NEurope
Charlie

Are you happy with your Wii?

...and the DVD drive seems to be done from ground for it, from what I heard most slow loading ones don't support mini-dvd slot-loading, I wouldn't be surprised by DVD drive shortages.

Yeh, Wii's drive is quite unique in the market. Sony did have prototypes for minidisc eating drives, but they were extremely expensive to produce so they never saw mass-market. I'm pretty sure that Wii's drive is currently only one that accepts minidiscs.

And what comes to other components, Pedro is quite right. Those who haven't studied business and economics often have simplistic views on how easy it is start or organize mass-scale production. Only real benefit that Wii does have on manufacturing department is that it is using well proven and tested technology, which means amount of decifit chips is easily below 1 percent.

This is huge advantage if compared to PS3, that uses complex, but yet "unproven" Cell chip. In the beginning, about 30 percent Cell chips that IBM produced had more than one core unfunctional, making them impossible to use in PS3 production. These chips can be used in products that require less cores, but it really didn't help Sony. Of course, number of decifit chips went quickly down after that first few weeks, but it did really bog down PS3 production.

Sony did have prototypes for minidisc eating drives, but they were extremely expensive to produce so they never saw mass-market. I'm pretty sure that Wii's drive is currently only one that accepts minidiscs.
heh :p I didn't knew that Sony attempted it, but I remember Nintendo saying they could cost-reduce Wii simply by taking the slot loading drive and putting a normal one.

Also looking at how Microsoft goes from one DVD drive brand to another, Nintendo can't do that, and same it's true for Bluray drives on PS3 (one of the reasons for the low-stock manufacturing issues).

It makes sense for Sony to attemp it, since they used to be popular in car audio systems who typically use slot sloading and mini cd's were (are?) very popular in Japanese music single's.

I'm sorry to say, but I believe that Sony might just be right. They're always sold-out because there just aren't many units delivered. Our local store gets units in about 10-11 every once in a while (it isn't even certain when they'll get some). There aren't many units around and that's why they keep selling out. In America, Sony is shipping 100k per week and this assures enough in stores to have something remaining on the shelves...

The sales charts and news articles are proof about demand outstripping supply everywhere. However they also prove that Nintendo are selling more Wii's than Sony with PS3. Don't forget this is with the system released in PAL territories as well.

I'm really impressed with the attention and interest the Wii has generated. Even my work colleages and family members who don't care about games knows about the Wii. The other day I let my sister who has never played games try Wii Sports and she couldn't stop laughing especially with Boxing. She played on it for hours. Something Microsoft and Sony can't deliver.

You know, whatever the insides, marketing works fairly different. marketing is pure business and getting people to think something is rare ups it's demand. I do'nt really think that Nintendo is doing 'the best they can' to deliver the units. They're holding some back - i'm pretty sure they can manufacture more. but even so, Wii is a critical succes. Just like the DS, wich has PSP crippling so far behind that Sony is trying to heal the wound with contracts with local television networks. 'Emma on PSP?' (Emma is a local show on Belgium National television, één) is one of those things proving to me that they're not reallyu getting the system out of the door.

Sony still believes in it's 'better hardware, better console' thinking - and so do all the graphics' industries. Check at what NVidia had to wsay 'graphics do matter, Nintendo is wrong'. They interpreted Nintendo's 'we've reached the end of graphics'-quote wrongly. Just like Sony. Nintendo isn't releasing a NES with Wii controls, it's a console pretty powerfull and Nintendo will still continue to make powerfull consoles in the future. And Sony is going to lose - the more and more people seem to realize that. Even sony, who's making mistakes af if it earns them good points(1).

What i'm trying to say is that Nintendo has taken the right steps - and now they're just doing the PR to make their consoles wanted. But to be honest, they just need to get it going a lot better than this to prove me Wii is the future. Though I have no real doubts whatsoever - because some good stuff is on the way - but untill that stuff reaches my living room, i'm not really touchyon Wii.

(1) Wich they can trade in for Wii points to buy some good classic games, off course.

There's a REALLY simple answer to the title of this thread... and that's 'have a look at my sig'

why?

eerr... where are the games? europe is clearly not being treated any better than in the past.

eerr... where are the games?

On the Virtual Console?

I mean, yeah, Nintendo's clearly done a worse job than the Cube launch, but they have a nice built-in anti games drought feature - you can download games from a weekly updated library. If you're bored you can just download Super Mario 64, A Link To The Past or Donkey Kong Country for a lot less than an actual Wii game. I'm not saying they're cheap, but games drought? I wouldn't call it that.

I bought other games (other than Zelda) like Rayman Raving Rabbids and Red Steel and was satisfied; next I'm planning on buying CoD3, Excite truck, Warioware.

Then again I didn't expect a drought of games in Q1 2007.

Got it on launch, still gets played everyday, we love it. We have even delayed buying Wario as we are still playing Zelda, Red Steel, Wii Sports, Monkeyball, Rayman,

Got it on launch, still gets played everyday, we love it. We have even delayed buying Wario as we are still playing Zelda, Red Steel, Wii Sports, Monkeyball, Rayman,
I knew I was forgetting one title, yeah, I've gotta get Monkey Ball too.

Since you have both Monkey Ball and Rayman, between those what do you prefer? (because if it's better than Rayman, then I guess I should buy it ASAP)

I knew I was forgetting one title, yeah, I've gotta get Monkey Ball too.

Since you have both Monkey Ball and Rayman, between those what do you prefer? (because if it's better than Rayman, then I guess I should buy it ASAP)

Even though you're not asking me I wouldn't recommend Monkey Ball.

It's a bit of a dissapointment compared to the two orginals.

The new controls are very wierd to get used to and many of the mini-games are rubbish.

Even though you're not asking me I wouldn't recommend Monkey Ball.

It's a bit of a dissapointment compared to the two orginals.

The new controls are very wierd to get used to and many of the mini-games are rubbish.

That's not good to hear then :(

Super Monkey Ball 2 rocked.

I gotta go with monkeyball between the two. Monkeyball gats some gettin used to though and the mini games aren't brilliant. more quality and less quantity in the minigame dspt methinks.

On the Virtual Console?

I mean, yeah, Nintendo's clearly done a worse job than the Cube launch, but they have a nice built-in anti games drought feature - you can download games from a weekly updated library. If you're bored you can just download Super Mario 64, A Link To The Past or Donkey Kong Country for a lot less than an actual Wii game. I'm not saying they're cheap, but games drought? I wouldn't call it that.

yeah... but i don't buy all that nostalgia crap.... most of those games I still have in the their original form...

anyway... bid for my wii...

yeah... but i don't buy all that nostalgia crap.... most of those games I still have in the their original form...

What do you expect if you buy one at launch? They can't exactly release every game in production before it's completed for the sake of a few months when there is years left in the wii's lifespan.

You'll regret selling it, dude. It's not really much now - but the best is yet to come! Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros... Just an example! You'll be missing out and, sorry to say, you're not allowed on this forum anymore. Have your say elsewhere, betrayer!

On the Virtual Console?

You'll regret selling it, dude. It's not really much now - but the best is yet to come! Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros... Just an example! You'll be missing out and, sorry to say, you're not allowed on this forum anymore. Have your say elsewhere, betrayer!

well I can always get another one when all those games you mention are finally released in the UK... spring 2008 anyone?

well I can always get another one when all those games you mention are finally released in the UK... spring 2008 anyone?

Plus you can get a black one, the current games will be cheaper, and Nintendo might have seen fit to lower VC prices by then (or increased them, knowing Nintendo). Definately not a bad idea

Plus you can get a black one, the current games will be cheaper, and Nintendo might have seen fit to lower VC prices by then (or increased them, knowing Nintendo). Definately not a bad idea

and in the meantime, play gears of war, bioshock, halo 3, mass effect, crackdown, half life 2 ep 2, blue dragon, forza 2, fable 2....

but hey, you guys enjoy metroid at christmas... and dewy's adventure.

Trust me, we will.

Trust me, we will.
Indeed, those and Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Kirby, Animal Crossing...

Quick list of Nintendo 1st party titles scheduled for 2007, that is.

Quick list of Nintendo 1st party titles scheduled for 2007, that is.

Precise list is this:

Animal Crossing

Battalion Wars II

Big Brain Academy

Disaster: Day of Crisis

DK Kongo Blast

Excite Truck

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

Forever Blue

Kirby

Mario Party 8

Mario Strikers Charged

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Wii Health Pack

Wii Music

End of the year will be crowded.

I donno why, but I'm suddenly really looking forward to the next Batallion wars...

and in the meantime, play gears of war, bioshock, halo 3, mass effect, crackdown, half life 2 ep 2, blue dragon, forza 2, fable 2....

Yeah your right of course.

Graphics do matter as does the need for a new working control method. Not just the basic of either ones.

Nintendo could of still launched an hd graphics machine that could of used directx 9 and 10 and other graphical sharpening. Which means who is right nintendo or everyone else?

Well a bit from column A (nintendo) and alot from column B (everyone else)

I would rather play a game like GoW with a trad controller. Rather than a N64 game with wii controls added on

There's a REALLY simple answer to the title of this thread... and that's 'have a look at my sig'

why?

eerr... where are the games? europe is clearly not being treated any better than in the past.

er zelda,rayman and monkey ball,wario ware,red steel?

seriously much better than whats on ps3 and much better than what the 360 had in its first 3 months

Precise list is this:

Animal Crossing

Battalion Wars II

Big Brain Academy

DK Kongo Blast

Excite Truck

Forever Blue

Kirby

Mario Party 8

Mario Strikers Charged

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Wii Health Pack

Wii Music

End of the year will be crowded.

NOW Delete the gamecube ports... and the games already out...

Animal Crossing

Big Brain Academy

Forever Blue

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Wii Health Pack

Wii Music

.... oh look.... fable 2, halo 3, forza 2, bioshock, mass effect.

i'm not sure what your point was again???