NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

Thread Read Behaviour

When to mark a thread as having no new posts?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. When to mark a thread as having no new posts?

• Only when I click on the thread and read it.
    • When I visit the site and visit again later. (Current behaviour.)

In response to this post, I am making a poll.

The current behaviour of the forum is to mark all threads as read (no new posts) when you next visit the site (after a certain time, I assume) even if you haven't clicked on that thread and read it. I believe this behaviour can be changed as a different forum that I go on (doom9) has the same forum software but has different thread read behaviour.

Would you rather a thread is marked as unread only when you read it or marked as read when you visit the site, go away then come back?

For me it's all about quick visits at work, so I end up not seeing a lot of posts.

I prefer only when I click but I don't read every thread, so it would be better a combination of both.

As I mentioned when you made the roiginal post I fully support the change if it can indeed be implemented. I often come on for 5 minutes or so before I go to work and this means that I usually only have time to check the cheneral chit chat and as such when I return later al the other posts are marked as read!

This then means that I have to go looking through all the other threads just to find the posts I've missed!

I'm with ya Oders!

Edit: Also if there's posts you don't read then you can read all the other then just go to the forum main page and click 'mark all posts read' to get rid of the new post symbol for threads you don't care about!

I don't care that much.. I only contribute to the short threads about speculation/debate.. after 5 pages the discussion is either dead or merely hype.

OMG BOX ART. 2000 pages long.

In theory PHP is modular so each user should have their own ability to see how they view the forums.. might need a code monkey to fix that up though.

I miss posts sometimes as well and this fills me with undeniable rage. I'd be nicer if the forums were set to mark posts/threads as read ONLY when you click them as the first option suggested.

That way... no more innocent lives would be lost.

I never realised that was a problem. I will look into it as most of you seem to want a change.

I never realised that was a problem. I will look into it as most of you seem to want a change.

Thanks man, I'm sure any adjustment would make browsing much easier. It's worth a try at least.

And...erm....what happened to those arrows to go to your last post in a thread??? they were really handy.

I'll go for the last option simply because I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me.

1. Oops meant to do this last week. Im my defence, yesterday was my first day off after a long hectic Dawson-esque week.

2. Just to clarify the 'other' way would be for all threads to be marked as unread, which in itself also has annoyingness. You'd have to manually mark every thread you have read as read. Its just the flip side really.

3. I'd imagine the time delay (of when you view and when it is classed as read) can be adjusted, if thats any help.

4. For the last (hopefully) time:

And...erm....what happened to those arrows to go to your last post in a thread??? they were really handy.

THAT FEATURE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY VBULLETIN

You mean the ones that are still there?

2. Just to clarify the 'other' way would be for all threads to be marked as unread, which in itself also has annoyingness. You'd have to manually mark every thread you have read as read. Its just the flip side really.

That's not true. You use the Quick Links>Mark Forums Read link.

Okedy doke. Remind me next Thurs (thus a week after this thread was opened) and we'll go from there. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Okedy doke. Remind me next Thurs (thus a week after this thread was opened) and we'll go from there. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Ta da da daaaaahhh!

Let's not have any more dumb threads please. All this 'rate this', 'rate that', 'poll about this', general rubbish that has been about recently doesn't make for good threads and conversation. Admittedly, I'm not giving you any ideas for threads to make, and I'm not the greatest thread maker, but recent ones around here have not been the best. I dunno what I want, maybe I'm just in a bad mood because of having to do work tonight. No more crappy crap please.

do you remeber this

the villa, this isn't just some crappy poll in the style of "who's the bestest Mario sidekick" or some other bollocks. This is actually an issue that I believe, and apparently Mr Odwin too, should be addressed and if possible changed!

Mooching over it, as most seem to side with Odwin, and found this;

1.Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2.Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3.Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

#1 is obviously how it is at the moment, the rest are how it could be. So #2 or #3? (Because granted, I have no idea what they mean ^_^)

Option 3 seems to be what the majority (including me) wants.

The difference between 2 and 3 seems small, but I agree that 3 appears to be preferable.

Do you think it'll be changed then? ...I'm sick of having threads marked as read that I've never even seen.

Sign in to follow this