NEurope

It's not quasi-widescreen, it's widescreen nonetheless, it just has underscan, just like Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Excite Truck, Eledees, etc.

Underscan is meant for widescreen CRT's as it wouldn't be displayed; on LCD's it's the contrary. (in short, there should be a option to toggle between one and the other, but instead developers choose one or the other)

Still... it's true widescreen.

It's not quasi-widescreen, it's widescreen nonetheless, it just has underscan, just like Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Excite Truck, Eledees, etc.

Underscan is meant for widescreen CRT's as it wouldn't be displayed; on LCD's it's the contrary. (in short, there should be a option to toggle between one and the other, but instead developers choose one or the other)

Still... it's true widescreen.

So what's the deal with games that do fill the screen on an LCD, like Wii Sports, Zelda, Galaxy, etc... when played on a widescreen CRT? Do they have part of the picture cutoff then? If not, what's the point of this underscan malarkey? ::shrug:

See I always thought the borders on the games you mentioned were just there for an easy fix to any frame rate issues. :hmm:

So what's the deal with games that do fill the screen on an LCD, like Wii Sports, Zelda, Galaxy, etc... when played on a widescreen CRT? Do they have part of the picture cutoff then? If not, what's the point of this underscan malarkey? ::shrug:

See I always thought the borders on the games you mentioned were just there for an easy fix to any frame rate issues. :hmm:

Supposedly, yes; that's the reason to underscan to exist in theory. These games that supposedly get cut off... but they should be clever enough to not put the HUD in the borders, for example.

I honestly play in a CRT TV and never noticed anything cut (this said eledee's, Excite Truck and the like indeed don't have any vertical bars on the sides on my TV)

In practice and in games could be to have a few extra cycles rendering a slighly smaller frame; I guess.

Ah, I play on a large CRT and have notice on the Wii menus, when hovering over the 'next age arrow' a little is cut off... never noticed it in game, but thats the reason, eh. Nintendo assumung everyone will have LCD TV (of which most are HD...;) )

Why do you guys worry so much about bars that are at the most 5 mm wide...? Or 5 mm cut-offs for that matter?

but they should be clever enough to not put the HUD in the borders, for example.
You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Why do you guys worry so much about bars that are at the most 5 mm wide...? Or 5 mm cut-offs for that matter?
I wouldn't call it worry, more like curiosity. And we're talking about more than 5mm here too, for example:

etclosedl0.jpg

Excite Truck has 5mm borders on the top and bottom plus 10mm on either side, yes I measured them :heh::

etfullye4.jpg

Umbrella Chronicles has no borders on the top or bottom, but 20mm on each side!:

refullif0.jpg

But the reason I'm so interested in this seemingly irrelevant issue, is that when you take in to consideration that a game like Mario Galaxy can look as good as it does yet still be displayed so it completely fills the screen, it makes me wonder as to why not all Wii games can do the same.

And lets face it, one of the most important things when selling / buying TV's (other than picture quality) is screen size. So, when you're suddenly losing like 1.5 or 2 inches of display, you kind of want to know why.

Nintendo assumung everyone will have LCD TV (of which most are HD...;) )

Um... no. The bars are noticeable in LCD/Plasmas and not on CRTs. That's what we've been saying all the long lol.

Now my misinformation about the game's presentation has been resolved, I'm good old hyped again.

Haven't touched this game on PS2, but it's supposedly a Zelda beater. This should be awesome.

Now my misinformation about the game's presentation has been resolved, I'm good old hyped again.

Haven't touched this game on PS2, but it's supposedly a Zelda beater. This should be awesome.

In my opinion it's close to a Zelda beater, but doesn't quite get there! Probably because i'm (like many others on here) a HUGE Zelda fan.

It's a amazing game though, definately one of the best adventure games you play...

I'm quite far into the PS2 version, i suppose it be stupid to stop playing that and buy it on the Wii now? Money committing i might, you know...

To me, it looks better without the filter for some reason, more bold etc..

Really looking forward to this as I never played the PS2 version!

Bad Kav, bad! Haha

Really looking forward to this as I never played the PS2 version!

Nor me! But then I never owned a PS2, so I guess in some ways that's benefiting my Wii experience.

Redshell i think i've asked you this before but what cables etc..are you using for that TV? Your picture quality always looks really good!

I'm buying this game purely for its art style and setting.

Me aswell. It looks fantastic. Hope the controls work well.

Yea same here. Never really got round to this on the PS2 but after reading about it and seeing some screens, it got me sold right away.

The style looks fantastic and it would make a great game to add to my collection. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I only recently found out this is coming out for Wii! :) and now i'm excited i never got to play it on the PS2 and is one of the games imost wanted to get a port to Wii :D

Redshell i think i've asked you this before but what cables etc..are you using for that TV? Your picture quality always looks really good!
Just the official component cables and some time spent calibrating the TV with this guide:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-calibration.html

I think a lot of it is just down to Panasonic LCD's having pretty good handling of standard definition material. I actually chose my TV after seeing that Nintendo were using the same model to demo Wii at events. :hehe:

Just the official component cables and some time spent calibrating the TV with this guide:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-calibration.html

I think a lot of it is just down to Panasonic LCD's having pretty good handling of standard definition material. I actually chose my TV after seeing that Nintendo were using the same model to demo Wii at events. :hehe:

I thought so, it looks really good! Whats the model Number of that TV mate?

I thought so, it looks really good! Whats the model Number of that TV mate?
TX-26LXD60.

It's discontinued now though, and has been replaced by the TX-26LXD70.

: peace:

TX-26LXD60.

It's discontinued now though, and has been replaced by the TX-26LXD70.

: peace:

Book marking this for the future...OMG its 700 quid! I could spend my loan on it and just not eat for awhile...

Actually is there a 32 inch version of this? Can't let my friend beat me.

Book marking this for the future...OMG its 700 quid! I could spend my loan on it and just not eat for awhile...

Actually is there a 32 inch version of this? Can't let my friend beat me.

I want more pics Redshell! Can i see the lovely Mario Galaxy on it, please? If you have some free time (and prefer) please send me some of them via PM? : peace:

I love seeing peoples set-up's etc...:D

I know you guys are lovin’ the Okami Wii goodness right now. It’s about to get even better because we’ve got a fresh build coming your way next week. You might have noticed the aspect ratio was a little off. We did too, and the build you’re receiving will display in full 16:9 (no black bars on the sides). Now you’ll get to experience the game the way it was intended to be seen. Your screenshots should look better too.

Matt Cassawhatsaitacalled's Blog.

Good news that it has proper widescreen.

It is really awesome, it was one of the best games I played on the PS2. It really does come close to beating Zelda.

Rumour has it the Euro version was delayed till August. I read this on the Gamespot forums, but can't confirm.