NEurope
Charlie

Are you happy with your Wii?

well I can always get another one when all those games you mention are finally released in the UK... spring 2008 anyone?

Let's look at the time changes the last few years. How long have we waited for the best games? Europe is getting better and better treatments and yes, they need some renewal - but even so, they're still pretty fast for the job they have to do. You're way to much from the point ont this one - it's holiday in Europe too, you know. Nintendo isn't stupid. They could well have waited with the Wii release to concur with the PS3 one - yet they didn't. Freakin' doom-thinker.

After the disappointing 3rd party support of N64 and GC, the Wii is doing pretty damned well at the moment. When the Wii released there was no reason to expect the machine getting this much support and in that respect everyone who knew Nintendo, should have known it was a gamble if they didnt want more of the same...

ok... i accept all your points... but i can sell my wii on ebay right now... and pretty get what i paid for it... looking at the finishing prices.

So... if there's tons of good games out later on, i can buy another one, and it'll be cheaper by then (because even if the price doesn't come down, inflation means that, in real terms, a wii bought next year for 179 is cheaper than this year)... which means, effectively, i got to play zelda for free.

ok... i accept all your points... but i can sell my wii on ebay right now... and pretty get what i paid for it... looking at the finishing prices.

So... if there's tons of good games out later on, i can buy another one, and it'll be cheaper by then (because even if the price doesn't come down, inflation means that, in real terms, a wii bought next year for 179 is cheaper than this year)... which means, effectively, i got to play zelda for free.

I don't judge anyone for their choices when it comes to selling or buying a console, nor will I try to convince you to keep your wii; but I think both Wii and X360 are good consoles to own simultaneously this generation (I'm no Wii60 fan), if you can afford it, that is.

X360 has a great line-up right now, no doubt (and thanks to a headstart), but that doesn't make me want one more than I want my Wii, the games I want are mostly here, so I don't really agree with bashing those titles, even if they don't really move you, that's my stance.

I don't judge anyone for their choices when it comes to selling or buying a console, nor will I try to convince you to keep your wii; but I think both Wii and X360 are good consoles to own simultaneously this generation (I'm no Wii60 fan), if you can afford it, that is.

X360 has a great line-up right now, no doubt (and thanks to a headstart), but that doesn't make me want one more than I want my Wii, the games I want are mostly here, so I don't really agree with bashing those titles, even if they don't really move you, that's my stance.

well thats cool. if wii is delivering what you want... then you have no reason to look elsewhere.

well thats cool. if wii is delivering what you want... then you have no reason to look elsewhere.
Of course though, I'm interested in every quality title/franchise getting to Wii, I'm not trying to be narrow-minded here, I might be happy with something but I'm even happier with variety, so I'm really rooting for the Wii's 3rd party support to grow rather than shrink.

I think Wii's doing much better than GC initially did, but now Nintendo needs to keep the momentum going, when the console reaches a considerable userbase with a good variety of gamers (that GC lacked) then maybe there will be market for all kinds of games (an ideal userbase), that's could be what makes the platform a success or a niche player.

Of course though, I'm interested in every quality title/franchise getting to Wii, I'm not trying to be narrow-minded here, I might be happy with something but I'm even happier with variety, so I'm really rooting for the Wii's 3rd party support to grow rather than shrink.

I think Wii's doing much better than GC initially did, but now Nintendo needs to keep the momentum going, when the console reaches a considerable userbase with a good variety of gamers (that GC lacked) then maybe there will be market for all kinds of games (an ideal userbase), that's could be what makes the platform a success or a niche player.

the wii is selling better than the GC sure... but have the games REALLY delivered?

Very few games deliver any sort of covincing 'revolution' despite the new controller... and the second gen games don't seem to really be changing that.

Its maybe because the big publishing houses still class the wii as a "kiddie system" where adult games wouldn't sell that well. So they play it safe and release a kids game where they can use the profit created and pushing it into a new ip for either 360/ps3 game.

the wii is selling better than the GC sure... but have the games REALLY delivered?

It depends on who the games are delivering to. For people like me that have never felt suckered by Nintendo until the Wii came out, then no, in my OPINION, it hasnt lived up to my expectations which were understandably high given their past consoles.

For new gamers and 'non-gamers', its apparently the best thing since sliced bread and Nintendo are making a fortune catering to them first with tech demos and recycled GC games. Again its making them a fortune so theyd be crazy not to roll with it.

Very few games deliver any sort of covincing 'revolution' despite the new controller... and the second gen games don't seem to really be changing that.

They've been delivering for me, what I expected from them.

Instead of comparing it to a console who shipped one year ago, why not comparing it to a console who launched in most territories at the same time? Is PS3 delivering?

I remember seeing lots of people unsatisfied with their Xbox 360 and having no games to play, etc, in January 2006 and onwards, one full year ago.

They've been delivering for me, what I expected from them.

Instead of comparing it to a console who shipped one year ago, why not comparing it to a console who launched in most territories at the same time? Is PS3 delivering?

I remember seeing lots of people unsatisfied with their Xbox 360 and having no games to play, etc, in January 2006 and onwards, one full year ago.

You must have extremly low expectations if this is how you thought the wii would be like.

And its always difficult for the launch period of any console.

The problem is with the ps3 and 360 those games were actually playable.

The only full game with controls that work is zelda.

You must have extremly low expectations if this is how you thought the wii would be like.
realistic expectations for Q1 2007, yeah.

besides I don't think I need to be judged for what I expect.

And its always difficult for the launch period of any console.

The problem is with the ps3 and 360 those games were actually playable.

The only full game with controls that work is zelda.

Oh seriously? now the PS3 line-up is better than the Wii?

that's new considering how the console is doing.

X360 had a good line-up on launch, but it had a big dead period of no big games coming in the first months afterwards, and that big line-up lacked big games (where we have Zelda), sure; with PGR3 Nintendo can't compete with Excite truck; Perfect Dark Zero... méh... Red Steel... so-so... pretty comparable; CoD2 X360 vs CoD3 Wii, CoD2 had a online multiplayer so yeah, better; Zelda versus Kameo... no doubt Zelda. And Wii Sports... that's a new kind of game altogether.

Zelda on launch is like if X360 had shipped with Halo 3.

Seriously though, I don't think it's that far from the launch titles X360 had one year ago, and even if it was, I have more to do than whine about it. I didn't bought a Wii for the X360 titles.

Yes, because if people have an opinion different then yours, then they must be wrong. Let me tell you something. I have 6 games for Wii, this in less than two months. I love them all and I play my Wii every day. I consider Zelda, which was launch title, the best game ever. Red Steel is really cool, despite what reviews say, Wario Ware and Rayman are very fun, very funny and have great multiplayer and Wii Play and Wii Sports are played everyday so I can relax and I also play it with my parents and non gamer friends. Plus there's a shitload of games coming that are possible great. So, yeah, I'm very satisfied with the Wii.

But, now, we have a problem, I'm agreeing with a portuguese fella and I have low expectations and standarts. Wow, I may just cut my wrists.

I had 3 games with my wii, rayman/red steel/zelda. Then completed rayman and red steel quickly then sold them.

Futhermore perfect dark zero was far more playable than red steel.

To be fair I was expecting perfect controls for every wii game and each game disappoints on the wii thats why I stick with my 360/ps2/and when I get one a ps3

I can't really agree with that. I didn't play perfect dark for much, but the control felt rather loose.

Red steel's works fine once you get into it, and has a lot of depth, as well as a "refreshing" control scheme.

I had 3 games with my wii, rayman/red steel/zelda. Then completed rayman and red steel quickly then sold them.

To be fair I was expecting perfect controls for every wii game and each game disappoints on the wii thats why I stick with my 360/ps2/and when I get one a ps3

I think this pretty much sums it up in laymans terms... even the 'best' 3rd party wii titles are worse than what is considered average on other formats.

I wasn't expecting anything to really be 'perfect' as you put it above... but i REALLY wasn't expecting that the wiimote would just mean trading button pushes for a detached swish.... hardly a revolution is how i feel about it now.

I think this pretty much sums it up in laymans terms... even the 'best' 3rd party wii titles are worse than what is considered average on other formats.

I wasn't expecting anything to really be 'perfect' as you put it above... but i REALLY wasn't expecting that the wiimote would just mean trading button pushes for a detached swish.... hardly a revolution is how i feel about it now.

It's a brand new control scheme that's been out for next to no time at all!!

Give developers a chance to fully get to grips with its potential before judging what the system is capable of!

In a years time there's every chance a game like Red Steel will be able to achieve exactly what the developers set out to do!

It just takes abit of time, trial and error and understanding!

Yes couldn't agree more that it takes trial and effort for the control schematics to be fully realised. However Ubisofts QA staff said the red steel controls were pretty bad and yet they push it out.

Thats why Nintendo should of releashed the control dev kits to developers really early so they could test how the controller worked. But they didn't.

And there are so many fanboys on this forum, that laugh when sony and microsoft (& of course their publishing partners) however when Nintendo(& its publishing partners) screws up, they blame it on everything other than ther incompetence.

I'm not that happy with my Wii, this EU drought sucks balls. It was good at first but I haven't played it in a week or two.

But I accept this; I knew this would happen when I bought it; I know the drought will be over soon and we'll have a steady supply of awesome games; I know this is way better than when Gamecube and DS started and I know how Goddamn popular DS is now.

I'm not that happy, but I'm not that bothered either.

Yes couldn't agree more that it takes trial and effort for the control schematics to be fully realised. However Ubisofts QA staff said the red steel controls were pretty bad and yet they push it out.

Thats why Nintendo should of releashed the control dev kits to developers really early so they could test how the controller worked. But they didn't.

And there are so many fanboys on this forum, that laugh when sony and microsoft (& of course their publishing partners) however when Nintendo(& its publishing partners) screws up, they blame it on everything other than ther incompetence.

actually.... every forum i've visited of late has the core gamers complainging about the wii... nintendo may have won the casual gamers over... but they really seem to be distancing themselves from the people who buy the most games.

actually.... every forum i've visited of late has the core gamers complainging about the wii... nintendo may have won the casual gamers over... but they really seem to be distancing themselves from the people who buy the most games.
So and since all forums have people complaining about the Wii... let's complain too!

I seriously don't know what you expected, but you were expecting too much for Q1 2007.

Also, isn't the people who buy the console the people who buy it's games? I see no problem with public. Who buys power rangers on PS2? certainly not "core gamers" but it's good that, that title and 2000 other crap ones come out there... and sell; because there is market. Look what that did for their third party support.

Nintendo honestly needs more of that public than public like us who buy the console for 1st party endeavors, that's why 3rd party support was condemned in the first place on other consoles, wether it's good or exclusive, or it sells crap.

A 1st party Nintendo game is already a game that'll sell tons on that platform even if the reviews are crap, it's just how it is.

That said, the games for the core public are coming, remember Metroid Prime came out on the second year of the console's life? Animal Crossing was a N64 port and only got to europe in 2004, Mario Kart DD came out in 2003, Mario Sunshine came out in 2002, Battalion wars in 2005, Fire Emblem in 2005... It's all coming on Wii on the first year.

There's got to be some effort in this.

Thats why Nintendo should of releashed the control dev kits to developers really early so they could test how the controller worked.

OK, I think you've had enough beer for one night.

my friend paid like £350 for his wii and sold it 2 weeks ago. he only had it for like a month. the software lineup and release date schedule is the reason he sold it.

said he played it for 1 week and then got bored quick.

Anyone who gets disapointed in a console in its first 6 months of life is a moron. Regardless of the console.