Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

No More Heroes

Smiter

Suda 51: Third party Wii games aren't selling

Only Nintendo is successful in Japan, says No More Heroes man

Goichi Suda, otherwise known as Killer 7 and No More Heroes director Suda 51, claims that third-party titles for the Wii aren't selling in his home land and that only Nintendo is really profiting from its success.

Speaking about the sales of No More Heroes in Japan, he told us, "Whilst the sales weren't as high as I hoped, other titles for Wii aren't selling so well either. Only Nintendo titles are doing well. This isn't just because of the current situation in Japan, as this is happening outside Japan."

He also expressed surprise over the casual audience that has been the primary adopters of the Wii. "Actually I was very surprised about the reality about Wii, because before I was making this game, I wasn't expecting that Wii would be a console targeted only for non-gamers. I expected more games for hardcore gamers. The reality is different to what I expected".

No More Heroes was released in Japan last year to impressive reviews, but failed to set the retail world alight. It's been reported that on its launch day, it took twenty minutes for someone to buy a copy at a signing, and even then it was a journalist from Famitsu.

The Wii title is released in the UK on February 29. Based on NGamer's glowing review, we hope and pray it does better over here.

Look out for our full interview with Suda 51 later this week.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=179648

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea read that not to long ago, seems the Wii is just a 'Casual Gamers' console, this really must be changed. I want to see how Brawl will do when it's released over there.
Nintendo could change it's focus now, it's not like they have competitors in that area now; now it's time to push for the third party worthy titles, and build relations with them.

I've seen a lot of pissed developers lately, and while I don't think it's Nintendo fault, they could always do even better. If this continues going like this without picking up, it'll really loose quality third party support (when admitedly most developers never even tried).

Starting to make it look like they care, creating for example a Wii channel like MP3 one for Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes, for example; or giving developers with good games that chance.

Yea, if the 3rd parties that actually work and spend time on games, flops cause there's a lack of 'hard-core' gamers then it really will be a problem. Nintendo have to reach out more and give much more support to developers, they must realise it now over the past few months.

If this keep happens then the Wii will be full of cash ins that don't deserve to do well. Apart from people I know that got a Wii arounf launch, all they do is pick up and play Wii Sports for a while and barely touch it again, they must grip these people and push software on them.

This is what I like to hear.

“It’s great to be involved with a product like No More Heroes. We have a marketing campaign on TV through February and March, so we’re kicking off in 2008 with a really big product. We are expecting No More Heroes to be a major hit and the biggest seller on the Wii for the first few months of the year. We’ve had great press already.†- Rising Star Games MD Martin Defries

Cant wait to see the advert.

Depending on where you live, no?

Jan 22nd 2008 USA

Feb 29th 2008 Europe

Unless you've posted this in the wrong thread, and meant Zak and Wiki?

DAMN!!!

I tought it was tomorrow :'(

Oh well, at least i have Zack And Wiki :P

I said it in the comments section but i'll say it again. Thanks to everyone who made it happen, great piece of work. Suda is one of the greatest the industry has, and needs to be supported.

I also noticed Masafumi Takada was there. Is there anything you guys (well Mark) could tell me about him. I love the stuff he did for Killer7 and he is one of the wonder team working on SSBB.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!