what you are doing. Otherwise, its like doing it with the lights off... but I know some of you like it that way

You're all acting as if the graphics that Wii is able to perform are bad. Can developers and publishers show what they want to show, and do they find it aabsolutely necessary for a character to have a micro-pixel sized color shade on their cheeks?

It's more about how they show it then with what they show it. it's about styl,e immigration and emotions. If you are connected to the game you don't look at the graphics. If they do bother you, the game is just bad. Check Super Mario Galaxy - that looks great, no matter what. In three or four years Nintendo will have the next gen ready, cheap and with heaps of developers ready to do it on a not-too-expensive way. So, why not get heaps of developers aboard now, advertise for the big public (using the wife-o-meter) and get loads of people on board without them really realizing what HD is, yet? And after that, we're going to go for betetr visuals, but cheaper. The hardware will be cheaper by then and, by then, that generation can't graphicly enhance anymore - Ultra HD is not for today nor tomorrow and it's too realistic, it makes you sick. So what are Sony And Microsoft pulling of next generation?

It's good Nintenbdo halted a generation that's not ready yet. The big public will enjoy cheap HD in a few years from now on WiI2 and microsoft and Sony will be stuck with their processing power consoles not knowing wht update to do next.

Very good points Jasper. Seeing Mario Galaxy and to a lesser extent No More Heroes and Metroid Prime 3, I don't see how anyone could say that the Wii's graphics are bad, as if they're some punishment to look at. It's not PS3/360 quality, but come on, that doesn't make them ugly. Not even close to ugly even.

does it depend how far you're viewing from? I know Wii looks shit and blurry on my HD if I'm viewing it way up close (lol, it's not my eyesight). If I'm sitting back at the distance I'd watch a movie from, it looks perfectly good.

hmm thats wierd, it looks shit on MY Sony, MY old Samsung and MY friends LG.

Fixed.

Sony's joint venture with Samsung

The production part of the plant -- totally run by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. -- towers like a futuristic city over vineyards and farms, a sprawling complex of glass and steel that includes high-rise dormitories, tennis courts, a cafeteria, exercise gym and clinic for the facility's 4,000 workers.

Sony has but a tiny presence in the 50-50 joint venture, called S-LCD Corp. -- just 20 people tucked away in offices in a corner of the complex. They mainly oversee coordination with Sony's Tokyo headquarters.

Sony's reliance on Samsung to produce the display panels shows how far behind the Japanese company, once the industry's king, has fallen in the booming flat-panel TV market -- and why it has been bleeding red ink while the South Korean company's profits soar.

The two companies are normally rivals, but Sony invested $1 billion in the joint venture because it did not produce its own liquid-crystal display panels, and desperately needed to meet the surging demand for flat-panel TVs, a product that Sony officials concede they never expected to become popular so quickly.

Thanks to this factory in southern South Korea, though, Sony can obtain 30,000 sheets a month of "mother glass" for liquid crystal displays -- half of the plant's capacity and enough for 360,000 32-inch TVs a month. The other half goes to Samsung.

Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05340/616231.stm

Basically the reason for the joint venture was that Sony hadn't got the technology to keep up anymore, funny how you pay more for a Sony TV than a Samsung when the technology is Samsung and they are done in the same factory.

As for LG... LG is just low end, as far as I know.

EDIT:

I'm just wondering, could it be that the Wii's output was designed to work best with Panasonic TV's? (The sensor bar design suits their main range, too)
Not really, it's the upscale chips that are actually good for a change, that's usually the first corner manufacturers cut.

Panasonic and Sharp are expensive as hell, they have state of art there.

A good upscale doesn't give off better image or detail, but it keeps that quality; problem is in a lot of HDTV upscaling looks like crap, it looses alot of quality.

IMO if a HDTV does turn a SD TV transmission (480i), DVD's (etc) intro crap it's just not worth it; Since we don't have HDTV transmission here in portugal I see that a lot in stores, HDTV's giving of a horrible image of what looks ok on a regular TV (lot's of grain for example) that's no good; buying a HDTV to see TV worse than before.

As for a model I'd recommend under that price... Recently I was surprised by the quality of a Philips CRT HDTV (thin):

-> http://www.evo-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=141296&sid=54d02add478150f59a215f26bfb5933b

Should cost £400/600€ and since it's CRT it doesn't even need a upscale chip, it simply changes it's resolution.

I'm just wondering, could it be that the Wii's output was designed to work best with Panasonic TV's? (The sensor bar design suits their main range, too)

Nintendo and Panasonic are quite close, but a signal is a signal. It sends the same signal to a Sony as to a Panasonic, so it just depends on how good the telly interprets it.

GameCube had HD support, too, it just wasn't used. It's not on the later models anymore - but if you have an early one you might have noticed the 'digital out' - that's High Definition. But neither the Xbox nor the GameCube could spur out 720p or 1080p - don't even remotely think so. There's a significant reason why the 'HD'-consoles are so expensive.

There you go assuming things again, Jasper!

The Xbox console provides the following selections: 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

...taken from this support page on microsoft.com.

You're right about older Gamecube's (manufactured before May 2004) having a digital out socket. But it supported a maximum of 480p, and then, only in titles that supported it. And according to an article I read in EDGE a bit back, 480p isn't considered true HD.

Now let's quit talking about this. It's starting to get annoying to read all the threads on graphics all over again with no valuable arguments given anymore.

:indeed: If threads like this annoy you then don't read them. It's as simple as that.

hmm thats wierd, it looks shit on MY Sony, MY old Samsung and MY friends LG.

Fixed.

Maybe we have different quality standards or maybe you're watching your TV too close as BGS said. I watch mine 3/4 meters away and with component cables in progressive scan it looks just great.