Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The FBT: Favourite Book Thread

Daft

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might like Naples '44 by Norman Lewis! Its a really good account of life in Italy in the wake of WW2. I really didn't think I would like it but after, and while, reading it I thought it was fantastic!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naples-44-Intelligence-Officer-Labyrinth/dp/0907871720

Thanks for the rec, but I was thinking more pyschological or media analytical books than biographies and historic books.

Thanks for the rec, but I was thinking more pyschological or media analytical books than biographies and historic books.

Well it doesn't hurt to try something new!:p

Do u have any recommendations for pyschological books because the subject interests me but I have no idea what is any good!?

Well it doesn't hurt to try something new!:p

Do u have any recommendations for pyschological books because the subject interests me but I have no idea what is any good!?

Okay I don't read much, but more so intend to? I was lent "They Fuck You Up" and find that really interesting, even if im reading it very slowly.

Okay I don't read much, but more so intend to? I was lent "They Fuck You Up" and find that really interesting, even if im reading it very slowly.

Awesome, Cheers! I'll look into it!:grin:

Anyone read God Delusion? Great read, much better at offending Christians than Dan Brown.

Always a good way to sell books!:p

Another great book: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.
And that's not even his best book. (That guy is a genious... try reading "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World").

I don't like reading fiction. As I see it I use fiction as a way to distance myself and escape, and you can do that with television and films. Books are too self-referential, you can't drift off. You have to remain focused, you are physically holding the product. I need something more abstract.

You need more abstract than your imagination? :hmm: I mean... it's all in your mind, you can choose to inerpretate it anyway you want. It offers double as much "freedom" as a movie or series or whatever. It's 10 times more abstract.

Has anyone read 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'?? I've heard good things but I have no idea what it is about!
If you like fantasy... it's a good, solid book about magic.

As for me... I'm getting a little over the fantasy/sci-fi genre. I have yet to read the Dune and Hitchhiker series... and then I guess it's the last I'll see from the genre.

I used to love LOTR... now I'm just getting bored with it. Fast.

My favourite book? I'm always torn apart by two, and can never decide wich I prefer:

"Brave New Wolrd" by Aldous Huxley.

"The Picture Of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

I can't decide wich I love the most.

Catcher in The Rye by JD Salinger,

Are you serious? I have to read that book for English. I'm currently on about chapter 23/24. It's the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read. Its page after page of mindless, depressing drivel.

No wonder it made people kill people. They probably did it just to forget about that book.

If you like fantasy... it's a good, solid book about magic.

Awesome! I haven't had a good fantasy book in a while!

Hey Supergrunch! I just bought Ghostwritten and I can't wait to start it tonight!

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is absolutely amazing. If you read it for school and hated it then, read it again because you'll love it this time round now you're a bit older.

I've really want to read this but I never get round to it, or I am reading another book...like now!:(

Books are great for losing yourself, you get to see it from your point of view (with the author writing what's happening). Therefore you're the director and you don;t need a film director telling you how it looked. I always surprise myself when a book becomes a film, and the difference between what I had thought things looked like, and what the director did. I still love films though.

Anyway.!

Probably Papillion or Animal Farm. Both damn good works of writing. One's a great escape story, the other - a damn good critique on the bad side of communism.

damn my university books shelf. I didn't bring any books that I really enjoyed reading so I won't be able to recommend much. I must say, Terry Goodkind's books starting with The Magician are clearly made with some sort of finger-glue. Yer typical 600+ page book that refuses to lay unread.

Cloud Atlas and number9Dream by Dave Mitchel are both narratively intriguing books. Erm. Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor is probably my favourite book by him so far.

You need more abstract than your imagination? :hmm: I mean... it's all in your mind, you can choose to inerpretate it anyway you want. It offers double as much "freedom" as a movie or series or whatever. It's 10 times more abstract.

My own imagination is vivid enough, and my dreams (Terrorism leading to WW2-style curfews and such is my newest series of dreams). I mean the actual act of reading. Its very obvious, very self-referential. You are holding the book and you are aware you are looking at the book and you must focus. To me, TV is more abstract. (And who says the stories have to start/stop when the episode does?)

My own imagination is vivid enough, and my dreams (Terrorism leading to WW2-style curfews and such is my newest series of dreams). I mean the actual act of reading. Its very obvious, very self-referential. You are holding the book and you are aware you are looking at the book and you must focus. To me, TV is more abstract. (And who says the stories have to start/stop when the episode does?)

I find a great book makes me forget that I am looking at a book...its kind of hypnotic!

I hate it when I start daydreaming whilst I'm reading. I'll come back to realisation and realise that I've no idea what happened over the last few pages.

Yea, sometimes I read the same page about a million times when I start daydreaming...its damn annoying!:hehe:

Anyone read God Delusion? Great read, much better at offending Christians than Dan Brown.

I have, I think it's a really good read.

I hate all there people in my school who say "it's really badly written". When I ask them if they've read it, they say "no, but my church youth group worker says etc etc etc".

Oh, and it's not like the bible is any good... Oh, and whoever says it's "the greatest story ever told" needs to get real. I could make it better just be adding a bit, then, logically, that would be the greatest story ever told.

Anyone see Ross Noble's thing about that? He thinks Jesus should have an exploding face.:awesome:

And who says the stories have to start/stop when the episode does?

I don't know... why don't you tell me who says it? (that same principle apllies to books... the difference is, you're given the basic and are allowed to let your imagination do the rest... with episodes, they give you everything... in specific detail.)

I have, I think it's a really good read.

I hate all there people in my school who say "it's really badly written". When I ask them if they've read it, they say "no, but my church youth group worker says etc etc etc".

Oh, and it's not like the bible is any good... Oh, and whoever says it's "the greatest story ever told" needs to get real. I could make it better just be adding a bit, then, logically, that would be the greatest story ever told.

Anyone see Ross Noble's thing about that? He thinks Jesus should have an exploding face.:awesome:

Using your own argument against you... Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!