NEurope
Nintendork

SSX Blur

1080 was good on N64, Avalanche was disappointing though...

It was outstanding on the N64 but you're right about Avalanche being a letdown. Though its still good once you forget about SSX3 and all it offers. Ten Eighty's trick system is better though in my opinion. SSX stunts are mental, but theres not the same skill in pulling them off.

In that ign interview... I wish they didn't talk solely about reviews :/ In World Tour the weakest things were:

1. Limited soundtrack.

2. Poor graphics

3. Tried to add some kind of "character creation" and made it really lacking

4. Monster tricks weren't as good as uber tricks

5. Skiing felt like a pointless addon

6. Some objectives were simply too frustrating

7. No full mountain races like in SSX3

8. Levels lost their fun edge and tried to look "real"

These things need putting back to how they were in the amazing SSX 3 >.<

Sure it's lovely to hear about the Wii controls, but controls - no matter how new and unique - are still just one aspect of a game! The developers better be aware of this, and make sure they still create a full, tight game underneath the fancy new nunchuk waggles.

Isnt it SSX On Tour? Anyway, I found it difficult to get into and Ive still not broke even into the top 100 in it. Its good though but as viable as your eight points against are, theres one that really put me off: the general skater style of the game. I thought that Id like the cool menu's and cardboardness of everything, but really, its too much. All slanted writing everywhere, eek.

SSX 3 was a great game, I cant mind who said it, but they should bring back EA Radio Big in SSX Blur. :bouncy: I could care less about the music though, its just generic Kerrang stuff.

new footage looks awesome! The interview with the developer made it sound like they generally thought the game was more fun due to the control scheme aswell. great stuff.

Just watched the video and I gotta say, I really like the look of this! Can't wait to see how many courses, different modes etc there are in it!

Just watched the video and I gotta say, I really like the look of this! Can't wait to see how many courses, different modes etc there are in it!

Agreed! :D

As i've already stated in this thread on a previous occasion, if this game were to remain Wii exclusive and not be ported onto PS3, PSP or Xbox 360 (DS incarnation is acceptable), then i'll buy, despite being a 6/10 game.

As i've already stated in this thread on a previous occasion, if this game were to remain Wii exclusive and not be ported onto PS3, PSP or Xbox 360 (DS incarnation is acceptable), then i'll buy, despite being a 6/10 game.

6/10? I think it'll get 7/10 minimum!!! ;)

I think this looks pretty awesome though I'm slightly worried about the main controls being nunchuck tilt - I didn't realise it was that accurate, but in throey it's looking really strong; and i also presume Blur will be Nintendo exclusive and the others will get SSX Tricky 4 with even more realistic than real life graphics!

Just watched the 2 videos from ign, and it looked great. I havnt played a snowboarding game since SSX tricky, which I thought was a good game.

1080 on the n64 was really cool. The controls though, I didnt think the nunchuk could be used to that much sensitivty as turning the person.

I'll definitely be getting this, will fill my hunger until Atlus or whoever brings a new snowboards kids.

Isnt it SSX On Tour? Anyway, I found it difficult to get into and Ive still not broke even into the top 100 in it. Its good though but as viable as your eight points against are, theres one that really put me off: the general skater style of the game. I thought that Id like the cool menu's and cardboardness of everything, but really, its too much. All slanted writing everywhere, eek.

SSX 3 was a great game, I cant mind who said it, but they should bring back EA Radio Big in SSX Blur. :bouncy: I could care less about the music though, its just generic Kerrang stuff.

Hah, I've had the game for like... a year and still didn't know what it was called :heh: how about that. And it was me that said Radio Big should return too :D

Whoa, that trailer has gained my interest. Looks promising indeed!

Woah, wait a minute, I'm almost positive I've seen that slope before in one of the previous games... I didn't bring my GC home for Christmas so I can't check, but that definitely looks very familiar. One of the peak starts from SSX3 I think.

Had another look at it and Shorty I think your right. Hopefully it means the mountain will be back but I hope they arn't just porting it.

Okay, after playing Tony Hawks Downhill Jam on the DS a lot (the game is AMAZING!!!) I've come to the (reaffirmed) conclusion that the Wii is (in theory) perfect for this type of game, here is why:

In these types of games (fast, trick heavy sports games) you need to be pretty dextrous, somethingvwhich would and does turn off casual gamers and even normal gamers - to be good takes a lot of time and effort.

Now this is something I am willing to put in and have with Downhill Jam, but the one thing that is difficult is the regular jumping off the ramps to then perform the hand twisting combo's. The button layout and the shear frequency of jumping makes it so hard (i've only just got the game, I'm sure it gets easier).

But my point is that with the wii-mote you won't have to play it for hours just to get competent, because flicking the nunchuck up and tiliting it and the wiimote to flip and spin will be just so intuitive - it's going to be awesome IF the nunchuck can handle subtle movement!

Totally agree with you regarding contols..

IF the nunchuck can handle subtle movement!

dont see why not. its the same accelorometer as in the wii mote, I think

SSX Blur Video Trailer

(Linked to Cubed3 which has a video from Gametrailers)

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Hey that looks nice :D back to the old style, though the presentation better be more exciting in certain places.... Just had an imaginary go holding the imaginary wii-mote and I think that control will work nicely, with the exception maybe of the front flip... forward tilts just dont come very naturally to me.

Hey that looks nice :D back to the old style, though the presentation better be more exciting in certain places.... Just had an imaginary go holding the imaginary wii-mote and I think that control will work nicely, with the exception maybe of the front flip... forward tilts just dont come very naturally to me.

How exactly do you perform tricks and stuff with the mote? Do you use a combination between buttons and the d-pad, or is it buttons and tilt, etc?

Totally agree with you regarding contols..

dont see why not. its the same accelorometer as in the wii mote, I think

It isn't the same. It's a little less sensitive but it probably can handle it very well.

I love how the characters are always inside the snow and no one gives a shit about it. As long as the graphics aren't ugly, and are smooth the game will look good. From reading the article at IGN the gameplay looks very cool. I just think the snowboard needs more spray/dust/smoke/whatever you want to call it.

How exactly do you perform tricks and stuff with the mote? Do you use a combination between buttons and the d-pad, or is it buttons and tilt, etc?

This video shows how you do it quite well - I think it'll be buttons and tilt, probably "B". Tip forward for front flip, sideways for spin, backwards for backflip etc.. Maybe it won't need a button holding at all... but that might make for awkward landings and doing tricks by accident :/

This video shows how you do it quite well - I think it'll be buttons and tilt, probably "B". Tip forward for front flip, sideways for spin, backwards for backflip etc.. Maybe it won't need a button holding at all... but that might make for awkward landings and doing tricks by accident :/

Nice one, cheers for the info.

Looking forward to this now. Hope there's a decent multiplayer mode of some kind.

I hope it's fast....i don't want to go down a slope really slowly....

I did play one SSX game and it was pretty fast, so i'm hoping this is the same.

I hope it's fast....i don't want to go down a slope really slowly....

I did play one SSX game and it was pretty fast, so i'm hoping this is the same.

All the SSX games are fast once you know what you're doing :D you need to improve your board and land plenty of tricks to get the boost, then you're flying.

I just hope they don't stick as many obstacles on the slopes as they did in On Tour, the number of times I hit a tree in that and threw my controller in frustration :nono:

I wouldn't exactly call Iron Maiden, Motorhead or Scorpions "generic Kerrang stuff". The rest are though! :bouncy:

The game looks pretty good, but it's not really my type. Might pick it up sometime though.

Joystiq Impressions

The Wii Remote should be great for certain sports titles: tennis, golf, baseball, and other swinging games. But I've been skeptical about how the console will handle lower-body games, like soccer and snowboarding. Some recent play-time with Wii-only SSX Blur made me look forward to at least snowboarding; the controls felt more fluid than a gamepad. In my limited time with Blur, all of the movements -- even heart drawing and flicking up to jump -- added to the experience.