NEurope
flameboy

The Reviews Thread

How so? I mean alot of FF games actually change ideas everytime. So ok it might be turn based but in say like FF10 it added character swapping in battles and a unique way of levelling characters up. FF8 it had the draw system, so on. Each one is actually quite different.

I still prefer Gamespot over IGN. IGN give everything high stuff nearly all the time. WOO TRUE CRIME 9.0! :D

At the end of the day it's his view on it and how he felt. I'm sure it won't effect have you feel when you play it. He does have to be judgement in his own way.

Yeah, but from what I've heard, this game adds many new things to Zelda gameplay also. I adore the FF series, and honestly FF12 should have been scored way higher, but you have to agree that in the FF series there isn't all that much difference in terms of gameplay, infact, I think it's been getting worse since they did away with the Materia system.

TBH I agree about the orchestrated music. Granted the midi is done EXTREMELY well, and to the untrained ear it sounds authentic..even I thought the music was orchestrated in this one.

with or without spoilers? probs with :(

Nothing that will ruin the game for you. It manly highlights new areas in the game, but I have forgotten them.

with or without spoilers? probs with :(

There's a few environments in there you probably wouldn't want to see, nothing major.

And on the Gamespot thing, I haven't trusted them since diddy kong racing, but an 8.8 is freaking rediculous. When you've got a game that's getting 9.5s from everyone else, then you're an attention seeker.

And this ain't a matter of opinion either, it aint Killer 7 or Rez, its Zelda and everyone loves it. I don't count this as a trustworthy review.

I think linking to Gamespot should now be a bannable act on this forum.

---

Just kidding, that is a terrible score. Guess all our fears have been confirmed!

true-kind of makes me question what NGamer actually reviewed to give Red Steel a 90% - thats the same score they gave Metroid Prime.

i think 1up gave it a bad score as well . . . (prove me wrong please)

If IGN say it's awful they're biased and clueless as well. And if we all get the game and also think it's utter shit, we're all idiots and Sony biased fanboys and should hit ourselves around the head with a bit of wood.

If IGN say it's awful they're biased and clueless as well. And if we all get the game and also think it's utter shit, we're all idiots and Sony biased fanboys and should hit ourselves around the head with a bit of wood.

exactly!

this guy has the right idea! get wit teh systym y''all!

Based on all these uppity reviews I'm not even sure what games to get alongside Zelda at launch anymore. I may still brave Red Steel if I'm feeling particularly forgiving.

it could be a fair review, they obviously believe the Wii is capable of far better so hopefully Ubi will go back to the drawing board and create something amazing next time.

I never thought a review could piss me off as much as the Gamespot one has.

Exactly.

Here are EDGE's reviews:

Zelda TP 9

Wii Sports 7

Red Steel 5

SMB: Banana Blitz 7

Yeah, it must really piss you off that it got 0.2 less than Edges score...

Personally I think the review is alright, and of course, you can't comment on a review until you've played the game because at the end of the day a review is an opinion and how can you agree/disagree with it until you have an opinion yourself?

I have first complained on the red steel thread but this one (the zelda part) whould go here, so...

In the end if you sum all the little defects there's no perfect games, but does it make you stop playing? is it fun? that's what really matters.

And Zelda... it's not based on name, even ocarina is not a 8.8 game, like their own review back in the time states 10/10. In not going at this "solitanze" way, saying if it's scoring */10 it's shit, but certainly this is not my first gripe with gamespot stupid scores. It's almost if they are scoring lower just because they want to be regarded as demanding.

I remember them giving 8.3 to Majora Mask with a review that hadn't that much negative points to justify it... I mean... were they judging Majora Mask for not being Ocarina of Time?

It's funny to see that Edge who rates lower gave 9/10 to TP, and 8/10 to Gears of War, gamespot has a 9.6 for Gears and seems to be bashing all Wii games, get my rift?

I wish I was paid to be a fanboy, because they clearly are, otherwise there's no coherency in their scores.

I also checked for the reviewer names, and it was the same for all except Red Steel:

Jeff Gerstmann

Ocarina of Time 10/10

Majora Mask 8.3/10

Wind Waker 9.3/10

Twilight Princess 8.8/10

Gears of War 9.6/10

coherency... none.

Well Jeff Gerstmann... go play your 10 hour game, Gears of War over and over again and drool over the graphics and DD 5.1 soundtrack. the tech-whores.

I think it was a harsh score.

I also think unless we go into the territory of offering games a star on top of their score we are compromising the value of the review system.

It's a shame that with the new generation Zelda is the first to bite the bullet.. but in the end it's going to be worth it.

a 7, 8, 9 and 10 rated game should all be worth my consideration. But because today a 7 is seen as average, an 8 as good and a 9 as radical it's tough to differentiate.

I'm glad EDGE gave Red Steel a 5, and Wii Sports a 7, Zelda earned it's 9 on this scale.

GameSpot has made a good move to be more demanding and I can only hope it follows suit with all reviews in this generation.

We all know Zelda Twilight Princess is a top 10 game ever made.

What does it matter what a bunch of wotsits eating Dr. Pepper swigging fatties think?

Try and compare it to the a-level debate.. they're considering bringing in an A* for a-levels.. what does this do to all the hardworking kids who got A's in previous years? A funking huge disservice!

Yeah, it must really piss you off that it got 0.2 less than Edges score...

Edge doesn't score in decimals, they could've considered it worth 94.99999, but they can only round it down to 9.

Also in Edge, a 9 is extremely good, because Edge are a little less liberal with their high scores.

After seeing that video reveiw, i can no longer wait for this game. The world looks huge and it looks like the best Zelda ever. Why Dec 8th? It's so far away!

What a terrible day this has been for Wii games. The darkest day in Wii history thus far... I literally almost died as Shino put it several pages back when I saw the Zelda score on Gamespot "I WAS CORRECT!!!". But despite the disappointing scores, I've been thinking...

This game is a port after all, and with the scores its gotten, it is already the most successful port of all time. That in itself is a great achievement.

With these revelations, my belief is even stronger, Super Mario Galaxy will be the flagship game of the Wii console.

Man, all the Wii games but Zelda have been getting sitty scores. So i'll just get Zelda with my Wii I think. Then wait for Wario Ware and Heroes. Then hope developers get their collective fingers out.

I think the Sims probably did okay when it was ported, and Broken Sword didn't do too bad on the PSone.

MYST probably did good in some ports too.

But on scale I think you're right. It's hard to think of this game as a port.

In the original Zelda meeting and they were deciding between Revolution and GameCube it must have been down to a vote between which system it went to.

I don't fully understand why soom seem so desperate to debunk, discount, or generally rubbish the Gamespot review. 8.8 is a very good score surely. In the concluding paragraph he desribes the game as "excellent news for Zelda fans". Sure he expressed some dissapointment with one or two elements but that is his opinion he is expressing. What else is he paid for?

GameSpot has made a good move to be more demanding and I can only hope it follows suit with all reviews in this generation.

We all know Zelda Twilight Princess is a top 10 game ever made.

That's why Gears of War scores 9.6 by the same reviewer?
What a terrible day this has been for Wii games. The darkest day in Wii history thus far... I literally almost died as Shino put it several pages back when I saw the Zelda score on Gamespot "I WAS CORRECT!!!". But despite the disappointing scores, I've been thinking...

This game is a port after all, and with the scores its gotten, it is already the most successful port of all time. That in itself is a great achievement.

With these revelations, my belief is even stronger, Super Mario Galaxy will be the flagship game of the Wii console.

Shut up. only Gamespot stupidly gave Zelda 8.8 all the others gave 9.5 and up, except edge with a 9.

If you look at the 8.8 and scream "I was correct" you are just believeing in what you want. suit yourself then.

Flasgship? we've got one.

I don't fully understand why soom seem so desperate to debunk, discount, or generally rubbish the Gamespot review. 8.8 is a very good score surely. In the concluding paragraph he desribes the game as "excellent news for Zelda fans". Sure he expressed some dissapointment with one or two elements but that is his opinion he is expressing. What else is he paid for?
There's no perfect games, Red Steel wasn't a review it was just a one sided bashing, on Zelda they didn't have that much arguments but still gave it 8.8.

like I said above... I want coherency, and that is none when Zelda gets 8.8 and Gears of War 9.6 by the same reviewer.

Edge has that and look Gears 8, zelda 9, simple.