NEurope
flameboy

Mario Party 8

It does look pretty decent.. I own 4 and one thing I really hate about is that far too much of it is based on luck rather than skill! Very annoying.. especially the Happening Star bollocks..

This could definitely be good with Wii controls though!

As for the name Mario Party 8.. I think Super Mario Party would definitely be a much better name. Heck, even Ma-Wii-o Party would be better :heh:

lol i never really worry about the name. just the game and MP8 looks good.

Well there is a confirmed date for this in Australia for the 5th of July,which is much sooner than I thought.

Hope we get a release date for it soon then,I want this Mario Party :heh:

here in the netherlands it comes out the first week of June i hope this game is worth my money haha i hope there are lots of boards to play on more characters to choose from and lots of minigames to keep busy , mario party is a game that is fun to play with family and friends

I know my family will love it and i'm gonna get anyway,but they'll fight for the second controller but I don't wanna buy any untill new colours come out :heh:

I hope it's out relatively soon for the rest of us though,be interesting with the Wii-mote.

I'm hoping for a lot of boards and characters aswell,but no doubt i'll just go Yoshi all the time.

I reckon we'll get this round some-time as Australia..so it'll be July.

Where the hell is Super Paper Mario though? What a joke...::shrug:

Where the hell is Super Paper Mario though? What a joke...::shrug:

* me gives Owen over 2000 A4s worth of text, and excepts him to translate it to four different languages under three months without any kind of drop in quality. And re-code text script. And debug the text so it won't contain any bugs. *

* me gives Owen over 2000 A4s worth of text, and excepts him to translate it to four different languages under three months without any kind of drop in quality. And re-code text script. And debug the text so it won't contain any bugs. *

Here he comes...runs....

Here he comes...runs....

Heh. But seriously, localizing something so text heavy as Super Paper Mario is tedious process. Just be glad that NoE is localizing it instead of Konami or Atlus. :)

That's why there's several translators translators for each language and getting the script in advance to close in the gap between releases.

I'm not even to sure how many translators there are but there should be a few and they can break up the script into different parts.

Perhaps I should get this...it should be different enough to the last one I got (the original).

Thinking about it now, I want to rebuy it, great memories, and the crapy super-dual mode, which was just... weird

di anyone else remember MP5?

I would love to get this. Havent owned one since the original either, but all my friends who I used to play multiplayer against have either lost intrest in gaming or are away in universities, so I don't see me buying it sadly. Hopefully Mario Party 9, will have online-play.

Heh. But seriously, localizing something so text heavy as Super Paper Mario is tedious process. Just be glad that NoE is localizing it instead of Konami or Atlus. :)

Are you owned by Nintendo? I mean translating is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. After all Japan and USA have pretty close release dates nearly everytime a good Wii game comes out.

So it works for japanese and english text but not german/french whatever else they wanna put on a game disc? I guess someone could assume that a company as big as Nintendo can afford a few dedicated translators for the EU market aswell ... and to be honest not every translation is so great I would assume it took months to make it. More like ... hours...

I guess Excite Truck have been text heavy aswell...

Look, a few years back i would have agreed with you that translating is a main reason why games take so long to get here....

It's just, NOE should have learnt by there mistakes and increased translator by now, surely? It just seems lazy.

It's just another excuse, i say. They haven't even bothered to update Europe on SPM progress, or tell us if it's even come out here?!

Of course with Mario Party 8 i'm expecting it to hit Australia, Europe and USA within about 3 weeks as it has hardly any words in it. Will it? Hopefully.

:smile:

i am really looking forward to MP8. one of the games that is perfect for the Wii.

So it works for japanese and english text but not german/french whatever else they wanna put on a game disc? I guess someone could assume that a company as big as Nintendo can afford a few dedicated translators for the EU market aswell ... and to be honest not every translation is so great I would assume it took months to make it. More like ... hours...

Let me explain this once again. Nearly all games that originate from japan are first translated to english, and after english version is done, translation for other languages starts. Why? There is three equally good reasons for this behaviour:

1) There no enough European people who would know japanese, meet other requirements for localizers, and be interested about localizing games (pay is weak if compared to other similar jobs). You need to understand the language, grammar, structure and be able to actually code, and efficiently use various programming tools that Nintendo's teams use. For example, do you know many guys who speak japanese fluently, have at least bachelors degree in computer science, love videogames, and are willing to work for 2000 euros per month?

2) When japanese version is translated to english, US localization team is usually forced to do changes to actual code, because original code has fixed length for paragraphs, and if your translation is longer than the fixed length, you need to adjust code. Here is good and relatively simple example from my own Kid Icarus english-to-finnish translation:

Original english paragraph

"MAY I HELP YOU?+

WE HAVE EVERYTHING.

35 characters

Finnish translation

"KUINKA VOIN AUTTAA TEITÄ?+

MEILLÄ ON KAIKKEA."

44 characters

+ = Means break in the text.

Without doing any changes to code, my translation would be restricted to maximum length of 35 characters, resulting in some extremely wonky dialog. That's actually reason why old NES games had some bizarre dialog. When localizers translated text, they were forced to work on same character lengths that original writers had used. They couldn't add more size to game, because bigger cartridges would have been too expensive to manufacture.

These days situation isn't really that much better. Japanese can fit their dialog in much smaller space than in english, and localizers need adjust code to make their translations fit. And even this isn't always possible, because in menus, for example, there literally isn't room for long words. In these cases, you must replace words with icons, use abbreviations*, or do something *really* creative.

When European localization starts, you get even more problems, because all four additional European languages are little bit different structure- and grammar wise. Here is one classic example:

English: You got 2 sword(s)

Sounds simple right? Plural is always same when you are speaking english, but unfortunately, there is 16 different possible plural endings in FIGS. Once again code must be changed to meet European needs, and after source code has been changed, European localizers must also debug whole script again. This is because there is always risk that changes to code make game function incorrectly, change how script deals with breaks, etc. US localization team can't do European changes to code, because they don't know FIGS languages well enough. And anyone who has done relatively big software projects knows that two, complete seperate and different teams trying to adjust source code at same time results in catastrophe sooner or later. Probably sooner.

3) Unlike anyone else in the business, Nintendo has always over 30 localization projects under work at same time. In addition of Wii games, there is DS games, and Nintendo of Europe also localizes Square-Enix's DS / GBA games, that nearly always fall into < 1000 A4s category. Lots of work, and there is definitely limit how many games team can take at same time.

All these things, when put together, are responsible that localization process takes long time.

Well it seems like there is a date for this,so far it looks like it is June 22nd.

Vaguely announced for the current of the spring in Europe, Mario Party 8 will arrive finally to the all beginning of the summer on Wii.

Source

Well it seems like there is a date for this,so far it looks like it is June 22nd.

Nintendo of Australia says that the game is coming out 5th of July. But if Jeux's date is correct, it is released on Europe only 24 days later than in USA.

Today on the NOE Site then in the VIP lounge there was part 1 about how much effort goings into getting a game translated. I suggest all you people moaning should read it.

Today on the NOE Site then in the VIP lounge there was part 1 about how much effort goings into getting a game translated. I suggest all you people moaning should read it.

I suggest people let others react how they like.

I'm entitled to moan about anything i like...and it's obvious NOE are now realising that the games are taking too long to get to Europe (again) and they need to post something to back themselves up.

Nintendo could afford to get more translators or whatever their called, but so far obviously haven't. Therefore showing how little they care about the European market 'at this time'. I suggest they start putting a tad more effort in.

I'm right in saying Nintendo gets a profit from every Wii sold?

I'm right in saying Nintendo gets a profit from every Wii sold?

Indeed you are. Their neglection of the european market irritates me too.:mad: