NEurope

Mark this one as a rumour for the moment but we've heard that Capcom US is looking to bring the beautiful Okami to Wii. You can colour us excited at the prospect of using the Wiimote to control the game's innovative magical paintbrush.

Since Okami was released on PS2 last year in the States, it's been apparent that Clover Studio's epic game and the Wii seemed to go hand in hand, thanks to Nintendo's motion sensing controller. However, today a reliable industry insider unaffiliated with Capcom told us that the company is seriously considering creating a Wii version and may even be working on it as we speak.

However, when we asked Capcom UK for confirmation of Okami's move to Wii we got this response: "Officially we have no plans for Okami on Wii at this time. Research and development are always looking at possibilities but given Clover is now closed for business, I think it highly unlikely a Wii version would be possible."

So there you have it - officially it's not happening but it's by no means a flat-out denial. And even with the closure of Clover Studios it wouldn't be that difficult for a team to port it across, particularly when you consider a lot of Clover staffers went back to Capcom after the studio's closure.

We'll keep you updated with any further news.

IGN

That would be so very awesome. That would bring up my tally of great Wii games up to 2.

Technically none of my virtual console games count :heh:

But yeah, I'd really love to see this come out for Wii. Seems a perfect fit.

It would be good but they would have to add some extra stuff in even if it was a documentary about them porting it to the wii and character art. In order for me to purchase it again.

So a 'rumour' yeah? Along with the god knows how many about this game since it was pretty much announced.

It's £24.99 at Gameplay.com btw people. Surely it's more in everyone's interest to save £15 and just not have waggle paintbrush.

'More games the merrier etc etc'.

I would rather prefer a game with the same formula as Okami...It is too many ports of PS2 games for the Wii right now

I went and bought the PS2 version today as well *sigh* sod's law is a horrible thing.

I've actually considered getting a PS2 just for this, it looks so good..would love this coming to the Wii and it seems an ideal game to do such.

Capcom owe us for their ridiculous recent comments. Bring Okami to the Wii and see how quickly it will sell. We will prove to them that the market is there.

Capcom owe us for their ridiculous recent comments. Bring Okami to the Wii and see how quickly it will sell. We will prove to them that the market is there.

You mean the stuff they said, which is probably true, that the media managed to turn against them by making it sound 1000 times worse?

Anyway, when I read about the gameplay for Okami, I thought it would suit the Wii more than the PS2. The brush thing just sounded perfect for the Remote.

well the ps2 version looks beautiful. Would awesome to another good game on Wii, after zelda and you know....yeah...

its good news one one hand as it is a great game. on the other hand it is old and will be another PS2 port.

They could always try and make a prequel or a sequel

What is Okami. Describe it in 17 words please.

Fantastic Innovative Action Adventure Game Just Fantastic/Fantastic Innovative Action Adventure Game Just Fantastic/Fantastic Innovative Action Adventure Game Just Fantastic.

Thats all you can simply say but in one word: Beutiful

What is Okami. Describe it in 17 words please.

Ōkami has the player controlling the main character, Amaterasu, in a paintbrush style, cel-shaded environment, which looks like an animated Japanese ink-illustration. The gameplay style is a mix of action, platform, and puzzle gaming genres, and has been noted by many reviewers to have numerous similarities in overall gameplay style to The Legend of Zelda series. The main story is primarily linear, directed through by Amaterasu's guide Issun, though numerous side quests and optional activities allow for the player to explore the game world and take the story at their own pace.

Unique to Ōkami is the Celestial Brush. Players can bring the game to a pause and call up a canvas, where the player can draw onto the screen using the left analog stick to control the Celestial Brush. This feature is used in combat, puzzles, and as general gameplay. For example, the player can create strong wind by drawing a loop, cut enemies by drawing a line through them, or create bridges by painting one amongst many other abilities. These techniques are learned through the course of the game by completing constellations to release the Celestial Brush gods from their hiding spots.

Combat is staged in a ghostly virtual arena, and Amaterasu can fight enemies using a combination of weapons, fighting techniques, and brush methods, to dispatch the foes. At the end of combat, money (as yen) is rewarded to Amaterasu, with bonuses for completing a battle quickly and without taking damage. The money can be spent on numerous items from merchants across the land, including healing goods, better weapons, tools, and key items for completing quests. The money can also be used to buy new combat techniques at dojos through the land. Additionally, rare Demon Fangs can be earned through combat which can be traded for additional, unique items that are beneficial in gameplay but not required to complete the game.

By completing quests, side quests, and small additional activitives (such as making trees bloom into life, or feeding wild animals), Amaterasu earns Praise, which can then be spent to increase various statistics of the character, such as the amount of health and number of ink wells for Celestial brush techniques.

The art in Ōkami is highly inspired by Japanese watercolor and wood carving art of the Ukiyo-e style, such as the work of Hokusai.

Awards

Ōkami was on several major media outlet's top games for 2006 winning many awards.

* Game Informer: October 2006 Game of the Month

* PSM: 2006 Game of the Year

* IGN

o 2006 Overall Game of the Year

o 2006 Adventure Game of the Year (Overall and PS2)

o 2006 Best Artistic Design (Overall and PS2)

o 2006 Best Story (Overall and PS2)

o 2006 Most Innovative Design (Overall and PS2)

o October 2006 Game of the Month

* Game Revolution: Best game of 2006

* Electronic Gaming Monthly: September 2006 Game of the Month

* GameSpot: Best Graphics (Artistic) of 2006 [3]

* Gametrailers Best PS2 game of 2006

* Japan Media Arts Festival: Grand Prize of 2006 (10th, Entertainment Division) [4]

E3 2005 Awards

Ōkami was revealed to the world at E3 2005, and received several awards from its presentation:

* 1UP.com: Best PS2 Game, 2nd Best Game of Show, 3rd Best Action Game

* GameInformer: 1st Billy's Top 10 Favorite Games of E3

* GameSpy: 5th place overall

* G4TV's X-play: Most Original Game

* IGN: Best PS2 Game of Show, runner-up for Best of Show and Most Innovative Design

After reading up on this game on Wikipedia I will personally fly to Japan and port the game for Capcom on my own if they don't do it.