NEurope
flameboy

Mario Party 8

Hands On: Mario Party 8

Nintendo's yearly tradition continues on the Wii.

by Anoop Gantayat

US, November 3, 2006 - Who out there didn't expect Mario Party to make it over to the Wii? Nintendo's Madden is actually the perfect fit for the Wii, as it gives Nintendo another excuse to come up with a billion mini games that put the Wiimote to use in unique ways.

The Nintendo World demo of Mario Party 8 had six samples. The names below are our own creations.

1. Barrel Lasso: You roll the controller like a lasso to grab barrels that are rotating around on a platform. Different barrels give different point values.

2. Can Shake: Your goal is to shake a can of soda and make it shoot out the tallest stream. To shake the can, you -- you guessed it -- shake the Wiimote.

3. Colored Ball Game: In this split-screen game, you're seated in a ship. Marbles either green or purple in color fall from above. You hold the Wiimote horizontally in your hand and tilt it to tilt an on-screen platform that filters the marbles into like-colored tubes.

4. Flag Raise: The Wiimote becomes a handle attached to a wheel in this minigame. By rotating the wheel, you make a flag rise. Get to the top first and you win.

5. Jet Ski: Mario and friends ride jet skis in this mini game. You steer by rotating the controller up and down like a steering wheel.

6. Shooting Gallery: This 4-way split screen game presents you with a series of targets, each with a bullseye in a different position. You use the Wiimote to aim at the target. The fact that the bullseye is different for each target means you'll have to stay alert.

We're sure there are dozens more. Nintendo seems to have a thing for making these mini games. Maybe coming up with a new mini game is part of the entrance exam when attempting to gain employment at the main office in Kyoto.

The Nintendo World demo had slots for 14 characters. Outside of two question-marked characters, we noticed Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, Waruigi and Toad. An expectedly Maroish cast.

While you might be wondering if there's really a need for another Mario Party, the use of the Wiimote may justify a purchase at least one more time. The game is also given a breath of fresh air with visuals that are markedly improved over their GameCube counterparts.

A "Wiilease" date has yet to be announced.

I have to admit I got bored of mario party a long long time ago, but you never know this could give the series a fresh impetus and new direction.

I love Mario Party. I've got 4 on the Gamecube, and it's an awesome multiplayer game. I will almost certainly be getting this.

I'm sure the Wii-mote will make Mario Party 8 a really great game.

Mario Party 9 should still be fun;

10, 11, 12.......... however!

After a while the game gets boring. The first Mario Party was great, so was the fourth (wich was the first on GameCube) and so will the eighth (being the first Wii party), but all the rest, well, they're just rehashes of the old game and never really inserted enough to be worth buying it for. If you never played four, however, playing five won't be the major problem, but don't bother buying six when you got five. One per console is enough to keep the most of us going, not?

After a while the game gets boring. The first Mario Party was great, so was the fourth (wich was the first on GameCube) and so will the eighth (being the first Wii party), but all the rest, well, they're just rehashes of the old game and never really inserted enough to be worth buying it for. If you never played fopur, however, playing five won't be the major problem, but don't bother buying six when you got fivee. One per console is enough to keep the most of us going, not?

yeah ur right I only had one on the n64 think it was 2, then only 4 on the cube.

Sounding good, have all 7 games, but I want simulated dice rolling. Hopefully its in the final game.

All seven? I'de be throwing money out of the window (and let's hope it hits someone) - I suspect it to be more fun than actually playing through them all...

I have number 4 and think it's overall better than number 5 (even though many others don't seem to think so). I only got 5 to get the Zelda Collectors Edition :heh:

This will be good for Mario Party,starting to get repetitive.This will make a good change,like flick the Wii-mote to hit the number box,when you press a button to make the character make a sound,it can go through the speaker.

This will be good for Mario Party,starting to get repetitive.This will make a good change,like flick the Wii-mote to hit the number box,when you press a button to make the character make a sound,it can go through the speaker.

Yes, simulated dice rolling with shaking the Wiimote at the start as well.

Taunts in the speaker as you said and when you get coins, the noise goes through the speaker as if you're physically receiving them, novelties like these will provide some MUCH NEEDED freshness in the series.

That is exactly why Mario Party 8 will be a worthy buyer again, but Mario party 9 might spoil it with being the same over again. But let's just look out for more Mario party 8 for now, and worry 'bout nine later... And I think, from what I've seen and read, that it's shaping up to be good altogether.

Am i the only one who hasn't played ANY mario party games, EVER?

no, I'm with you, never even been tempted.

Never bothered.. WarioWare and Monkey Ball have always kept me satisfied.

Personally if I am sad enough to have a entertainment based party Smash Bros. is the only way to go.

Am i the only one who hasn't played ANY mario party games, EVER?

No, I didn't get it either. It never really appealed to me. Are we getting one for the DS?

There is one for Game Boy Advance. But the scores were pretty bad. But if they would port Mario Party 1 (or 2) to the DS and throw in some touch-minigames and touch-controlled dice-rolling, the game would be worth buying. If think.

Personally if I am sad enough to have a entertainment based party Smash Bros. is the only way to go.

Here here!

If my friends and I have one of our rare gaming sessions, the only multiplayer games to come out are the Nintendo ones.

what i never heard of this.haha i always thought mario party suffered when wario ware was first released.Just get rid of the board game.it's a joke.It could be good on wii though.but do we really need another party game so soon?monkay ball,rayman,wario and now mario party?

Mario Party is a franchise. A lucrative one. So if Nintendo brings it to the masses, they'll cash in, any time, even if the market is flooded with party games. Wii's gonna be a party-blast, anyway - so no doubt we'll get the 'we' in 'Wii' working. Yes, we will...

i hate the mario party franchise.Sure it was the first of its kind and many games were even worse(crash bash?sonic pinball party?).i love wario ware and monkay ball mario party doesnt sppeal to me at all

But it appeals to many. Many. Many buyers. If it wouldn't, Nintendo wouldn't even bother making one anymore.