Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Manhunt 2

ZeldaFreak

Inmates throwing shit and pissing on you? Sounds great. :D

Nothing like stereotyping mental institutions...

I agree though sounds great fun.

I wonder if trying to suffocate someone with a bag of excrement was the final straw for the BBFC ?

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like stereotyping mental institutions...

I agree though sounds great fun.

I wonder if trying to suffocate someone with a bag of excrement was the final straw for the BBFC ?

Or ripping someones balls-off may have tipped them over the edge.

Theres no denying the game is sick, and your right stereotyping Mental institutions is rather bad, but i think it's just to add to that realism and horror aspect. :)

I think as it's a game, it's ok. Thats my view anyway. Like i said before, if it was a film (which could be made extremely realistic these days) i may have said it's gone a little too far.

I hate to say it, but i am really looking forward to playing this for the horror element etc..and obviously to see how shocking it is, but like many healthy people playing it, whatever happens in the game, stays in the game.

I think as it's a game, it's ok. Thats my view anyway. Like i said before, if it was a film (which could be made extremely realistic these days) i may have said it's gone a little too far.

Well, in Silence of the Lambs Miggs does throw semen at Clarice Starling's face. They might have got their inspiration from there.

News:

We recently had the chance to play the now-M-rated Wii build of the game, and while it's mechanically identical to its earlier self, some cosmetic differences have been introduced.

Rockstar demoed two levels from the latest version of Manhunt 2 - one we had seen before and another completely new to us.

(...)

The content may be too much for some to stomach, but the presentation is well done regardless. Manhunt 2's storyline is made more believable with realistic voice acting, atmospheric camera angles and pans, and moody transitional effects. There's even some comedy thrown in for good measure.

(...)

[spoilers] Manhunt 2's new M rating does not appear to have any bearing on these sequences, as they look and play exactly as they did when we first saw them so many months ago. Indeed, the majority of main gameplay functions are intact, violence, gore and all. If Danny beats a hunter with a mace, the carnage will play out uncensored, and blood will splatter onto the main character's clothes.

But there have been some unfortunate content omissions, too. When we first wrote about Manhunt 2, we referenced a particularly nasty death sequence, in which Danny could use a pair of pliers to literally rip the testicles off a hunter. That murder has been completed removed from the updated build of the game. Not a big deal for us, as it only amounts to one kill out of dozens.

(...)

The biggest and most disappointing change relates to the major death strikes. When Danny sneaks up on an enemy, gamers can hold the A button down, at which point they will be given the option to pick from three different murder animations (on Wii, they get to act them out with Nintendo's motion-sensitive controllers). In the AO-rated build of Manhunt 2, we could clearly see these over-the-top and horrific animations. In the M-rated version, Rockstar has added both an extreme blur effect and in most cases darkened the graphics so that it is nearly impossible to make any sense of what is going on. Players will be able to see character movement, blood splatters, and sometimes they may catch a glimpse of an identifiable action (for example, Danny jamming nails into the legs of a chair-bound opponent), but mostly it's guesswork - a garbled, motiony mess that's far less satisfying. This truth is doubly unfortunate because both everything else is unchanged and because these death strikes are what gamers will want to work toward; they're the pay off for a job well done, but now the pay off is not nearly as rewarding.

(...)

The first time we played Manhunt 2, everybody in the office was very outspoken one way or the other about the grotesque Wii-motion-enhanced kills. (On-screen cues tell players to jab left or right with the Wii remote, to pull up or down with both controllers, etc., and only after the gestures are made does the animation continue.) Onlookers were crying out and laughing and several people were in awe of the game's brutality. But with the updated build, we couldn't fully identify what was going on. We could see movement and hear disgusting noises, but if Rockstar had told us Danny had just decapitated a hunter or strangled him instead, we'd have to take its word for it. Not to suggest that these sequences are completely ruined - they aren't. They're still fun to perform and some of the animations - especially when they're in well-lit rooms where more of the movement can be recognized - are still satisfying and entertaining.

(...)

Manhunt 2 is scheduled for an October 31 release date on Wii, PlayStation 2 and PSP. The Wii build of the game will feature a few extras, including some unique weapons and more blood splatter, not to mention the gesture-based controls (which generally work very well), but otherwise the content is the same. Rockstar's title may have dropped the AO label and toned down the presentation of death strikes for an M rating, but this blood-soaked effort is still one of the grossest and most disturbing titles we've ever seen. It's also fun, thanks to usually-tight control and an abundance of dark atmosphere. We're going to join the hunt this Halloween and with the handful of extras on Nintendo's system, we're going to do it on Wii.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/819/819465p1.html

I dunno, having already played the PS2 version and not being impressed by it, I'm not so sure anymore. Plus this thing that can't even see the killings now? You can't see the main point of the game? I'll wait to read a couple more opinions from other sites and magazines. NGC did give it 92% and I tend to agree with them for the most part of the last 10 years, so.... we'll see.

will the netherlands still get the original one?

If the rating boards that banned it don't change their minds with the M-rated version then France, Norway, Italy and the Netherlands (I think all of them accepted the Pegi 18 rating) may get the uncut version. If the cut version is allowed, then they may just release the one version.

Most likely. Games are very rarely translated to Dutch. Only Beyond Good & Evil and some EA-games like BurnOut spring to mind, and you could chose in what language you played, so purely optional.

So, if the Netherlands would get a uncut version, the game would be in English text and voice-overs. Maybe a Dutch-only manual, but not even that's a given.

But there have been some unfortunate content omissions, too. When we first wrote about Manhunt 2, we referenced a particularly nasty death sequence, in which Danny could use a pair of pliers to literally rip the testicles off a hunter. That murder has been completed removed from the updated build of the game.

Damn was looking forward to ripping somones nuts off!

I want the uncut version! : peace:

What are the odds of an uncensored version coming out? The MPAA allows rereleases with more (explicit) content under the same rating, don't they? Don't know how this would translate to the gaming industry though, seeing as we don't have "theatrical" releases.

• 4 weeks later...

Well thats it then no UK release....

I knew this would happen, if you look at the reasons for initial rejection it is not so much the level of violence but it is callous way it is towards murder. For all the changes that I have heard through 1up this hasn't really changed they have just made the it less violence and made things a bit darker to make to harder to see what has happened....

I don't think they can appeal again...

Not really. The UK is not Europe, all they have to do is release the game in the rest of Europe with its PEGI 18+ rating.

The M-rated version doesn't seem to be much use in Europe. They may as well release the AO version in the places that had allowed it (Norway, France, Italy and the Netherlands IIRC)and give them way too many copies. Then leave the rest to importing.

The article says they didn't appeal the verdict yet, they just immediately proposed the american-influenced M-version as an alternative.

And AO won't happen, as Nintendo doesn't allow that rating on its systems (as does Sony). Unless the AO-rating by the ESRB has no effect on the european market whatsoever, and Nintendo can shut one eye releasing the original.